Rami Malek to Play Freddie Mercury

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
‘Mr. Robot’ Star Rami Malek to Play Freddie Mercury in Queen Biopic

“Mr. Robot” star Rami Malek is attached to play Freddie Mercury in long-development biopic “Bohemian Rhapsody” from GK Films with Bryan Singer in talks to direct.

New Regency and Fox are coming aboard to co-produce the film with Graham King producing as well.

Singer confirmed the news on Instagram with a photo of the group confirming his involvement as well as Malek’s.

“The Theory Of Everything” scribe Anthony McCarten penned the script.
:patrice:

Last I heard about this Sacha Baron Cohen dropped out because he wanted a real look at Freddie, the highs and lows while Queen wanted a feel good movie that had Freddie dying in the movie and them continuing on as a band.

Sacha Baron Cohen Talks Leaving the Freddie Mercury Biopic

"There are amazing stories about Freddie Mercury," Cohen said on The Howard Stern Show Tuesday. "The guy was wild. I mean he was living an extreme lifestyle. There are stories of… little people with plates with cocaine on their heads walking around a party."
Cohen, however, said he understood why the surviving members of Queen wanted a more PG-rated version of the film that vaunted the band's legacy. But the actor also admitted he should've known from his first meeting with the band that creative differences would arise.

"A member of the band, I won't say who, he said, 'This is such a great movie because it's got such an amazing thing that happens in the middle of the movie,'" Cohen recalled. "I go, 'What happens in the middle of the movie?' He goes, 'Freddie dies.'" While Cohen assumed the band meant the film would be structured non-linearly like Pulp Fiction, he soon realized that they wanted the second half of the film to focus on how Queen carried on after Mercury's death in 1991.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
DI_FSldXUAAuGFG.jpg:large

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I like Rami but this seems like a terrible casting. Like, find the only remotely Eastern looking dude in Hollywood type of casting lol