Old heads, how dominant was the west coast in the early/mid 90's?

JaytheOne

Pro
Daps
I always hear about how dominant west coast rappers were in that time, was the whole country really fukking with them like that?

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Good question. Listening to DJ sets from the time it doesn’t seem like death row artists got huge play oversees during those times.

The sun, California and the low rider’s definitely breathed new life into hip hop culture.

Barney Rubble

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It was mostly Death Row, Cube and Cypress Hill that was really selling. Quik, Eiht, Warren G (basically death row by affiliation) and Bay area (e40, Spice 1 etc.) were popular but not dominant. East Coast was still killing it with Wu, Nas, Mobb, Onyx, Naughty By Nature etc. It didn't really feel like domination compared to what the south was doing when Atlanta took over.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
If they were a cliche gangsta rap group.
After cube souled't out.
That shyt got no play in actual hilhop culture with bboys. That Westcoast gangsta rap shyt is ruthless records runs the world and for nikkaz who were Infstuated with house music.

Bboys in hiphop who were black.
gave that shyt nO light whatsoever.

Art Barr

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yes, it was dominant. Not only did you have Chronic, Doggystyle, and Warren's Regulate, but it was artists that weren't from the West that had West Coast influenced/inspired sounds i.e. Southernplayalistic and Funkdafied. Even Biggie's "Big Poppa" was influenced.

That's not even mentioning Pac, Too Short and E-40. Hammer was a West Coast artist too.

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I always hear about how dominant west coast rappers were in that time, was the whole country really fukking with them like that?
Very, you gotta remember at the same east coast was still doing Aladin big pants dictionary peace and unity rapping. West came through with rapping about Broads, partying chilling and the gangsta shyt this was not reflected in the music but in the music videos

Digital Omen

All Star
Daps
West Coast was so dominant that by 94 NY rappers were "creeping through the hood up to no good" and "born to roll" in a lowrider:

Here you got Da Brat (Chicago) and Biggie (Brooklyn) produced by JD (ATL) sounding like they're from Crenshaw:

The music, the movies, the gear. the slang, gangbanging (Cube said it best: "dying for a street that they never heard of")...West Coast exploded with NWA and then Death Row had a stranglehold on the culture, until Biggie and Wu-Tang blew up.

bigde09

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All the west coast artist were going platinum plus. Cube, Snoop, Dre, Coolio, Pac etc

Look at their sales and then look at the east. They weren’t in the same league. It was written was the first east coast rap album to actually debut at 1 in billboard and that was 96. At that point Pac already had 2 number 1 albums by himself. Snoop sold over 800,000 first week with Doggystyle. It wasn’t close at all

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
It was mostly Death Row, Cube and Cypress Hill that was really selling. Quik, Eiht, Warren G (basically death row by affiliation) and Bay area (e40, Spice 1 etc.) were popular but not dominant. East Coast was still killing it with Wu, Nas, Mobb, Onyx, Naughty By Nature etc. It didn't really feel like domination compared to what the south was doing when Atlanta took over.
Lol

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
I just watched the Drink Champs with Daz and Kurupt and was trippin when they had every nikka in there reciting Kurupt and Warren G whole fukking verses with no beat or nothing. I expected NORE and EFN to know it but EVERYBODY knew that shyt.
If you were relevant, you had to be westcoast connected at the time. Kriss Kross...every nygga from Houston and the south sounded like some fake westcoast nyggas. Hilarious. Master P blew up being on some fake Thug Life shyt..lol@Holler If Ya Hear Me