PSVR Launches 10/13/2016 at $399

Price?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
ordered the bundle at walmart and cancelled my gamestop pre-order so I can pick it up in store on release date. I do think Walmart authorizes your card if that is a factor. I will check here in a bit.

edit: Yeah, they authorize. They didn't charge me the tax for some reason either

Pre-Ordering at walmart.com almost feels like buying something online almost 15-16 years ago. Just seems out of date, can't even change the payment method from what I am gathering either.:skip:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
GameStop In-Store PlayStation VR Demos Coming Soon

There's gonna be demo units from June to December of this eyar at 500,000 gamestops.

Gamers will be able to demo PlayStation VR in stores beginning in June.

As the biggest video game retailer in the world, GameStop is an important partner for Sony. To highlight that fact, John Koller, vice president of marketing at Sony Interactive Entertainment, was on hand at the GameStop investors meeting in Dallas on Wednesday to give shareholders a preview of PlayStation VR. The hands-on demos were also a preview of what gamers will be able to experience in GameStop stores.

During a presentation to GameStop GME 0.44% executives and investors on Thursday, Koller said Sony SNE -3.44% will be offering consumers over 500,000 in-store demos across retailers from June through December this year.

Koller said experiential marketing will be a big part of Sony’s marketing plans for PlayStation VR, which the company is launching as a new platform. He highlights games such as RIGS, Highwire Games’ Golem, CCP Games’ EVE: Valkyrie, and Electronic Arts’ Star Wars Battlefront VR.

The one major difference between launching the PlayStation 4 a few years ago and PlayStation VR is that this new technology “needs to be lived to be believed,” according to Koller.

Get Data Sheet, Fortune’s technology newsletter.

“Trial drives the conversion to purchase,” Koller said. “You have to be able to go into a GameStop to try this. We’ll have a fantastic technology, but you need to get your hands on it.”

Tony Bartel, COO of GameStop, said GameStop will have a significant number of stores with dedicated PlayStation VR demo stations. In addition, Sony will be touring some trucks that will pull up and show the new VR headset to consumers.

“We’re clearly going to be the key launch partner,” Bartel said. “We’ll be selling Sony PlayStation VR hardware, bundles, and games in stores.”

Paul Raines, CEO of GameStop, said, “We’ve played all the VR that’s come through our office, and the setup time for PlayStation VR is significantly easier and the space required to demo is small, so I expect we’ll have a lot of demos in stores, unlike the Oculus or HTC.”

GameStop has rolled out an in-store HTC Vive demo program in 10 stores across the country, but the retailer is clearly hedging its bets on Sony and its 36 million PlayStation 4 consumer base in the virtual reality race.

“We want to create a large footprint in high-visibility stores to have front-window demo experiences,” Koller said.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
After fukking around with the Vive for a few weeks, I'm not convinced VR is the next thing. I have low hopes for the PSVR. :mjcry:

It'll be underpowered and gimmicky :mjcry:

I wanted VR to do well so much, but after experiencing it, I gotta say, it's a letdown :mjcry:

shyt literally has me :to: right now. I was so excited for this shyt. Like beyond anything in the past few years. shyt let me down. Muthafukkas :mjcry:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
After fukking around with the Vive for a few weeks, I'm not convinced VR is the next thing. I have low hopes for the PSVR. :mjcry:

It'll be underpowered and gimmicky :mjcry:

I wanted VR to do well so much, but after experiencing it, I gotta say, it's a letdown :mjcry:

shyt literally has me :to: right now. I was so excited for this shyt. Like beyond anything in the past few years. shyt let me down. Muthafukkas :mjcry:
Maybe, just maybe the software you're playing on the Vive isn't really special?? I mean to discount the technology because of some mediocre games is a bit premature. It's like someone playing Snake on a old azz Nokia N gage going "I don't think mobile gaming is the future I mean after fukking around with this I'm not sure."

You're playing tech demos and shovelware games and going "Meh VR is doomed" Also you're literally just one person spreading VR impressions on a forum where most don't have it. Too much of a small sample size.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Maybe, just maybe the software you're playing on the Vive isn't really special?? I mean to discount the technology because of some mediocre games is a bit premature. It's like someone playing Snake on a old azz Nokia N gage going "I don't think mobile gaming is the future I mean after fukking around with this I'm not sure."
You got alot of faith in that golem game breh :heh:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You got alot of faith in that golem game breh :heh:
I'm not riding on one game to define VR. One impression of someone playin tech demos isn't much. Launch games usually suck. Garbage launch games aren't indicative of what's possible on a new platform. Everywhere else online seems to be praising the Rift.

IGN reviewed it and gave it a 9.

The Verdict
After spending many hours in virtual reality, I believe the launch of the Oculus Riftis the start of a new era. The first time you put it on is the closest thing to real magic you’re likely to experience anytime soon. It’s true that VR has a lot of maturing to do, but this amazing headset is a front-row seat to watch gaming history being made. Its current lack of motion controllers means these enticing experiences are mostly “look, don’t touch,” but even though it can’t live up to its full potential quite yet, the ability to so easily immerse ourselves in a game world or other virtual environment is worth every penny.
globhead_dpad_red.png

The Verge gave it an 8

• GOOD STUFF
  • Great-looking industrial design
  • A few really good seated VR games
  • Promising future game catalog with Touch controllers
    BAD STUFF
  • Expensive, especially with gaming PC cost figured in
  • Not much to do outside gaming
  • Lack of motion controls at launch is a big weakness
    VERGE SCORE
vrg_oculus_number.0.png

Last edited:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I'm not riding on one game to define VR. One impression of someone playin tech demos isn't much. Launch games usually suck. Garbage launch games aren't indicative of what's possible on a new platform. Everywhere else online seems to be praising the Rift.

IGN reviewed it and gave it a 9.

The Verge gave it an 8

Time will tell. You already know where I am on this. I've said it a million times. I think it's gonna be a big gimmick that gets thrown in the bushes with the quickness, but, i would be happy if it succeeded. Ever since the matrix I've had dreams of VR gaming.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Just got our Vive at work today.

My GOD it's A M A Z I N G. Lightyears from the DK2 (which I've used and developed for extensively).
Most importantly; I'm very sensitive to Oculus, I get motion sickness very quickly. But after 45 mins of Viving today I feel nothing at all. Well except the feeling of being amazed :smile:

Man I keep going back to how much this floored me. I am honestly astonished. I consider myself a vr veteran, my expectations since dk1 have been grounded. The vive honestly floored me like the first time I tried vr all over again. It joins the moments like the first time I saw daytona usa, played mario 64, or got my dreamcast.

Tremendously satisfied with my purchase atm.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Time will tell. You already know where I am on this. I've said it a million times. I think it's gonna be a big gimmick that gets thrown in the bushes with the quickness, but, i would be happy if it succeeded. Ever since the matrix I've had dreams of VR gaming.
It's cool to be skeptical and not a fan. Everybody got their own opinion. I'm just saying it's kind of silly to use one guy's opinion on something just to go "YUP CONFIRMED GARBAGE!."

It's like someone who was on the fence asking me what i think about MGSV and went "YUP JUST LIKE I THOUGHT!". That'd be confirmation bias as had they asked you they'd get an entirely different answer.