Racism by non-whites..? (warning: a little long read)

DarkmanX

All Star
Daps
I live out in Europe. Where i live & grew up tho isnt the most glamorous place.Its our version
of the hood. Where all the minorities are placed basically. It typically isnt as racially divided in this country between minroties tho. It happens of course, but i wouldnt say its like the US.

BUT, again, it does happen!

Growing up i was always a lil weary (of whites & other minorities) & confused. Always felt "racially aware". Cuz i was always "racially aware". Knew who & what i was & how much love i had & have for other black people. Maybe i didnt vocalize it but i always had a "bias" (in a good way) towards other black people.

I was a little off on the muslims tho. Alot of black muslims my way rolltoo heavy with
them arabs. More-so than a non muslim black person, just based on the religion.
And then it comes with an agenda. An arabmight be like "fukk you", but if you muslim THEN they treat you like fam.

Heres my point;

A day ago i heard a dude ive been knowing for about 6 months tell a story of a girl he tried to hook up with that worked with us. Asked him what happened & he was like "she seems like she a nikka lover" (not that word exactly but almost the same in the language we speak.
He did however use the word nikka in our language tho) & seemed off on her cuz of it.

It made me feel confused. What made him think i wouldnt be offended by it?

But hes a minority himself! Think hes half irish & half morroccan but never grew up
with his morroccan parent. Hes into hip-hop (i know it doesnt mean shyt but im just explaining) & grew up with a few black folks where he grew up i think.

A while after i gave him a hint about what he said and he realized what i meant
and he immediately apologized. But i had to act like i wasnt offended. Cuz when people
think certain shyt offends you then theyll use it against you and/or be fake. I like when
people show me their true self so i can see who thorough and who plastic.

How should i have reacted? Should i have gotten angry and started to pick a fight with him over it or let it slide based on the fact that it may not have been as serious as it may have seemed?

&

Since we dont expect it as much should we be more weary of other minorities being racist towards blacks? Whites are &/or can be racist, but so can them other fools.

DarkmanX

All Star
Daps
What is your language

I live in Sweden. Im not from Sweden but yeah..

My fam immagrated from Africa to Europe a long time ago. Not to Sweden at first, but practically most of my life.

MrWestGrand

The Negotiator
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I live out in Europe. Where i live & grew up tho isnt the most glamorous place.Its our version
of the hood. Where all the minorities are placed basically. It typically isnt as racially divided in this country between minroties tho. It happens of course, but i wouldnt say its like the US.

BUT, again, it does happen!

Growing up i was always a lil weary (of whites & other minorities) & confused. Always felt "racially aware". Cuz i was always "racially aware". Knew who & what i was & how much love i had & have for other black people. Maybe i didnt vocalize it but i always had a "bias" (in a good way) towards other black people.

I was a little off on the muslims tho. Alot of black muslims my way rolltoo heavy with
them arabs. More-so than a non muslim black person, just based on the religion.
And then it comes with an agenda. An arabmight be like "fukk you", but if you muslim THEN they treat you like fam.

Heres my point;

A day ago i heard a dude ive been knowing for about 6 months tell a story of a girl he tried to hook up with that worked with us. Asked him what happened & he was like "she seems like she a nikka lover" (not that word exactly but almost the same in the language we speak.
He did however use the word nikka in our language tho) & seemed off on her cuz of it.

It made me feel confused. What made him think i wouldnt be offended by it?

But hes a minority himself! Think hes half irish & half morroccan but never grew up
with his morroccan parent. Hes into hip-hop (i know it doesnt mean shyt but im just explaining) & grew up with a few black folks where he grew up i think.

A while after i gave him a hint about what he said and he realized what i meant
and he immediately apologized. But i had to act like i wasnt offended. Cuz when people
think certain shyt offends you then theyll use it against you and/or be fake. I like when
people show me their true self so i can see who thorough and who plastic.

How should i have reacted? Should i have gotten angry and started to pick a fight with him over it or let it slide based on the fact that it may not have been as serious as it may have seemed?

&

Since we dont expect it as much should we be more weary of other minorities being racist towards blacks? Whites are &/or can be racist, but so can them other fools.
Should explored the issue not with anger, but by playing dumb, ask him what did he mean, or why does it matter if she's attracted to black guys? Allow him to fully take the bed sheet from his head...:lolbron:

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
Half Irish, half Moroccan = a minority? :mjlol:

If that's your boy, you should've challenged him on his use of the word and why he thought it was okay to adhere to and express racist ideas. If he wasn't, you still should've challenged him on it and possibly thrown hands if you knew you'd win (:pachaha:)

DarkmanX

All Star
Daps
Should explored the issue not with anger, but by playing dumb, ask him what did he mean, or why does it matter if she's attracted to black guys? Allow him to fully take the bed sheet from his head...:lolbron:

Yeah, that was what i first wanted to do. But i did it in a fast way when i hinted to what he said. Thats when he realized what i meant
and apologized if i took offense.

@ bolded

Hilarious!!

Dont think hes a muslim tho. He apparently wasnt raised by his morrocan parent so idk where he stands on religion. But
he definitely isnt a practicing muslim at all (!!!) IF he is.

Half Irish, half Moroccan = a minority? :mjlol:

If that's your boy, you should've challenged him on his use of the word and why he thought it was okay to adhere to and express racist ideas. If he wasn't, you still should've challenged him on it and possibly thrown hands if you knew you'd win (:pachaha:)

Well out here its different. The states is more racially divided. Out here is basically every non ethnic group gets lumped up into the same
group. And he was raised in a "hood" too. Not as bad as where i live & grew, but still. We typically face the same issues & struggles. So every non Swede is considered a minority almost, especially if its non white. I know hes half white but he certainly doesnt look ANYTHING remotely close to irish or w/e.

When i called him a minority i was thinkning his Morroccan side. He doesnt even look irish either. He isnt someone youd expect to be irish whatsoever.

As far as what you said, yeah maybe so. However then he'd probably just mumble some shyt & said he didnt mean it in that way & all that.
He is a generally a nice dude but hes a bullshytter too i feel. So he'd just say some shyt that would sound cool or w/e at the moment.

Elle Seven

Superstar
Daps
In that particular situation, I think I would have proceeded the same way. Give him one impression of how I feel, though I'd actually be feeling another way, to allow him to continue telling on himself. You can learn a lot from someone if you are willing to listen twice as long as you might want to speak (just think of us having two ears versus one mouth). I guess it would have depended on what you wanted to come out of the interaction. For example, did you want to educate him on why he should refrain from using the word, did you want to get to know his thoughts on this particular group of people, or did you want to get to know him on an individual level. My point is in determining what you wanted to get out of the conversation, it would lead you not to simply be reactive. That's a guide not just for this conversation but perhaps any conversation with someone...speaking constructively as a goal.

On an lesser related note, the first and only time I've been called a '******' to my face, ironically, was while walking down the street in Morocco, by a group of young Moroccan boys. I felt confused about how I should have reacted because it was clear they didn't speak English (I reflexively stopped and backtracked to confront them). That was the first time I ever started wondering if people like me (Black Americans) are conditioned to always react whenever we hear that word. I went off on them but felt stupid doing it the entire time, completely aware my reaction is one which would have been 'better suited' to, say, a white person in the USA who should have known better than to use that word towards a black person. I didn't get a malicious vibe from this boys at all but still said what I thought I was supposed to.

ezrathegreat

Veteran
Daps
The worst white supremacists I've ever had to deal with were non-white:manny:, a lot of non-black minorities jump at the chance to practice white supremacy and distance themselves from black people. That's why I simply don't give a fukk when some fukked up shyt happens to them.

DTR90

Rookie
Daps
Of course racism isn't a white only thing. In fact, if you choose to go with the "power plus prejudice" definition, then that definitely applies to Arabs since they've been by far the most powerful and predominant ethnic group in the Middle East a lot longer than white people have even lived in America.

Here in the UK black people and Asians seem to hate each other more than either hate whites.

DarkmanX

All Star
Daps
Off top - Thnx for all the replies!

In that particular situation, I think I would have proceeded the same way. Give him one impression of how I feel, though I'd actually be feeling another way, to allow him to continue telling on himself. You can learn a lot from someone if you are willing to listen twice as long as you might want to speak (just think of us having two ears versus one mouth). I guess it would have depended on what you wanted to come out of the interaction. For example, did you want to educate him on why he should refrain from using the word, did you want to get to know his thoughts on this particular group of people, or did you want to get to know him on an individual level. My point is in determining what you wanted to get out of the conversation, it would lead you not to simply be reactive. That's a guide not just for this conversation but perhaps any conversation with someone...speaking constructively as a goal.

On an lesser related note, the first and only time I've been called a '******' to my face, ironically, was while walking down the street in Morocco, by a group of young Moroccan boys. I felt confused about how I should have reacted because it was clear they didn't speak English (I reflexively stopped and backtracked to confront them). That was the first time I ever started wondering if people like me (Black Americans) are conditioned to always react whenever we hear that word. I went off on them but felt stupid doing it the entire time, completely aware my reaction is one which would have been 'better suited' to, say, a white person in the USA who should have known better than to use that word towards a black person. I didn't get a malicious vibe from this boys at all but still said what I thought I was supposed to.

Well, i just want him to know that 1) im black & love my people! so dont think you (he!) can say all that shyt to me like its all good.
2) to make him feel as i did when he hears something that he might take offense to. To know how it feels and hopefully then he'll learn.

Damn thats crazy. As crazy as this sounds but out in the world the minute they see a black american they immediately go music or movies. Cuz the US always have had a strong hold on culture as far as TV, movies, music etc so thats almost all people know. So when them boys in Morrocco said that they probably heard it from a movie or a song so they think its all good.
The worst white supremacists I've ever had to deal with were non-white:manny:, a lot of non-black minorities jump at the chance to practice white supremacy and distance themselves from black people. That's why I simply don't give a fukk when some fukked up shyt happens to them.

Real spit. Thats why ive always had a lil pessimism about alot of them & alot of the shyt they claim to stand for and riot about.

We in this alone. Sometimes can't even rely on people that DO look like us!!!

True. But how do you (or we) deal with it knowing this and knowing we live is a world of mixtured people of all races & nationalities?

Of course racism isn't a white only thing. In fact, if you choose to go with the "power plus prejudice" definition, then that definitely applies to Arabs since they've been by far the most powerful and predominant ethnic group in the Middle East a lot longer than white people have even lived in America.

Here in the UK black people and Asians seem to hate each other more than either hate whites.

Word? By asians you mean..?? Middle eastern types or chinese, japanese etc?

But i agree. Tbh ive never really rocked with arabs like that. At least the muslim ones. Its not that im against that religion but usually them the types who be hardcore & at times extremely into their religion out here.

Last edited:
Daps
True. But how do you (or we) deal with it knowing this and knowing we live is a world of mixtured people of all races & nationalities?

I have experienced that spiritual alignment and common interests are far more important than blood or ethnic ties. There are Whites who will kill another White man to protect a Black Man who shares the same views and interests as them.

DTR90

Rookie
Daps
Word? By asians you mean..?? Middle eastern types or chinese, japanese etc?

But i agree. Tbh ive never really rocked with arabs like that. At least the muslim ones. Its not that im against that religion but usually them the types who be hardcore & at times extremely into their religion out here.

Pakistanis mostly. There's been a couple of incidents in my hometown where black guys have actually been murdered by gangs of them. Although it's hard to say if they actually were racially motivated, I can't recall any white-on-black or vice versa incidents like that off the top of my head.