PBS Frontline: League Of Denial - The NFL's Concussion Crisis

Walt

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Powerful and powerfully bizarre. The Webster story... :wow: The educated, accomplished Nigerian doctor defamed as practicing voodoo... the brain research being partially spearheaded by a former Harvard football player turned WWF wrestler... Goodell repeating the mantra "protect the integrity of the NFL" while undermining its integrity at every turn on some prototypical Orwellian shyt... The moment the documentary made note of how much an ad sold for during the super bowl, and how much each game was worth to the league... Goodell's refusal to give a straight answer to Congress... A lot of powerful shyt here.

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Powerful and powerfully bizarre. The Webster story... :wow: The educated, accomplished Nigerian doctor defamed as practicing voodoo... the brain research being partially spearheaded by a former Harvard football player turned WWF wrestler... Goodell repeating the mantra "protect the integrity of the NFL" while undermining its integrity at every turn on some prototypical Orwellian shyt... The moment the documentary made note of how much an ad sold for during the super bowl, and how much each game was worth to the league... Goodell's refusal to give a straight answer to Congress... A lot of powerful shyt here.
this aspect hit real hard when Omalu was called out in the middle of the autospy/brain removal process for Seau

just :wow:

NFL should be ashamed man

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reading up on this more

Im suprised they didnt make note that Omalu & Nowinski actually worked together for a period of time but split up due to some differences.

K-Deini

GOAT
Supporter
Daps
everytime i see a new report or suicide, im thankful my father wouldnt allow me to play after my 3rd concussion in a year. though at the time i held it against him for a few months. so sad.

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
this shyt is crazy brehs. The cold part is that there is nothin we can really do to stop concussions. football is obviously a violent sport and head trauma is damn near inevitable

concise

Veteran
Daps
Wasn't it a Tampa game where he got rocked? Think that's the one that ended his career. How the hell is Meril Hoge still alive ? :damn:

I remember the Tampa incident. That was the year that started the Bucs actually being good. Princess Diana had just died and these guys just knocked 2 SF weapons out of the game. But the crazy thing is that I was just looking that up and found an article which contained that phrase @mastermind was talking about; one I'd completely forgotten because no one uses it anymore. "Mild concussion."

http://articles.latimes.com/1997/sep/01/sports/sp-27980

They showed the highlights over and over that week. "How could the Bucs possibly beat the Niners?" And this hit featured prominently in those packages.

Mild concussion.
The NFL ran their articles in the neurosurgery papers talking about "Mild Traumatic Brain Incident", MTBI.
The league and their doctors were basically feeding us phrases to make this stuff seem less serious than it was. They weredetermined to wage that war on as many fronts as possible. Kids, adults, scientists. Didn't matter.

It's like my man Omalu was asked several times, "Do you understand the implications of what you are doing?"

Last edited:

Walt

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
But the crazy thing is that I was just looking that up and found an article which contained that phrase @mastermind was talking about; one I'd completely forgotten because no one uses it anymore. "Mild concussion."

http://articles.latimes.com/1997/sep/01/sports/sp-27980

They showed the highlights over and over that week. "How could the Bucs possibly beat the Niners?" And this hit featured prominently in those packages.

Mild concussion.
The NFL ran their articles in the neurosurgery papers talking about "Mild Traumatic Brain Incident", MTBI.
The league and their doctors were basically feeding us phrases to make this stuff seem less serious than it was. They weredetermined to wage that war on as many fronts as possible. Kids, adults, scientists. Didn't matter.

It's like my man Omalu was asked several times, "Do you understand the implications of what you are doing?"

As much of a race-baiting curmudgeon as Phil Mushnick evolved into, he was the first major columnist I remember perpetually mocking the term "mild concussion." Dude would contact reputable doctors and ask them whether such a thing could possibly exist, and they always said no. It didn't matter though, because when you have money and media on your side, you get to control the public narrative. I remember growing up Al Toon and Wayne Chrebet were always sidelined with concussions, and people treated it like a case of bad luck. I shudder to think of how their day-to-day goes now.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
I remember growing up Al Toon and Wayne Chrebet were always sidelined with concussions, and people treated it like a case of bad luck. I shudder to think of how their day-to-day goes now.

I know Chrebet has gone on record saying that his long/short term memory has gone to shyt. What's worse is that a lot of these players(before the concussion tests were put in obviously) were basically coerced into saying they were OK because they were in fear of losing their positions and jobs.

After watching this documentary, I can't in good conscience let my son play football. He's only 4, he doesn't really have an interest in organized sports, but this stuff really is an eye opener, especially the part about the non-concussive hits leading to CTE and all the high school aged kids that showed up with it.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Yep. They will eventually ban the game one day. Hopefully not in my lifetime.

I don't think the NFL will ever get banned, entirely too many people make way too much money on it for that to happen.

Unless something REALLY bad happened(like someone prominent taking a huge hit and dying on the field) I really can't see it. What I do think will happen is that we will see football fall off a great deal to a level of boxing and a resurgence in baseball. Soccer might have a boom period in the next 20-30 years too.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I hope Francesa continues to discuss this. He's an arrogant fukk but when it comes to killing other media outlets.. he's the goat and has access to millions of ears.

Oh he will plus he hates the nfl now because he cant use the "nfl now" name anymore,its why hes been bashing the league alot lately

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
I used to play football as a high school and I was damn good at it. Throw anything my way, I'd catch. However, I walked off the field one day to the showers after I went across the middle and got absolutely drilled. I didn't even know it was coming so it was made worse. Y'all remember how dude blew up Reggie Bush a few years ago in the playoffs. I hit the ground in a fukked way and feeling a certain grogginess that I had never felt before or since. It was the first and only time where I thought my thoughts were not connected to the rest of my body and everything just felt off. I've not had that issue since but it scared the living fukking hell out of me.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Watching that made me glad i never played the damn sport on an organized level.

Money truly is the root of evil brehs, motherfukkers are out here printing that shyt but their still looking to get to a trillion and are saying fukk saving human life its not gonna stand in our way of making more :wow:

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
I don't think the NFL will ever get banned, entirely too many people make way too much money on it for that to happen.

Unless something REALLY bad happened(like someone prominent taking a huge hit and dying on the field) I really can't see it. What I do think will happen is that we will see football fall off a great deal to a level of boxing and a resurgence in baseball. Soccer might have a boom period in the next 20-30 years too.
Anything is possible..someone dying on The field god forbid, especially a great player would be the leagues worst nightmare. Its def too popular now, soccer idk, no one in america still gives a shyt about that sport on a wide scale.