Phil Spencer Comes Out Against "Cancel" Culture

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Can't say I agree with this bullshyt in the slightest but I know lots of coli heads are sick of "cancel culture" for...reasons. :mjpls:

"Our creators who bravely and intentionally release their visions to the world, particularly in the current culture of criticism and cancellation. Our players who bravely and intentionally carve out time for our games to invite, rest and rejuvenate their lives. "

I'm sure the timing of this comment and High On Life being a Gamepass success and Justin Roiland being "cancelled" for paedo scum is purely coincidental. :comeon:

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
I feel like I'm getting a completely different understanding of what he's saying.

To me it sounds like he's referring to the recent trend of calling games "woke" for having minority and female characters in games. That's the cancel culture he's talking about, there's no trend of canceling games starring generic white dudes.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I don't think that a mob holding people in perpetuity to the worst things they've ever done is constructive. I also doubt that mob would stand up to scrutiny if you pulled a random member from it, found the worst thing they ever did, and held them to it forever.

It's easy to sit back and pass judgment on others when you don't have to be judged yourself.

People make mistakes. I'm not saying freedom of consequences but at the same time if a person changes its more nuanced that burn them at the stake to appease a mob.

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
I don't think that a mob holding people in perpetuity to the worst things they've ever done is constructive. I also doubt that mob would stand up to scrutiny if you pulled a random member from it, found the worst thing they ever did, and held them to it forever.

It's easy to sit back and pass judgment on others when you don't have to be judged yourself.

People make mistakes. I'm not saying freedom of consequences but at the same time if a person changes its more nuanced that burn them at the stake to appease a mob.
That’s fine but folks on the right throw around “cancel culture” because they want to avoid any consequences of being racist, bigoted, misogynistic etc… Same thing they do with “political correctness” and did with “social justice warriors”.

The same party that constantly touts “personal responsibility and accountability” conveniently lacks it when it comes to calling out folks for their racism.

And anyway, what the fukk is Phil even talking about? The only games/art that folks talk about cancelling are ones with minority characters, developed by women, etc…

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
On brand as the CEO of the MAGA Box.

Cancel culture ain't real. It's called consequences for your actions. You say or do some fukked up shyt at work, you gonna lose your job. Social media just allows for greater accountability. And these "cancellations" never seem to stick for white people anyways. We seen how cacs were quick to forgive some of these fukked up people and give them second chances.

And that "anti woke" shyt is some fakkit MAGA shyt too. Cacs mad at games/media telling different stories that don't revolve around them or pertain to them, out of jealousy of not being included, but had nothing to say for years about how you couldn't get a corporate job unless you acted white enough. They don't see how these Chinese or Indian people adopting white names when they immigrate here as pandering to white people. They don't see how a game like Days Gone is blatantly and shamelessly pandering to middle white America. They only say this shyt is "woke" when the "pandering" is directed to everyone but white people. That's how you know woke is just a catch-all phrase for racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, etc. And then the audacity of these same cacs to cry over lack of freedom of speech despite wanting to erase anything that's "woke".

Any time I see someone with cancel culture and woke in their regular vocabulary, I look at them funny and keep the fukk away from their goofy ass.

Last edited:

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Read the quotes. Meh,

“Our creators, who bravely and intentionally release their visions to the world – particularly in the current culture of criticism and cancellation,” continued Spencer. “Our players, who bravely and intentionally carve out time for our games to invite, rest and rejuvenate their lives. And business leaders – we’re called upon to have the courage to protect and nurture this collective joy.”

Stressing the need for video games to bring joy at a time when “there is more despair in the world,” Spencer stated that the onus is on business leaders to ensure players receive this joy instead of experiencing more negativity.

“Today, as creators, as leaders, as world builders, our greatest responsibility is to inspire and invite joy,” Spencer said. “Each one of the hundreds of titles that players have at their fingertips today and tomorrow is a calling card for joy.

Halo, God of War, Vampire Survivors, Peppa Pig – big games, small games, mobile games indie games – each one is designed to deliver an infusion of joy in the midst of our lives, to give us so much joy people want to talk about it, to share it.

“We, all of us here today, all of our teams around the globe, we’re all part of creating this echo effect of joy.

“Our creators who bravely and intentionally release their visions to the world, particularly in the current culture of criticism and cancellation. Our players who bravely and intentionally carve out time for our games to invite, rest and rejuvenate their lives.

“And business leaders – we’re called upon to have the courage to protect and nurture this collective joy. We’re called on to incubate these experiences, create them and grow them.
“To seek and surround ourselves with a multitude of perspectives. To honour our differences across experiences and geographies, and to practice empathy when intentionally listening to others.

“We turn away from dividing players and creators, and instead towards each other, as we advance and amplify joy together. This is the echo effect of gaming joy.”

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY