Police Academy at an HBCU. What's Your Take?-Approved, starts in 2021

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
standard.png

Lincoln U Granted Preliminary Approval to Establish First HBCU Law Enforcement Training Academy

October 6, 2020

Lincoln University has been granted preliminary approval to establish the U.S.’s first law enforcement basic training academy at a historically Black college or university (HBCU), with a unanimous vote from the Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Commission, KRCG reported.

The decision came after a Monday meeting during which the commission discussed the results of a survey on law enforcement training in Missouri.

“Minority recruitment is probably the most difficult thing right now,” POST Commissioner and Springfield Police Department Chief Paul Williams said. “While Springfield had previously had African American officers in the past, there were none when I took the chief’s position. It took eight years to build up to five black officers.”

Recruits will be enrolled full-time in the academy during their last semester of school. The program will be 18 credits, recruits will live on-campus and tuition is part of the program.

“Those kids are mentored by us the whole time. They’ve chosen and they’re recruited by us to go to our school,” Steenbergen said. “I tried to find every police academy in the state and get a picture of their graduating class. I come up with 250 plus or minus graduates … 14 were African Americans, so that’s less than one percent of graduates in our state is African American.”

Out of 107 registered HBCUs, none have a police academy program, Steenbergen said.

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Necessary if police culture can be changed.

This is the exact type of programs we need as a people

I'm here for police jobs being allocated to ADOS(as well as other public jobs too), so I'm not opposed to this.

I'm for it

We need to replace these white supremacists with blacks who are trained around other blacks

Ideally White police should have very minimal interaction with blacks

All of this

Blankthawtz

90-9-1 Principle
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Land of fukkery
I went to the REAL Lincoln University (PA)....don't know about that police academy shyt but they need to make it blatantly clear which institution is supporting it....:ufdup:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
IMG_2451-scaled-e1608059805776.jpeg

Lincoln University becomes first HBCU in country to host police academy
December 15, 2020

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. — With Gov. Mike Parson’s signature, Lincoln University will officially become the first historically Black college and university (HBCU) to house its own police academy next year.

“At a time when law enforcement agencies are working to attract more diverse officers and create agencies that look more like their communities, Lincoln University presented an ambitious plan for a law enforcement training center that could have far-reaching impacts on recruiting more minorities to policing,” Parson said before signing the university’s basic training center license Tuesday. “We appreciate all the work the Lincoln University team has put into this unique effort.”

Parson said he hoped other HBCUs in Missouri and across the country would follow suit. There are more than 660 police training academies across the U.S., with about half hosted by colleges, according to Department of Safety (DPS) Director Sandy Karsten.

“Lincoln University is ahead of the class,” President Jerald Jones Woolfolk told The Missouri Times. “We are so excited to be the first HBCU to host a police academy in the country. I’m proud of Lincoln University Police Chief Gary Hill and his team for making this happen — they stayed the course, and we couldn’t be more proud of their work.”

Lincoln University Police Chief Gary Hill speaks at Tuesday’s event. Hill will serve as the academy’s director. (THE MISSOURI TIMES/CAMERON GERBER)
Hill, a Lincoln alumnus who has worked at the university since 2011, said he was proud of the work that had been done to get the project across the finish line — and the academy’s work is just getting started.

“When I went through the academy, I was one of two African-Americans, and for us to have an academy here focused on increasing the diversity in law enforcement so people can feel included is incredible,” Hill said in an interview. “Now the real work begins. We have to ensure that when we have people enrolled in the academy that we’re giving them all the tools that they need to succeed today and in the future.”

Hill will lead the academy as its director when it begins operating next year. The staff will be made up of Lincoln professors and police officers teaching part-time. The 16-credit-hour program would allow students to devote their final semester at Lincoln to full-time police training.

Hill previously said the academy hoped to train between eight to 10 recruits over its first year of operation. Fourteen hopefuls, including both Lincoln students and working adults, have applied for the academy so far and are currently going through background checks.

Missouri’s Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Commission recommended the university’s academy be granted a license earlier this month. Hill, who was appointed to the commission by Parson earlier this year, said the recommendation came after on-site inspections were conducted by Karsten and others at DPS.

The commission granted its preliminary approval to prepare the academy in October. Commissioners praised the idea, noting that increasing minority recruitment would benefit both students and police forces and expressing hope that other HBCUs across the country would follow suit