Poitier said I will slap fire out this white guy, and you CANNOT edit it out

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Poitier explained, "I did not go into the film business to be symbolized as someone else's vision of me. If the screen does not make room for me in the structure of the screenplay, I step back. I couldn't do it, I just couldn't do it." Revealing one way in which he exercised his rights as a lead actor, Poitier explained a script change he demanded in "In the Heat of the Night:" When his character is slapped by a white character, Poitier's character would slap him back.

He also required that a written agreement be made and signed by the studio that no version of the film could edit his slap out. He felt that if there were a version where he just had to stand there and take this other character's abuse" it would be an insult.

*Hollywood studios used to make special prints of films for Southern markets. Where they would edit out Black performers entirely or edit out parts/scenes.

Last edited:

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
*Hollywood studios used to make special prints of films for Southern markets. Where they would edit out Black performers entirely or edit out parts/scenes.

They still make them. I dont think they distribute regionally in the US but Internationally the same movies be different. People know this now because of Marvel and China, China editing endings and shyt. But international releases of 90's movies are different too.

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high

Poitier explained, "I did not go into the film business to be symbolized as someone else's vision of me. If the screen does not make room for me in the structure of the screenplay, I step back. I couldn't do it, I just couldn't do it." Revealing one way in which he exercised his rights as a lead actor, Poitier explained a script change he demanded in "In the Heat of the Night:" When his character is slapped by a white character, Poitier's character would slap him back.

He also required that a written agreement be made and signed by the studio that no version of the film could edit his slap out. He felt that if there were a version where he just had to stand there and take this other character's abuse" it would be an insult.

:ehh:

the image of Black men matter. We need more Poitiers and less Durks

I AM WE ARE

Banned
Daps
Reppin
The N.O
They still make them. I dont think they distribute regionally in the US but Internationally the same movies be different. People know this now because of Marvel and China, China editing endings and shyt. But international releases of 90's movies are different too.
I found this out when I was younger. I'd watch a movie on TV and it'll be completely different than what we had on DVD/VHS :flabbynsick:
My pops told me they change it depending on the audience

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Sidney Poitier was the prototype of black excellence:

• Had left and right blassics
  • Broke down the barriers for black actors to prosper
  • Slap fire and unload clips on cacs
  • PAWG to the death of him