Rate This City: Day 14 - St Louis

Rate: St Louis

• Total voters

WaveWhisperer

Stainless Steel
Daps
Reppin
Steel
Use to stay off holly hills and virginia ave. Quiet and mixed neighborhood. Cheap places to rent. Had a good sized park down the street with a ymca on one side. People minded they business and were friendly.

Sir Richard Spirit

Superstar
Daps
I’ve driven through Gary, it’s far smaller and poorer. Like I said, you had to been in the shyttiest part of the city or been in East St. Louis which is a completely different city in a different state.

Michael Jackson’s childhood home is the 2nd biggest attraction in Gary after a low rent aquatorium.

St. Louis has one of most prestigious medical schools and universities in the country.
danforth-campus-aerial.jpg

We also have one of the best hospitals in the country as well as the best hospital for cardiovascular issues in the Midwest.
screenshot-at-aug-14-16-25-11.png

We have one of the greatest Zoos, Science Centers, Art Museums, etc. in the country.
Guardian-paint-Pros-St-Louis-zoo-.jpg

SaintLouisArtMuseum_Donovan.jpg

Forrest Park was created by the same guy who created Central Park.
1443816694993.jpeg

St. Louis has faced a decline in the last decades but it was once one of the greatest cities in the country. Gary was never that.

There’s still nice many middle class neighborhoods and wealth in the greater St. Louis area that you wouldn’t find in the best parts of Gary.
I’ve grew up in the suburbs of St. Louis and never saw so much as a drug deal growing up. It’s not a giant wasteland.
ccimage-3311396283_3050617c90_b.jpg

ISr1mjz1mmllt60000000000.jpg

ladue-2.jpg
1-8-1024x682.jpg

02Woodlawn.jpg

I had a great time in STL recently. People kept telling me to be careful and how STL was hood. I honestly felt like I lucked up or everyone was wrong.

I stayed in Tower Grove South by the park. My sister and her fam stayed in Tower Grove East by the park. We literally walked to each other airbnb everyday no matter the time and never had an issue. There were some spots that looked bad near my sister but there were white people everywhere walking dogs and jogging. :mjlol:

We were like wtf is going on? Is this gentrification in real time? :dahell:

We hit up the medical district and was in shock. Why are all these hospitals here? Wait a minute why are they building this target with condos on top. It seem like everywhere I went we were either in a great neighborhood or a neighborhood that was almost great. The zoo, science center, etc were all great and I was in shock because EVERYONE kept telling me STL was the hood.

I’d definitely live in STL/Clayton/Shereburg?

MustafaSTL

Achievement In Every Field of Human Endeavor
Daps
I had a great time in STL recently. People kept telling me to be careful and how STL was hood. I honestly felt like I lucked up or everyone was wrong.

I stayed in Tower Grove South by the park. My sister and her fam stayed in Tower Grove East by the park. We literally walked to each other airbnb everyday no matter the time and never had an issue. There were some spots that looked bad near my sister but there were white people everywhere walking dogs and jogging. :mjlol:

We were like wtf is going on? Is this gentrification in real time? :dahell:

We hit up the medical district and was in shock. Why are all these hospitals here? Wait a minute why are they building this target with condos on top. It seem like everywhere I went we were either in a great neighborhood or a neighborhood that was almost great. The zoo, science center, etc were all great and I was in shock because EVERYONE kept telling me STL was the hood.

I’d definitely live in STL/Clayton/Shereburg?
Yeah if you’re not around many hoods on the North Side or North County (north suburbs), you won’t see many. Some on the south side too in certain areas. But yeah, ain’t no hoods in Central West End, Forest Park, Tower Grove or Midtown like you said you were at.