Rate This City: Day 35 - Compton

Rate: Compton

• Total voters

Supper

All Star
Daps
Punches far above it's weight when it comes to impact on AA and urban culture as a whole. Lotta black talent comes out of that lil ass city.

Respect to them.

@murksiderock

SImple Q: IYO- Is this the most influential/well known American suburb ever? Produces the most famous ppl p4p?

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
@murksiderock

SImple Q: IYO- Is this the most influential/well known American suburb ever? Produces the most famous ppl p4p?

For Black culture as a technicality yes, because "technically" Compton is a suburb of Los Angeles...

In actuality though, Compton is just an extension of South Central. It's the same type neighborhoods, same demographics, all that. You can drive from one into the next and never know you crossed the invisible border unless you're from there, it's the same shyt...

I've been to Compton once and if my aunt didn't tell me we were in Compton I wouldn't have known the difference...

Supper

All Star
Daps
For Black culture as a technicality yes, because "technically" Compton is a suburb of Los Angeles...

In actuality though, Compton is just an extension of South Central. It's the same type neighborhoods, same demographics, all that. You can drive from one into the next and never know you crossed the invisible border unless you're from there, it's the same shyt...

I've been to Compton once and if my aunt didn't tell me we were in Compton I wouldn't have known the difference...

Okay, just looked it up. CPT is considered an "inner suburb". But, you and someone else said before that really it should be part of la proper, but politics and city planning prevented that.

I can agree. It's way more urban looking than a lot of places here in Houston proper, some of which look straight up rural lol(Especially in some black parts of the city ie Acres Homes), but were annexed by the city.

And you're right that compton is pretty contiguous geographically with the east side of South Central just like Inglewood is with the west side.

Still, it's remarkable that so much magic in the form of art and sports has come out of this small place. I sit and wonder why this place as opposed to some other part of "greater south central" lets say, especially those closer to the core of LA like crenshaw, leimert park or central ave?

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
You sound hurt? :mjlol:

Nashville has one of the hottest real estate markets in the country right now because of it’s popularity.

Vandy outranks Atlanta best school, Emory.
It has 3 HBCU’s, like Atlanta.
A strong black middle class, like Atlanta.

However, unlike Atlanta, it has an identity. :umad:

Atlanta has 5 HBCUs breh :dwillhuh:

Morehouse
Spelman
Clarke Atlanta
Morris Brown
ITC

invalid

Banned
Daps
Atlanta has 5 HBCUs breh :dwillhuh:

Morehouse
Spelman
Clarke Atlanta
Morris Brown
ITC

Six if you include Morehouse School of Medicine.

Morris Brown and ITC I didn't consider because they're so small but you're right.