Official Triangle, NC/Raleigh-Durham thread...

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
Does anyone have any company connects? Anything in biotech pharma ,health tech? I really wanna move to the area but having trouble landing a job. RTI, Duke health, ppd are some companies I would love to work for. I've heard great things about red hat as well

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Rent just went up again. Looks like this my last year here. :unimpressed:
Mine only went up $21. Where do you live at? Because I live right near Crabtree, I can walk to the mall so considering the community I live in and the surrounding amenities, going up only $21/month is kind of a win...

And where are you gonna move to where rent isn't on the rise? 🤣 🤣 🤣

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Before that he used to hustle in Raleigh for a minute.
Whole bunch of NY rappers are said to have ties to Raleigh. Big, Hell Rell, Remy Ma, I'm forgetting a few. I'm not from here so I can't say for sure but there's a good number of NY rappers who are said to have ties to Raleigh...

Lil Mo used to live in Fayetteville growing up...

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
One thing I'll plug for Raleigh, is they do urban parks really well here. I went to Spring Forest park with the girls yesterday, had a blast. I have a rotation of about 9 parks I frequent, Raleigh does that really, really well!

King Harlem

Superstar
Daps
One thing I'll plug for Raleigh, is they do urban parks really well here. I went to Spring Forest park with the girls yesterday, had a blast. I have a rotation of about 9 parks I frequent, Raleigh does that really, really well!
What's up breh. Before I ask my question, you're solid poster. Appreciate your posts.
Quick Question: I'm considering the move to NC, but I was thinking Charlotte. How's Releigh and would recommend living there over Charlotte?

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
What's up breh. Before I ask my question, you're solid poster. Appreciate your posts.
Quick Question: I'm considering the move to NC, but I was thinking Charlotte. How's Releigh and would recommend living there over Charlotte?
I've really grown to love Raleigh. In May it'll be 5 years here, and it took awhile to grow on me, but it has...

I lived in Charlotte a little over a decade ago, for a year. It's one of my favorite cities in the country...

First rule of advice I'd give anyone, is don't come here expecting it to be comparable to where you're from. By your name I'm assuming you're coming from NY? Coming to either city and expecting the activities and aura of NY is setting yourself up to dislike the place and not enjoy your time here. You could still end up disliking your stay, but don't let it be because you come here comparing "here", to "there"...

We all move for a reason. We can't be looking in the rear view and lamenting about how much unlike where we come from it is, because, duh. This isn't there and it has its own positives and negatives...

I would say the city you prefer depends on what you're looking for. In general you get more of a big city vibe in Charlotte for sure, and if that's tantamount to you, go Charlotte. I'm more of a big city guy, and would've moved back to Charlotte but my kids are here...

I also learned I don't need the best and most of everything, I just need enough to feel comfortable and thrive. While Charlotte is definitely more of a big city than Raleigh, Raleigh isn't a small city. After Charlotte, its the second biggest city between DC and The A, so realistically, there's a 25-million person's radius that spans VA, NC, SC, and into GA, of which the two largest cities in this span are Charlotte and Raleigh...

If one needs a practical vision of what they feel like from a size frame of reference perspective, Raleigh is roughly in the same weight class as:

Salt Lake, Richmond, Memphis, Louisville, OKC, Milwaukee, and Providence. Raleigh is the largest media market of these cities because it's media market is combined with Durham and Fayetteville...

Charlotte is in the same weight class as: Sacramento, Austin, Pittsburgh, Portland, San Antonio, Orlando, St Louis, Baltimore, Denver...

To be honest, both cities have a lot in common in general culture, the landscape and layout and architecture of both cities. Both have a large white collar element, Charlotte slightly more big business but both feel kinda corporate, not heavy on the blue collar vibe (though certain parts of both cities are). Raleigh has more of an academic air to it. Charlotte has a more popping music scene, both do the visual arts fairly well...

Charlotte has more luxury dealers, from dining to retail to cars, but Raleigh is a more fashionable city, people dress better and get fly better in Raleigh. Both are really safe cities, a huge contrast from many major cities across the country are that the hot areas in both are pretty limited and contained. Charlotte is a little rougher and grimier in its hoods than Raleigh, this is true but like Raleigh it isn't a city where it's wild violent. This ain't Memphis...

Another similarity is the reach of black representation, wealth, and middle class in both cities. Both are some of the best cities for black people in the entire US, Top 10 cities for black people. We are represented in both across all platforms from city hall to police and fire services to black cultural festivities and events...

Both are sports cities, NCAA athletics is definitely a bigger deal in Raleigh, something I don't care much for, while Charlotte is more into the major leagues, but there's an element of all in both cities. Charlotte is a football first city, Raleigh us basketball first, and when I say this I mean from the prep level up to pro, those are the major interest of both cities. But the Panthers are the biggest attraction in both cities...

Ton of transplants in both from across the nation. Charlotte has more transplants from across the South, Raleigh has more from the Northeast, both have a lot of Midwest people (Ohioans really seem to love NC 😆), and both have some West Coast transplants, Charlotte I think a few more. But if course, you can find all of these in both cities...

Charlotte is a much more international city of the two, just more people from more places there, more languages spoken, more foreign brands represented in business. Raleigh is certainly growing in this aspect, and I live in a pretty blended section of North Raleigh but if you put a premium on diversity and international flair, Charlotte has more---->though it shouldn't be expected to look like Northeast or West Coast cities in this regard. It's just really international for the inner South and is more international than Raleigh...

So much mobility for us in both, Raleigh I think is a bit more exotic and innovative, there's just a hustler's culture here to a different degree. In comparison Charlotte is more big biz and workman-like, still about money but there's a different personality here...

I think both are elite when it comes to women. Charlotte just for the more diverse variety is at a higher tier, but trust me on this, you won't be disappointed by the quality of women in Raleigh. Charlotte is better but you can eat in both 🤣 🤣 any flavor you're interested in...

Raleigh is whiter but Charlotte has more of everything else...

Both dope cities, both are more family oriented than singles oriented. But honestly the biggest difference between the two, is Charlotte is a major city, Raleigh isn't that. Charlotte gets major city tours, has the major league sports (NBA, NFL, MLS), Raleigh does have NHL...

Charlotte has tge larger downtown and inner city core, more shopping, more restaurants, busier and bigger airport, light rail, it's just a bigger, more bustling version of Raleigh. While there are some noticeable contrasts, there are many ways that they are more alike than not!

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
I have a few Raleigh questions as well. My wife wants to move to Philly. I want Raleigh. I want to buy a house with a yard

1. You have kids in the area. How do you like the schools. Do you suggest private schools, charter, or do the public schools provide with you a great education, What schools would you suggest? i honestly would like a k-12 school. I have a 6th and 4th grader. And i dont understand ya'll lottery system. And the non traditional school years. Im sorry i need the whole summer off. Summer vacation reasons.
2. If i wanted a walkable area to live in? I like living near shopping and restaurants. A place where if my car is in the shop i dont have to Uber everywhere.
3. What are some of the up and coming suburbs? Would you suggest living in Cary, Mount Holly, Apex, and any other suburbs

Basically I want a walkable city or just neighborhood where I'm not the only black person. I want a school where academics are key, good sports programs and extra curriculars. My daughter is in band, she likes dance and is even trying out for school plays. She likes soccer, tennis and is just finding her way in sports.

Last edited:

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
I have a few Raleigh questions as well. My wife wants to move to Philly. I want Raleigh. I want to buy a house with a yard

1. You have kids in the area. How do you like the schools. Do you suggest private schools, charter, or do the public schools provide with you a great education, What schools would you suggest? i honestly would like a k-12 school. I have a 6th and 4th grader. And i dont understand ya'll lottery system. And the non traditional school years. Im sorry i need the whole summer off. Summer vacation reasons.
2. If i wanted a walkable area to live in? I like living near shopping and restaurants. A place where if my car is in the shop i dont have to Uber everywhere.
3. What are some of the up and coming suburbs? Would you suggest living in Cary, Mount Holly, Apex, and any other suburbs

Basically I want a walkable city or just neighborhood where I'm not the only black person. I want a school where academics are key, good sports programs and extra curriculars. My daughter is in band, she likes dance and is even trying out for school plays. She likes soccer, tennis and is just finding her way in sports.
1. I do have kids, my two oldest daughters live here. One thing I forgot to mention is that Wake public schools (WCPSS) is one of the best large school districts in America. On the whole it's outstanding, and I forgot to mention this is an advantage it has over Meck schools in Charlotte...

My daughters live on the Southside and go to one of the better elementary schools on that side, Creech Elementary. It's 48% black, 33% Hispanic, and the white kids (12%) are the lowest performing demo at the school, according to greatschools: Explore Creech Road Elementary in Garner, NC

It's the 20th-ranked elementary school of 130 elementary schools in the county: Elementary Schools in Wake County School District, 1-25 - Cary, NC | GreatSchools

Now, I don't know much about private schools but I can tell you that you aren't gonna find any here that are plurality black. I'm also not familiar with the charter schools here, but in general I believe there are enough good schools in the county that you could find a strong public school here...

I also don't know much about the year round schools either, other than only about 12% of the schools in the county are on a year-round calendar, and that the year round schools get like 2 week breaks every quarter, in addition to the normal holiday breaks...

Among public districts with 100,000+ enrollment, Wake is one of just 4 districts with an A-grade----->and one of just two of them that aren't in a suburban county, the other being the Cypress-Fairbanks ISD in Houston...

Your wife wants Philly, depending on how you all prioritize interests, Philly public schools are not even close to as high performing as Raleigh on balance...

There are a number of schools here, plenty, that would fit your daughter's interests in band, sports, dance, or a combination of the three!

2. So, you aren't going to find many walkable areas here, this is the South after all. Avenues are multi-lanes both ways and wide. However, there are areas that aren't optimally walkable, but are more walkable than the city on average...

You want to live near shopping and dining, the most semi-walkable areas are in North Raleigh which has the most entertainment options. I live in North Hills, one of the largest neighborhoods in the city, which is rife with shopping and dining. It is somewhat walkable, and borders the major mall in the city (Crabtree, outside and to the west if the neighborhood), while also bordering other semi-walkable areas. Again it's not truly walkable anywhere down here but its close enough here...

North Hills as a hood is upscale and mostly upper middle class, and is about 10% black, 16% Hispanic, 69% white. But black people are clustered in the peripherals of the neighborhood, near the northwestern, western, and east/northeast fringes of North Hills...

North Hills directly borders blacker hoods to the east, like Brentwood (24% black) and North Shore (50%), and those neighborhoods border Mini-City (45% black) and Triangle Town (33%). These are all pretty diverse and somewhat walkable areas...

The thing to know about Raleigh, is it's segregation gradient follows an east/west pattern. Basically the eastern sides of the city are where most black people live---->east of Six Forks in North Raleigh, east of Saunders in South Raleigh. So if you want to live around black people, your strongest bet is staying to the east...

The city areas basically break down like this (ordered from blackest to least black):

EAST RALEIGH
46% black (32% white, 17% Hispanic, 3% Asian)

SOUTH RALEIGH
40% black (35% white, 16% Hispanic, 6% Asian)

DOWNTOWN RALEIGH
24% black (61% white, 8% Hispanic, 3% Asian)

NORTH RALEIGH
19% black (61% white, 12% Hispanic, 4% Asian)

WEST RALEIGH
8% black (80% white, 3% Asian, 3% Hispanic)

But broken down slightly further, illustrates the racial pattern I mentioned because the North and South sides of the city are big and split into NE/NW, SE/SW:

1. Southeast Raleigh
61% black (18% Hispanic, 16% white, 2% Asian)
2. East Raleigh
3. Northeast Raleigh
28% black (49% white, 14% Hispanic, 5% Asian)
4. Downtown Raleigh
5. Southwest Raleigh
21% black (56% white, 10% Asian, 10% Hispanic)
6. Northwest Raleigh
13% black (73% white, 7% Hispanic, 4% Asian)
7. West Raleigh

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
@daboywonder2002

NERgh is the most conventially urban part of the city, and has the demographics that most closely mirror the city demos as a whole...

Conventially urban meaning more walkable areas than most of the city, and more amenities in closer reach than most of the city. About 113,000 people live in NE, 28% of whom are black, and it's a majority-minority region. All the neighborhoods I listed above are NER; my neighborhood of North Hills is kind of its own thing that straddles both NE and NW as Six Forks Rd is the boundary between the two...

3. I wouldn't suggest living in any suburb because I'm a city guy, and most of these suburbs here are super white, way whiter than the city, or super Asian (like Morrisville). The close in burbs like Garner and Knightdale would be about as far as I'd venture, as both still have large black populations, and Garner is essentially South Raleigh, Knightdale is essentially East Raleigh. So if yall are into suburb living I'd suggest those two only as all those other burbs are mad white and Asian...