Raphael Saadiq | Broken Record (Full Episode)

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
it's always interesting hearing how songs come to be

18:33 mark

Saadiq said the first thing him and D'angelo worked on was "Lady". he said he had the idea already for "Lady" because it was supposed to be a song for Tony! Toni! Tone! but Dwanye and Timothy didn't like it:ohhh:

but he played the guitar riff for D'angelo and he liked it. he also said it's the first time his guitar playing was ever on a record

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
19:54 mark

also, interesting hearing him say he feels like they were mocking Dilla with how they were making music and playing behind the beat when were working on the song "Lady" and the album, Brown Sugar

^this^ was in reference to Dilla's influence on them and Hip Hop as a whole; him and D'angelo being huge fans of Dilla, Wu, Tribe etc

• Dap
Reactions: Hat

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
19:54 mark

also, interesting hearing him say he feels like they were mocking Dilla with how they were making music and playing behind the beat when were working on the song "Lady" and the album, Brown Sugar

^this^ was in reference to Dilla's influence on them and Hip Hop as a whole; him and D'angelo being huge fans of Dilla, Wu, Tribe etc

Saadiq is frontin' again though, lol.

Thing is, they couldn't have been mocking Dilla. Which is why dude said, "That early?" Quest and D'Angelo said 'Lady" was done late '94, Dilla barely even knew Tip when Brown Sugar was being recorded. He just met dude. And Dilla's first real sh*t didn't drop until after D's debut. So you see, Saadiq corrected it to, "I just love Hip Hop". LOL!! You can't be mocking a dude who ain't even get his music out there yet.

Tip said he first played Dilla for Saadiq and D'Angelo to form The Ummah in late '95, right before he started on Busta's first album. So it was a little early for dudes to be copying Dilla. They didn't even know bro existed yet.

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
Saadiq is frontin' again though, lol.

Thing is, they couldn't have been mocking Dilla. Which is why dude said, "That early?" Quest and D'Angelo said 'Lady" was done late '94, Dilla barely even knew Tip when Brown Sugar was being recorded. He just met dude. And Dilla's first real sh*t didn't drop until after D's debut. So you see, Saadiq corrected it to, "I just love Hip Hop". LOL!! You can't be mocking a dude who ain't even get his music out there yet.

Tip said he first played Dilla for Saadiq and D'Angelo to form The Ummah in late '95, right before he started on Busta's first album. So it was a little early for dudes to be copying Dilla. They didn't even know bro existed yet.

yeah, when he said that, i gave the side eye like :comeon:

it was Amp Fiddler who introduced Tip to Dilla when they went to Detriot.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
yeah, when he said that, i gave the side eye like :comeon:

it was Amp Fiddler who introduced Tip to Dilla when they went to Detriot.

Truth! Amp was there with Parliament.

That's one of those tours I wish I could've seen. That Lollapalooza lineup was CRAZY!

But yeah, Saadiq is always telling weird stories to attach himself to sh*t that didn't even happen. Like saying he taught Quik how to program drums and sh*t. And taught Dawn Robinson how to sing. LOL!!

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
Truth! Amp was there with Parliament.

That's one of those tours I wish I could've seen. That Lollapalooza lineup was CRAZY!

But yeah, Saadiq is always telling weird stories to attach himself to sh*t that didn't even happen. Like saying he taught Quik how to program drums and sh*t. And taught Dawn Robinson how to sing. LOL!!

exactly! yeah, i remember Tip telling the story how Amp was the one who introduced him to Dilla

same here, bruh. i know that shyt was nice.

He said he taught Quik how to program drums and Dawn how to sing?! WTF?!!:russ:

DontEemTry

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This was a really good interview. The guy interviewing him is very knowledgeable and kept the conversation flowing nicely.

Had no idea Saadiq was that chilled out. :ehh: