RIP Boss Key Productions (Studio Shuts Down)

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Cliff Bleszinski’s Boss Key Productions shuts down after three years
Radical Heights' "last ditch attempt" fails to save Lawbreakers studio.
KYLE ORLAND - 5/14/2018, 4:19 PM

Boss Key Productions, the studio behind gravity-bending shooter Lawbreakers and '80s-themed battle royale game Radical Heights has shut down. Founder Cliff Bleszinski, previously best known for his role as director on the Gears of War series, announced the studio was "effectively no more" Monday afternoon on Twitter.

"Lawbreakers was a great game that unfortunately failed to gain traction, and in a last-ditch attempt we scrambled to do our take on the huge battle royale genre with Radical Heights which was well received, however, it was too late," Bleszinski's statement says, in part. He adds that while "videogames will forever be a part of who I am, and I hope to make something new someday," he will be "tak[ing] some time off to reflect" in the near term.

After decades as a major public face of Epic Games, Bleszinski retired from the company in 2012 only to announce a comeback by forming Boss Key in April of 2014. What started as Project Bluestreak would eventually become Lawbreakers, which Boss Key launched in 2017 after extensive public demonstrations, beta tests, and gameplay tweaking.

Those three years of Lawbreakers development time would see the launch of shooters like Overwatch, PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, and Fortnite crowding the market with well-funded competition just when Boss Key needed to find a player base for its $30 game. Just last month, Bleszinski admitted that Lawbreakers "failed to find enough of an audience to generate the funds necessary to keep it sustained in the manner we had originally planned for and anticipated."

FURTHER READING
CliffyB’s Radical Heights is a new low for cashing in on the PUBG crazeIn December, Boss Key cofounder Arjan Brussee returned to his previous employer, Epic Games, to work on the mobile version of Fortnite. The subsequent Early Access release of Radical Heights failed to wow our own Sam Machkovech, though Bleszinski says servers for that game "will remain up for the near future."

Boss Key's rise and fall highlights just how hard it can be to make a sustainable impact in today's crowded gaming market. Even a studio with a strong gameplay concept in a popular genre, big-name veteran development talent, and plenty of media attention can sometimes be the victim of timing and ever-shifting market tastes.

Boss Key employed 65 people as of September 2017, according to Gamespot.

Cliff Bleszinski’s Boss Key Productions shuts down after three years

I liked Lawbreakers:mjcry:

Kingshango

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Epic right now
laughing-like-a-king-homer-simpson.gif

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
He should have done something original instead of trend hopping.

He did(well technically lawbreakers has been done before but it was in dev prior to OW) Problem was not linking up with a reputable publisher(Nexion is trash) to handle the marketing/advertising(most people didn’t even know about the betas or launch), not making this f2p like paladins, and cliffy b being completely obnoxious during the run up to launch(saying shyt like LB was the dark souls of FPS, shytting on Xbox fans, etc)

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
Sad but true. Overwatch's popularity has always puzzled me.

It's the same reason Pixar movies are popular, Overwatch and Fortnite are easily palatable art styles.

I love the Gears franchise but it will never do 360 numbers again because that art direction is now for a very niche base.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
"Taking some time off to reflect" :mjlol:

AKA trying to latch on with a bigger gaming studio and I got to wait to go through interviews :mjlol:

Never did like this dude :mjlol:

"DDDDDDOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM":bryan: