Reppin
A Villa Straylight.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

:laff:

They’re losing their minds over there. Might get the hogwarts/cyberpunk treatment

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Previews up, mostly positive

But Stellar Blade puts a much bigger emphasis on defensive skills than I was expecting. Reading the timing of enemy attacks for well-timed parries and dodges is almost as important as it was in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Parrying multiple attacks to disrupt your enemy's balance allows you to perform a special attack called Retribution. With so many recent games inspired by Sekiro's gameplay structure, this alone doesn't come off as anything particularly original anymore, but Stellar Blade takes things one step further.

Push Square
We're impressed overall, though. Stellar Blade is not quite the game we were expecting – it's more difficult and deliberate than we'd anticipated based on the key art. But it's clear there's a dense combat system at play here, and it's backed up by a beautifully rendered world and some authentically anime cutscene direction. Most importantly, this feels like the type of game fans have been demanding from PlayStation for a while: original, single player-centric, and gameplay focused. Next month can't come quick enough.

Glitched
Stellar Blade's demo is only a taste of things to come, but we're very impressed so far. The combat is the biggest surprise, featuring less combo-heavy action and more strategy involved in how you approach certain enemies. Fans of Bayonetta or Devil May Cry will get their fill of stylish action, though it might also speak to players looking for something a bit deeper than that. Stellar Blade has our full attention and we can't wait to unravel the full game next month.

Digital Trends
Surprisingly Soulslike

Stellar Blade doesn't hold players' hands, but it will reward patience. Eve can block, dodge, and parry attacks, but the window to perform the latter two options is much smaller than in a game like Rise of the Ronin. In a sense, the combat feels more like something you'd experience in a Soulslike game rather than a straight action game. In fact, Stellar Blade has its own version of bonfires. These are checkpoints that will resurrect all of the enemies you've defeated when activated, just like in a Souls game.
I can further feel that genre influence in Eve's initial lack of intricate combos. Parrying attacks build up your Beta meter, which, when full, allows Eve to execute a variety of powerful Beta attacks. These attacks include one where Eve charges up a large energy blade and launches it forward, and another one where she triggers a quick triple thrust move. They deal a hefty amount of damage, and both the visual and haptic feedback made them feel satisfying to pull off. The end of the demo had me facing off against a Pyramid Head-looking Naybita monster with lightning powers. While I was able to defeat it, it took every ounce of skill and all of my healing potions.
Combat seems like it'll get much deeper in the full game. Stellar Blade features a skill tree where Eve can unlock new skills and abilities. These include traversal mechanics such as double jump and nullifying fall damage. There are also combat skills, such as the abilities to increase the window for parrying and to be able to dodge twice. I'm eager to see how that widens the combat beyond its straightforward opening hours.
In Stellar Blade, Adam leads Eve to the last surviving city on Earth, Xion. There, Eve builds relationships and helps to rebuild the city. However, the demo doesn't go there and there's not much indication as to where the story is going so far. Even so, I'm excited to see how Stellar Blade unfolds. I'm hoping it nails the story and characters, as excellent worldbuilding is what makes its contemporaries like Bayonetta and Nier: Automata so special.

Gamesradar
I have a tentatively good feeling about Stellar Blade. After spending a few hours with its upcoming PS5 demo, I'm reasonably sure that I'll enjoy this action RPG when it launches April 26. I'm also pretty sure it's not going to be an amazing game. Instead, I expect a solid-to-above-average game that appeals to me specifically. There's room for the full game to either drop the ball or totally wow me, but the demo indicates a clunky action RPG that's still more than enough fun to convince me to pummel the same boss for several hours just to feel out the combat system. I played the demo and now I want to play more, which is a positive sign.

Last edited:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
gimme dem yams

db5e704b86a8aed7ff47211afa64079277cb8799_00.gif

xiceman191

Superstar
Daps
Only a matter of time until a tranny resetera mod bans someone for saying they like this game :mjlol:
The game ain't even out and folks catching bans about this game. That demo thread they had was a mess and it was peaceful until puritans came in fukkin shyt up.:russ: