Official Triangle, NC/Raleigh-Durham thread...

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
1. I do have kids, my two oldest daughters live here. One thing I forgot to mention is that Wake public schools (WCPSS) is one of the best large school districts in America. On the whole it's outstanding, and I forgot to mention this is an advantage it has over Meck schools in Charlotte...

My daughters live on the Southside and go to one of the better elementary schools on that side, Creech Elementary. It's 48% black, 33% Hispanic, and the white kids (12%) are the lowest performing demo at the school, according to greatschools: Explore Creech Road Elementary in Garner, NC

It's the 20th-ranked elementary school of 130 elementary schools in the county: Elementary Schools in Wake County School District, 1-25 - Cary, NC | GreatSchools

Now, I don't know much about private schools but I can tell you that you aren't gonna find any here that are plurality black. I'm also not familiar with the charter schools here, but in general I believe there are enough good schools in the county that you could find a strong public school here...

I also don't know much about the year round schools either, other than only about 12% of the schools in the county are on a year-round calendar, and that the year round schools get like 2 week breaks every quarter, in addition to the normal holiday breaks...

Among public districts with 100,000+ enrollment, Wake is one of just 4 districts with an A-grade----->and one of just two of them that aren't in a suburban county, the other being the Cypress-Fairbanks ISD in Houston...

Your wife wants Philly, depending on how you all prioritize interests, Philly public schools are not even close to as high performing as Raleigh on balance...

There are a number of schools here, plenty, that would fit your daughter's interests in band, sports, dance, or a combination of the three!

2. So, you aren't going to find many walkable areas here, this is the South after all. Avenues are multi-lanes both ways and wide. However, there are areas that aren't optimally walkable, but are more walkable than the city on average...

You want to live near shopping and dining, the most semi-walkable areas are in North Raleigh which has the most entertainment options. I live in North Hills, one of the largest neighborhoods in the city, which is rife with shopping and dining. It is somewhat walkable, and borders the major mall in the city (Crabtree, outside and to the west if the neighborhood), while also bordering other semi-walkable areas. Again it's not truly walkable anywhere down here but its close enough here...

North Hills as a hood is upscale and mostly upper middle class, and is about 10% black, 16% Hispanic, 69% white. But black people are clustered in the peripherals of the neighborhood, near the northwestern, western, and east/northeast fringes of North Hills...

North Hills directly borders blacker hoods to the east, like Brentwood (24% black) and North Shore (50%), and those neighborhoods border Mini-City (45% black) and Triangle Town (33%). These are all pretty diverse and somewhat walkable areas...

The thing to know about Raleigh, is it's segregation gradient follows an east/west pattern. Basically the eastern sides of the city are where most black people live---->east of Six Forks in North Raleigh, east of Saunders in South Raleigh. So if you want to live around black people, your strongest bet is staying to the east...

The city areas basically break down like this (ordered from blackest to least black):

EAST RALEIGH
46% black (32% white, 17% Hispanic, 3% Asian)

SOUTH RALEIGH
40% black (35% white, 16% Hispanic, 6% Asian)

DOWNTOWN RALEIGH
24% black (61% white, 8% Hispanic, 3% Asian)

NORTH RALEIGH
19% black (61% white, 12% Hispanic, 4% Asian)

WEST RALEIGH
8% black (80% white, 3% Asian, 3% Hispanic)

But broken down slightly further, illustrates the racial pattern I mentioned because the North and South sides of the city are big and split into NE/NW, SE/SW:

1. Southeast Raleigh
61% black (18% Hispanic, 16% white, 2% Asian)
2. East Raleigh
3. Northeast Raleigh
28% black (49% white, 14% Hispanic, 5% Asian)
4. Downtown Raleigh
5. Southwest Raleigh
21% black (56% white, 10% Asian, 10% Hispanic)
6. Northwest Raleigh
13% black (73% white, 7% Hispanic, 4% Asian)
7. West Raleigh
What are some benefits you would have living in Durham over Raleigh? Also what about the up and coming suburbs? (Cary, Morrisville, Apex, etc)

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
What are some benefits you would have living in Durham over Raleigh? Also what about the up and coming suburbs? (Cary, Morrisville, Apex, etc)
Well, if you're someone who prefers the blacker a place is, Durham is blacker. It's also a more artistically-inclined city and I imagine dance may be bigger there. The visual and performance arts are bigger in Durm in general. Durm is also more diverse...

Other than that, not much benefit "for me", I'm not a Durham fan. Theres enough black people here, the neighborhoods are better, and while everything in NC is suburban Rgh is definitely more urban. Durm whites have more of an old south, good ol' boy style to em, blacks in Durm are more country. And there's simply more to do in Raleigh, more motion, more activity. Raleigh is much safer...

Durham isnt bad, its just not my style of city...

The higher ed option is HUGE here, your kids would definitely have their pick of the litter coming from NC schools. Lower in-state tuition. Raleigh has two HBCUs, Durm has one, and aside from Duke i dont know how many universities are in Durm. Raleigh has a bunch of universities and technical schools...
Another reason I want to move there is the choices of colleges. My kids would be set whether they wanna go to a HBCU or go to a school like Duke or NC STATE.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Man I hope yall out in the city today. The Hispanic joints in this city are out in full force in North Raleigh. And me and my daughters out thugging it on the Westside right now, I hope yall out today!

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Man I hope yall out in the city today. The Hispanic joints in this city are out in full force in North Raleigh. And me and my daughters out thugging it on the Westside right now, I hope yall out today!
I'm downtown and it's sweet out here right now too.

Got a little too drunk last night, so gonna have to cool out on that side of it for the rest of the weekend though lol.

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
What's popping with the Messicans? Had to leave Raleigh on Tuesday morning cuz I have to watch my sister's kids in Maryland for the week (Commited to this bullshyt way back in December)

I'm missing Ratchet strip club tonight in Kinston and my homies are the promoters:mjcry:

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
I'm downtown and it's sweet out here right now too.

Got a little too drunk last night, so gonna have to cool out on that side of it for the rest of the weekend though lol.
We headed that way in a minute, the girls want Mellow Mushroom for dinner 🤣 man you should link if you still downtown, I ain't met nobody off here in the 5 years I've lived in The R...
What's popping with the Messicans? Had to leave Raleigh on Tuesday morning cuz I have to watch my sister's kids in Maryland for the week (Commited to this bullshyt way back in December)

I'm missing Ratchet strip club tonight in Kinston and my homies are the promoters:mjcry:
Bruh you know the weather bring them bad ones out! We went to the NCMA earlier, the amount of black folk doing the art thing today warmed my heart...

And it's just been women on top of women, the sisters certainly but I'm like damn where all these bad Latinas come from? Went to the Walmart in Brentwood and the Latina joints in that bytch like it's the stroll 🤣 🤣...

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Ay bro, these mf's couldn't wait for the weather to break. I'm so sick of being single, it's women falling out the trees today. And they had the St Paddy parade today, definitely if I didn't have the girls I'd have went thru...

@MJ Truth were you at the St Paddy's joint?

These women everywhere today, got damn 🤣 🤣

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Now, I don't know much about private schools but I can tell you that you aren't gonna find any here that are plurality black.

Yeah I actually had some info on that from the private school thread I did last year. Wake County private schools are super White with only Ravenscroft, Neuse Christian, and Thale Academy hitting 10% Black. More diverse in Durham with Creeset Christian at almost 40% Black.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Ay bro, these mf's couldn't wait for the weather to break. I'm so sick of being single, it's women falling out the trees today. And they had the St Paddy parade today, definitely if I didn't have the girls I'd have went thru...

@MJ Truth were you at the St Paddy's joint?

These women everywhere today, got damn 🤣 🤣
I took an extra shift at work today and I already regret it. I know it’s lit out here. :dead:

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
This weekend in the city was too lit. Bad bytches galore falling out the sky, perfect weather, multitude of activities to get into...

If yall ain't been to Raleigh put it on your trip list, I do think it's rising as a destination to visit!

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We headed that way in a minute, the girls want Mellow Mushroom for dinner 🤣 man you should link if you still downtown, I ain't met nobody off here in the 5 years I've lived in The R...

Bruh you know the weather bring them bad ones out! We went to the NCMA earlier, the amount of black folk doing the art thing today warmed my heart...

And it's just been women on top of women, the sisters certainly but I'm like damn where all these bad Latinas come from? Went to the Walmart in Brentwood and the Latina joints in that bytch like it's the stroll 🤣 🤣...
:dead:
I was in the area on Friday, I was at the Walmart and that lil shopping center off Atlantic Ave. With all the ethnic stores.

shyt damn near felt like I was in Florida or texas 😂.

Crazy thing is that the vibe was totally different as recent as like 6 or 7 years ago.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
:dead:
I was in the area on Friday, I was at the Walmart and that lil shopping center off Atlantic Ave. With all the ethnic stores.

shyt damn near felt like I was in Florida or texas 😂.

Crazy thing is that the vibe was totally different as recent as like 6 or 7 years ago.
Yeah that's the same one I'm talking about, that's the Brentwood Walmart. That part of North Raleigh is extremely diverse, Indians, Hispanics, Africans, us, whites. This is one of the indicators of Raleigh's leap into a "big city", it's become more and more diverse, more and more international and cultured. It isn't like this in the entire city but it's definitely like this in spots...

Bruh them Hispanic joints be in that Walmart like it's the club 😆...

You live in Durham or Greensboro, right?

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah that's the same one I'm talking about, that's the Brentwood Walmart. That part of North Raleigh is extremely diverse, Indians, Hispanics, Africans, us, whites. This is one of the indicators of Raleigh's leap into a "big city", it's become more and more diverse, more and more international and cultured. It isn't like this in the entire city but it's definitely like this in spots...

Bruh them Hispanic joints be in that Walmart like it's the club 😆...

You live in Durham or Greensboro, right?
I live in the outskirts of wake county right now, which is still semi-country

But I've lived in both of those cities.