Re-rate classic films on how much fun you had. Vol.1

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
It's now 2016 folks. The tastes of the public and critics ebb and flow like a river.:obama:

In 2016, it's all about fun. Did you have fun? How much? What was the quip per line of dialogue ratio of each character?:patrice:

As we all know sometimes older films that were once celebrated age poorly for a number of reasons. Sometimes time reveals films that were simply ahead of their time.:yeshrug:

So based on the important critical film metric,fun,let's take a look at some classics and see how they have faired.

And please be aware this is not a one sided discussion. Please chime in with how much fun,or how little fun you had watching this film and if you want add some suggestions on what the filmmakers could have done to add more fun.:ohhh:

Saving Private Ryan
Saving_Private_Ryan_poster.jpg

We've have all heard the stories of war vets crying and having flashbacks in the theatres watching this powerful film.

But,what is the point of going to a theatre if you aren't going to have fun?

I feel the opening of the troops storming the beach just doesn't stand up to modern criticisms. Why is it so bleak? Why is nobody making jokes? These guys take the fun outta funeral!

I feel Joss Whedon could have been brought in like he was for Thor 2 to give this scene some lightness. Yeah war is terrible, but why would I want to feel bad watching it?

For example,when one of the soldiers pukes,the one beside him could have quipped "ah man, you just stained my uniform! You know hard it is to get that shyt out?!"

Then bullets riddle through the non fun complainers body. The guy who was puking,saved by his accident could then turn to the camera and smirk and reply" is it harder than blood?" :russ:

BOOM. You just brightened up the film and made it much more fun for the audience. To let them know yes war is happening, but don't take it too serious because they don't.:jawalrus:

I'm not a writer but it just feels the film is dark for no reason. It's actually pretty try hard on how edgy it wants to be. Couldn't have the one soldier said "we're still friends right?" As he slid his knife slowly into the other soldiers heart?:jbhmm:

I'm just asking.

I guess the acting and writing is OK at times. But the cinematography is so bleak and overcast. Why can't it be sunny?

What's the point of watching a film if it isn't fun ?

Anyway,feel free to add on.

I'm going to rate this one a drunken Mel Gibson (2/10) On the fun scale.
d4ffe153bd6076d10967516412f85a8d.jpg

Do better Spielberg. I pay to have fun not get preached at by edgy try hards.:ufdup:

Vol. 2 - Schindler's List coming soon.

Last edited:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
You probably really believed this was a funny and/or clever thread idea when you came up with it. And that's honestly all I got to say about this.

wwWafhH.gif

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Hmmm how does this work breh
It's pretty simple breh.

You merely judge classic films through the modern lense of how much fun was it? And if its not fun, suggest ideas to make said film fun.

I often read reviews today that make how much or how little fun they had as part of the critique so I thought it would be interesting to look at older films.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
It's pretty simple breh.

You merely judge classic films through the modern lense of how much fun was it? And if its not fun, suggest ideas to make said film fun.

I often read reviews today that make how much or how little fun they had as part of the critique so I thought it would be interesting to look at older films.
:ehh: I'm down