Essential Official Film Room Random Thoughts Thread

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
i'm confused..this is the random movie thought thread..but you seem to be posting random movie scenes and mentioned posting random shyt.

is this just a way to get @MichaelStrathanGap to stop making a thread over every pointless tidbit he sees? :lupe:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
i'm confused..this is the random movie thought thread..but you seem to be posting random movie scenes and mentioned posting random shyt.

is this just a way to get @MichaelStrathanGap to stop making a thread over every pointless tidbit he sees? :lupe:
Post whatever u want. Like this pointless post I'm quoting essentially complaining about a free post for film thread.

Only in the film room. Critics, complain just to complain :heh:

1326219232_ip_man___yip_man_punches_opponent.gif

stop it

Here's another scene

this how I just did the film room.

Last edited:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
So Film Brehs (@FlyRy @kp404 @StraxStrax and whoever else), any thoughts on Cannes? At all?

http://deadline.com/2015/05/cannes-film-festival-winners-2015-palme-dor-live-1201432319/

Palme d’Or
Dheepan, dir: Jacques Audiard
Dheepan is a Sri Lankan Tamil warrior who flees to France and ends up working as a caretaker outside Paris.

Grand Prize
Son Of Saul, dir: Laszlo Nemes
In the horror of 1944 Auschwitz, a prisoner forced to burn the corpses of his own people finds moral survival upon trying to salvage from the flames the body of a boy he takes for his son.

Best Director
Hou Hsiao-hsien, The Assassin
Based on a short story written during Tang dynasty, "Nie Ying Niang" is a story about assassin Nie's mission to assassinate a political rival.

Jury Prize
The Lobster, dir: Yorgos Lanthimos
In a dystopian near future, single people are obliged to find a matching mate in 45 days or are transformed into animals and released into the woods.

Best Actor
Vincent Lindon, The Measure Of A Man

Best Actress
Rooney Mara, Carol
Emmanuelle Bercot, Mon Roi

Best Screenplay
Michel Franco, Chronic

Palme d’Honneur
Agnès Varda

Caméra d’Or
La Tierra Y La Sombra, dir: César Augusto Acevdeo

Short Film Palme d’Or
Waves 98, dir: Ely Dagher

From what I've been reading Dheepan is somewhat of a surprise winner since most expected Son Of Saul to take the top honors. Audiard is btw the director of Un Prophéte and De Rouille Et d'Os, two movies that got tons of praise that I thought were just alright. I've been low-key hearing a lot of buzz surrounding Hou Hsiao-hsien, whose Best Director win is suggesting his career might be getting that Nicolas Winding Refn push (who won Best Director at Cannes for Drive).

Carol is getting a lot of buzz because it's the most 'mainstream' (read: American) movie of the bunch, although I've been reading many opinions who felt Mara and Blanchett (the latter playing the 'Carol') should've shared the award instead of Bercot.

Meanwhile the possibly biggest (and most random) news coming out of Cannes is the shaping up of the Assassin's Creed movie which will not only star Michael Fassbender, but also his MacBeth co-star Marion Cotillard on top of being directed by MacBeth director Justin Kurzel with Fassbender's girlfriend, Ex Machina's Alicia Vikander, also being up for a role.

Btw, it looks like Denis Villeneuve has another hit on his hands with Sicario, which is deemed more traditional and straight forward than his usual movies but expertly executed.

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
@TheGodling

This is one of the most exciting Cannes I've read about. Really excited about so many movies, especially The Lobster, Sicario, Macbeth, and of course, Dheepan (Audiard's A Prophet is one of the top 5 greatest films in the last decade); Son of Saul looks good too, and it seems like a more polished version of The Grey Zone which is an older Holocaust movie with similar storyline

Also, for batshyt fukkery, I'm looking forward to Yakuza Apocalypse too:lolbron:

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
I really want to see Dheepan. Seeing Rams next week I think so finally I'm seeing shyt before most people here, well Rams and Avengers 2

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
@TheGodling

This is one of the most exciting Cannes I've read about. Really excited about so many movies, especially The Lobster, Sicario, Macbeth, and of course, Dheepan (Audiard's A Prophet is one of the top 5 greatest films in the last decade); Son of Saul looks good too, and it seems like a more polished version of The Grey Zone which is an older Holocaust movie with similar storyline

Also, for batshyt fukkery, I'm looking forward to Yakuza Apocalypse too:lolbron:

The Lobster sounds like the most interesting movie out of the bunch. And you really are going to need to explain how the fukk A Prophet is a top 5 film of the last decade.

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
The Lobster sounds like the most interesting movie out of the bunch. And you really are going to need to explain how the fukk A Prophet is a top 5 film of the last decade.
I think its a perfect film: acting, storyline, directing, cinematography, etc (plus I'm a sucker for great foreign films and crime dramas), but the first time I watched it, I was shocked at how engrossing it was; the acting and directing especially. I love Audiard's camerawork and editing style too; Animal Kingdom, Dogtooth, and A Prophet are three of the greatest films of the past decade and for good reasons.

StraxStrax

Daps
Watching The Pawnbroker and its the worst Lumet movie I've seen and given that Rod Steiger is the lead I feel hoodwinked

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I think its a perfect film: acting, storyline, directing, cinematography, etc (plus I'm a sucker for great foreign films and crime dramas), but the first time I watched it, I was shocked at how engrossing it was; the acting and directing especially. I love Audiard's camerawork and editing style too; Animal Kingdom, Dogtooth, and A Prophet are three of the greatest films of the past decade and for good reasons.

:patrice:

8tmW2i1.gif

StraxStrax

Daps
Watching The Pawnbroker and its the worst Lumet movie I've seen and given that Rod Steiger is the lead I feel hoodwinked

Steiger is good tho but everybody else have no subtlety. If they are happy they are almost dancing with joy and that type of shyt.

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Anyway, I just saw that Cineart has picked up Gaspar Noe's Love for distribution over here which is good news, even if it only got a mild reception at Cannes (at least for Noe's standards).

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
How do editors make the background noise of a street scene seem natural

Look at this terrible usc film school video.
u can literally hear the cuts they made as the audio cuts in and out unnaturally. How do editors make this process natural? 1 take?

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
@TheGodling The lobster and sicario been in my sig for about a week. I aslo really wanna peep The Assassin.

I still have a few of the hypes cannes movies from the past 3 years i need to watch :francis:

some blogs said there were really only 3 great movies this year

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
How do editors make the background noise of a street scene seem natural

Look at this terrible usc film school video.
u can literally hear the cuts they made as the audio cuts in and out unnaturally. How do editors make this process natural? 1 take?

They don't, since that's not the editor's job, it's the sound department's job. Anyway, what they do is that they only record the dialog (hence why in tv/movie productions you always see them holding a boom mic over the actors' heads to limit and cancel out background noise) and every other sound (cars, footsteps, etc.) is added in post production.