• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Idk seems like the Rift and Vive aren't exactly 1:1 because some of the things you complain about seems to not be issues on the Rift for some reason from a cursory glance(just skimming through threads.) :yeshrug:

Idk. I've dabbled with 1440K for about a few weeks when I bought a 1440P monitor to test out so I'm familiar with image quality so I have experience there. I haven't tried the Gear, the only thing I tried was a DIY cardboard VR someone at work made and image quality was fine imo.
Go to Best Buy and try the GearVR. That's basically the quality you get with the Vive (and I'm assuming the Rift, but we'll see). One gaf poster said shyt was barely better than the GearVR and I didn't believe him. Now that I have the Vive in my hands, I agree with him. The Screen Door Effect is very, very real unfortunately. :mjcry:

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
thats one thing Rift got kinda pinchred for tho, using a regular controller instead of motion controls. with out motion controls, you just have an expensive head tracker.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Go to Best Buy and try the GearVR. That's basically the quality you get with the Vive (and I'm assuming the Rift, but we'll see). One gaf poster said shyt was barely better than the GearVR and I didn't believe him. Now that I have the Vive in my hands, I agree with him. The Screen Door Effect is very, very real unfortunately. :mjcry:
Sounds like extreme GAF hyperbole. The graphics rendering from a Gear VR phone and a PC with a 970+ is so large that I'll dismiss it as hyperbole. Screendoor effect is not a issue of resolution. Idk why people often interchange the two.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
thats one thing Rift got kinda pinchred for tho, using a regular controller instead of motion controls. with out motion controls, you just have an expensive head tracker.
Good thing Sony was moving two steps ahead when they made the PS4 controller with built in motion controls and lightbar. :banderas:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Sounds like extreme GAF hyperbole. The rendering from a Gear VR phone and a PC is so large that I'll dismiss it as hyperbole. Screendoor effect is not a issue of resolution.
Nah, it's really not. The resolution on phones is 1080p or higher now. The Rift and Vive can't even reach that. 1,080 x 1,200 in each eye is well below 1080p (1920X1080). We're talking nearly half the Vertical resolution. That's significant and very noticeable

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Nah, it's really not. The resolution on phones is 1080p or higher now. The Rift and Vive can't even reach that. 1,080 x 1,200 in each eye is well below 1080p (1920X1080). We're talking nearly half the Vertical resolution. That's significant and very noticeable
The rift resolution is 1200x1080 compared to the Gear's 1400x1280 but the big takeaway is the PC behind a Rift/Vive is much more powerful and can produce visuals that cannot be rendered from a phone. You're not going to get no Vanishing of Ethan Carter visuals on a Gear VR breh. A 6 inch smartphone does not compare to a PC with a 980TI.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
The rift resolution is 1200x1080 compared to the Gear's 1400x1280 but the big takeaway is the PC behind a Rift/Vive is much more powerful and can produce visuals that cannot be rendered from a phone. You're not going to get no Vanishing of Ethan Carter visuals on a Gear VR breh. A 6 inch smartphone does not compare to a PC with a 980TI.
I'm strictly talking resolution. My Vive, with my two Titan Xs, can render much more advanced scenery than a fukking phone, but the resultion is still shyt. The Vive and Rift can render real games, but that doesn't affect the resolution. I think you're confusing the number of polygons and shyt with actual resolution. They are two different things

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm strictly talking resolution. My Vive, with my two Titan Xs, can render much more advanced scenery than a fukking phone, but the resultion is still shyt. The Vive and Rift can render real games, but that doesn't affect the resolution. I think you're confusing the number of polygons and shyt with actual resolution. They are two different things
Lol I'm not mixing it up breh. I know what you're talking about. Either way, it should be noted that the games and whatnot will push far more immserive stuff on the PC VR than the Gear.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I'd rather use a controller.
in VR?

the motion controllers can act as you hands, or objects in you hands. it's a much more natural way to interact with 3D space

a controller just wasn't designed for that. at best it's an abstraction, where you push an arbitrary button to perform an action. it's never gonna be as intuitive or natural as a pair of motion controllers in VR

Last edited:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
in VR?

the motion controllers can act as you hands, or objects in you hands. it's a much more natural way to interact with 3D space

a controller just wasn't designed for that. at best it's an abstraction, where you push an arbitrary button to perform an action. it's never gonna be as intuitive or natural as a pair of motion controllers in VR
They shoulda put more physical buttons on the Vive controllers though. All you got is a trackpad, 2 grip buttons (which are awkward as fukk to use), a menu button, an exit button, and a trigger. True, you can use the trackpad and make multiple "fake" buttons, but believe me, that doesn't work too well. It's like touch screen buttons :francis:

They shoulda put four physical buttons below the trackpads, in the typical button scheme. When I say the Vive controllers are glorified Wiimotes, I'm not exaggerating.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
They shoulda put more physical buttons on the Vive controllers though. All you got is a trackpad, 2 grip buttons (which are awkward as fukk to use), a menu button, an exit button, and a trigger. True, you can use the trackpad and make multiple "fake" buttons, but believe me, that doesn't work too well. It's like touch screen buttons :francis:

They shoulda put four physical buttons below the trackpads, in the typical button scheme. When I say the Vive controllers are glorified Wiimotes, I'm not exaggerating.
do the trackpads have haptics like the Steam Controller? it does a pretty good job with the 'touch menus' of feeling like physical buttons

but I think we need to really think about this stuff differently for VR. these buttons on a controller are necessary to perform some arbitrary function. but you don't need to press X to crouch, if you can just crouch in real life. it seems they're pushing for games with a more natural interface. you grab, point, click, rotate, etc, and hopefully don't need extra buttons

Nintendo made classic games with only two buttons :troll:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
do the trackpads have haptics like the Steam Controller? it does a pretty good job with the 'touch menus' of feeling like physical buttons

but I think we need to really think about this stuff differently for VR. these buttons on a controller are necessary to perform some arbitrary function. but you don't need to press X to crouch, if you can just crouch in real life. it seems they're pushing for games with a more natural interface. you grab, point, click, rotate, etc, and hopefully don't need extra buttons

Nintendo made classic games with only two buttons :troll:
No, unfortunately, there's no haptic feedback on the trackpads. That woulda been a good idea though. They shoulda done that.

I think you'll understand the limitations of the controllers more when you get your Vive next month.

The current games are being developed around the controllers, which I think is limiting them.

True it sounds cool to use the left controller to pump a shotgun and then use the right controller to shoot, but that gets old quick (and not to mention tiring). Physically ducking is also cool...at first, but then that get's tiring too. I'm talking physically tiring. Using your body for everything is cool for a bit, but only in short bursts. Think about all the things you do in games. Using your body to do everything really isn't possible for more than an hour or so (and I'm a physically fit person). Plus, you gotta worry about the headset moving around and the three wires running out the back of your head. I almost tripped over them while turning around too quickly once.