Online dating cause a rise in U.S. income inequality

Big Simpin Losing Cheese

Bought my girl a Chanel bag, and she left me still
Daps

businessTechnology

Online dating caused a rise in U.S. income inequality, research paper shows​

Americans have been increasingly marrying someone like themselves, especially in areas such as education levels.​

By Bloomberg Wire

7:00 AM on Sep 17, 2024 CDT — Updated at 5:13 PM on Sep 17, 2024 CDT

Online dating may be partially to blame for an increase in income inequality in the U.S. in recent decades, according to a research paper.

Since the emergence of dating apps that allow people to look for a partner based on criteria including education, Americans have increasingly been marrying someone more like themselves. That accounts for about half of the rise in income inequality among households between 1980 and 2020, researchers from the Federal Reserve Banks of Dallas and St. Louis and Haverford College found.
Using data from the Census Bureau’s American Community Survey from 2008 to 2021, when online dating quickly became prevalent, the economists found that women became slightly more selective when choosing partners based on age, while men became slightly more selective based on education.
But when the researchers compared that with data on married couples from 1960 and 1980, they found that people in the recent period increasingly went for partners with the same wage and education levels. And while many people married someone of the same ethnicity, people became less and less selective on race over time.
Who people marry has a major impact on household income. The research shows that the two main contributors to inequality through the selection of a future spouse are education and skills. They are followed, to a much lesser extent, by income and age, while race plays a relatively inconsequential role, co-author Paulina Restrepo-Echavarría, an economic policy advisor at the St. Louis Fed, said in a blog post describing the paper.

Overall, the predominance of online apps to find a future partner has led to a 3-percentage-point increase in the Gini coefficient — a widely used measure of income inequality, the research shows.

“We find that the increase in income inequality over the past half a century is explained to a large extent by sorting on vertical characteristics, such as income and skill, and their interaction with education,” the economists wrote in their paper.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tbh, I'm on this wave now
I initially tried to look past certain stuff because I believe in people's ability to change.
I feel my whole life encapsulates this.

So with online dating, you can SEE what matters to a person.
There is no reason for me as a person using online dating to find what *I* want to
date someone who is:

- Fat :scusthov:
- Has children :scusthov:
- Isn't college educated (I'll make exceptions but generally I want a professional)
**The 22 year old I deal with is the exception(She's very sexy tbh. 5'4", HWP, BODY!!). The 29 year old (The attorney) is what I seek generally.
- Has no ambitions in life. IT IS NOT ENOUGH TO JUST BE single, childless and have a degree. I need her to
WANT MORE, because *I* DO.

A lot of how I approach dating has changed, 22 year old me was way more forgiving and understanding
and willing to work with women who were at the same stage of life as me. However now that I'm in
my early 30s, I'm less understanding.
IF you're 31/32/33/34/35 year old fukk up, all you're going to do is fukk me up.

And I'm very, very cool off of that. :laff:

**Also my personal experience tracks btw.
- My occupation - Women find it attractive. (Engineer, I've heard some flavor of "you're smart!!" several times over now).
- My job - Women find it attractive. (Locally known to be *Good*, even when I wasn't an Engineer)
- Education - Bachelor's degree gets me love, I'm also in Graduate school. They like that!
I get a lot of swipes from "Second chancers" (Single moms who realize
how the game goes!) and women in their 30s/40s who "get it" now. I aim younger than me tho.
If you're over 30, I will likely ignore you.
- Race - I get Black women mostly. Latinas second most. Rarely get attention from White or Asian women.
Almost of all of them have been educated or seeking an education and I personally select for that through
filtering.

I'm also good looking, I get matches across all of the apps and I'm able to set up dates (even now) at a near
bi-weekly to weekly pace.

- Get educated.
- Get in shape (I train six days a week).
- Get a good career.
- GO HARD!!

Last edited:

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
what exactly do you want more of, and for what reason(s)?
Wealth.
100%.

Why?
I was poor. I saw how ugly the world is standing in EBT lines, having people look down their nose at you, seeing how many
people fight to keep current systems in place, how people EXPLOIT YOU when you LACK.

I'm grateful for that period in my life, it gave me a fight that most don't have, even now at a world class company the people
who come from a certain background are just...soft. They're way to comfortable for my liking and my mentality is fukk THAT.

I do not believe things are going to change, so I want to earn as much as humanly possible and find a partner on the same page.
I also like the idea of "Black Excellence" and I try to (but often fail at) living it.

Nokids

Promise if I have a seed imma guide him right
Daps
Reppin
Makes so much sense like @Insensitive was explaining. A lot of them girls on there either dumb as rocks or educated and crazy.

If imma find a shorty I said I’ll just stick to my neighborhood as I know they’ll most likely make the same income, education, etc.

With dating apps if the hood is 5-10 miles away you wouldn’t know until she tells you.

shyt be crazy they ask what do you do(nice career) then they’ll say oh ok I work at a call center like wtf I’m good in you