Robert E. Lee’s Descendant Gets Run Out of Church After Denouncing White Supremacy

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

Robert E. Lee's Descendant Leaves Church After Denouncing White Supremacy | HuffPost

Robert E. Lee’s Descendant Leaves Church After Denouncing White Supremacy
“A faction of church members were concerned about my speech,” he said.
Jenna Amatulli
59aec7f11400002000fa80ee.jpeg

The descendant of Confederate General Robert E. Lee, Rev. Robert Lee IV, has left the Bethany United Church of Christ after receiving backlash for his denouncement of white supremacy at the MTV Video Music Awards last week.

On Monday, an open letter by Lee describing the events that unfolded after his speech was published on a website for the Auburn Seminary. In the piece, Lee wrote that some members of the church “were concerned” about his speech and that the attention it brought to the church wasn’t desired.

“My presence at the church as a descendent of Robert E. Lee and an outspoken opponent of white supremacy had already attracted attention, but with my appearance on MTV the media’s focus on my church reached an all time high,” he wrote. “A faction of church members were concerned about my speech and that I lifted up Black Lives Matter movement, the Women’ s March, and Heather Heyer as examples of racial justice work.”

59aec0d71400002000fa80d9.jpeg

He went on to say that “the church’s reaction was deeply hurtful” to him.

The 24-year-old pastor had served the North Carolina church for just six months and says he doesn’t want “this episode to be a distraction from the sacred work of confronting white supremacy in all its forms.”

Adding: “My calling and my vocation has led me to speak out against violence and oppression in any form, and I want to especially challenge white Christians in America to take seriously the deadly legacy of slavery in our country and commit ourselves to follow Jesus into a time of deep reflection, repentance and reconciliation.”

Subscribe to The Morning Email

Wake up to the day's most important news.

At the VMA’s, the fourth-great-nephew of Robert E. Lee introduced Susan Bro ― the mother of slain Charlottesville counter protester, Heather Heyer ― and said it was his “duty to speak out against racism, America’s original sin,” and advocated for viewers to “confront racism and white supremacy head on.”

Since Lee cut ties with the church, he’s been vocal on social media, expressing thanks to supporters and sharing his thoughts on speaking out:

Lee ended his open letter by saying he is “looking forward with great hope to what God’s unfolding future and what God has in store for me and ask for all of your prayers and blessings for the future of my ministry.”

Following white supremacist rallies in Charlottesville, Va., Lee told HuffPost that he was deeply troubled by the actions taken in his family’s name and that statues honoring his great-great-great-great uncle, Confederate General Robert E. Lee, ought to come down.

“It broke my heart to see a symbol of my family being used to allow such hate,” Lee told HuffPost. “All in the name of what my relative stood for.”

“These statues have morphed into a symbol of racism, a symbol of bigotry, a symbol of the alt-right, a symbol of white nationalist movements,” he said. “That is not okay and that can never be celebrated or honored in any way, whether you believe you should honor legacy or ancestors or not.”

bnew

Veteran
Daps
The thing is, white church's and their parishioners have been very consistent about upholding white supremacy. There have been outliers as to what extremes they should practice white supremacy but this pastor is an outlier not the rule. The congregations reaction isn't surprising in the least.

ahdsend

Superstar
Daps

HuffPost is now a part of Oath

“If people are saying they want to fix racism or fix this issue in our country, then they need to put their money where their mouth is,” says the Rev. Robert W. Lee IV.

A descendant of Confederate Army Gen. Robert E. Lee believes that reparations are necessary to tackle racism.

The Rev. Robert W. Lee IV, the general’s distant nephew, recently appeared on “CNN Tonight” after the House held a hearing on reparations for slavery. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) had come under fire for saying he didn’t think reparations “for something that happened 150 years ago for whom none of us currently living are responsible is a good idea.”

5d12ad252100009518f45cc7.jpeg

The Rev. Robert W. Lee IV disagrees with the Senate majority leader’s stance that reparations aren’t a good idea.

“I think we’re always a work in progress in this country, but no one currently alive was responsible for that, and I don’t think we should be trying to figure out how to compensate for it,” McConnell said.

Lee disagreed with the majority leader.

“It’s going to take both people of color and white people to fix the mess that white people have made, Lee said. “I’m a white man, I’ve got a lot of privilege .... How can we use our privilege to literally put our money where our mouth is. If people are saying they want to fix racism or ... fix this issue in our country, then they need to put their money where their mouth is, and that comes in the form of reparations.”

In response to those who feel the concept of privilege doesn’t exist, Lee plainly stated that “just because you say something doesn’t exist, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.”

Vann Newkirk, a writer for The Atlantic who appeared on the same segment, added that white privilege has taken shape institutionally. Citing discriminatory housing practices and home contract-buying schemes that cost black families in Chicago billions of dollars, and the millions of acres of farmland stolen from black farmers, Newkirk said, “We actually have material documented estimates of exactly how much was stolen from black people by slavery and Jim Crow.”

“These are things we can put on a ledger and say that the United States government was actually part of the party that was responsible for doing this,” he said.

Lee previously made headlines after criticizing President Donald Trump for calling the Confederate general a “true great fighter and a great general.”

“Last night I was disheartened to hear Donald Trump, our president, make comments about Robert E. Lee as a great general, as an honorable man. These were far from the truth,” Lee said.

He added: “Robert E. Lee fought for the continued enslavement of black bodies. It was for state’s rights, yes, but it was for state’s rights to own slaves.”

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Christians again showing scust behaviour. :mjcup:

Keep on worshipping that blue-eyed, blonde man brehs. :MjScus:

Forget how Christianity was used for WS purposes brehs. :mjpls:
Those aren't proper Christians. They don't even read the Bible. They just attend Church.

Ephesians 5:4 English Standard Version (ESV)

4 Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving

Matthew 5:22 English Standard Version (ESV)

22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother[a] will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell[c]of fire.

Matthew 12:34-37 English Standard Version (ESV)

34 You brood of vipers! How can you speak good, when you are evil? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. 35 The good person out of his good treasure brings forth good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure brings forth evil. 36 I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, 37 for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

James 1:26 English Standard Version (ESV)

26 If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless.

Jinx`

Well damn.
Daps
Reppin
15-10
Those aren't proper Christians. They don't even read the Bible. They just attend Church.
Word.. "Church" at this point is just a gathering for WS to go and be "on code" since they'll be swarmed if they try to act out one on one with their racism. They gotta disguise it with family "events" and "scriptures"... not so different from how it used to be way back