Official FGC thread (Streams, Pop-offs, fukkery) **EVO 2024 TOP 8 TODAY**

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
Multiversus pot was $100k and was split among top 32, and yea first place got $10k

Its kind of nutty cuz each of those titles not named melty/sg could easily do the same shyt for their top 32 and not lose a wink of sleep.

this is why I hope that LOL game obliterates everything else because even though I'm no where near good enough to place in anything any more, I would like to see this shyt be legit at some point. only time people we're really eating off of this was with echo fox, and that shyt was a confirmed blow up at the end fo the day.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That’s bullshyt. They could toss the winner 25-50k and not miss it at all. It’s basically advertising for them if done right. They couldn’t get an ad on tv for that low of a price.
No he's absolutely right. One of the huge reasons fgc don't get paid is because of attitudes like this. Fgc nikkas don't spend money once they buy the game and a stick. I wouldn't pay y'all nikkas either :mjlol:

DLC and skins are the reason mobas have payouts in the millions. These companies ain't doing that shyt out of the kindness of their hearts. It's a relationship between the company and the consumer.

The reason Capcom Cup is able to pay 250k is because nikkas buy them skins and dlc. And they used to do the 50k pots for EvO before they created Capcom Cup so it ain't like it hasn't been happening

Again nikkas be sounding like WNBA players. Companies don't "toss" bread towards shyt they don't think is gonna have ROI. Dota can have $30 million dollar pots because of the money the game generates. Their tournaments have sold out the Staples Center. Nikkas BUY shyt constantly that's how mobas are constructed

I know fgc payouts are shyt but I know WHY they are. And too many fg players get mad and think nikkas supposed to just give us money. Plenty of companies have come and go just giving the fgc money thinking they were gonna get a decent return

We're lucky to get the money we're getting now because nikkas don't realize how close we are to some of this shyt being gone. Evo ran at a LOSS my nikka. I can promise you Sony rethinking purchasing the shyt

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Killer Instinct and now Multiversus have showed you free to play is the way if fgc wants a future where they get paid. WB giving a $100k to Multiversus was because WB thinks Multiversus is gonna be enormous. And so far it has been

The day of paying $40-60 for these bare ass games is over. I hate the way the game plays but Mortal Kombat has consistently had the best fighting game product. You can look at a Mortal Kombat game and justify paying $60 for it.

A bulk of these fgs ain't worth shyt and the consumer ain't going for that bullshyt these days. Street Fighter 5 found that out the hard way. And they corrected the ship eventually but too little too late. Nikkas had already abandoned the game after that shytty launch

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Its kind of nutty cuz each of those titles not named melty/sg could easily do the same shyt for their top 32 and not lose a wink of sleep.

this is why I hope that LOL game obliterates everything else because even though I'm no where near good enough to place in anything any more, I would like to see this shyt be legit at some point. only time people we're really eating off of this was with echo fox, and that shyt was a confirmed blow up at the end fo the day.
Multiversus did that because Multiversus is one of the most popular games in the world right now and it JUST came out. WB has shown that they really believe in this game and so far they've been right

Nikkas got high hopes for this LOL game but I assure you of that game don't have a good ROI Riot gonna abandon that shyt with no hesitation. Then you can forget about pots

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
These multimillion (or billion) dollar companies can throw 10 or 20K in the pot for the biggest tournament of the year. They're either stupid or so greedy they can't see how the big E-Sports games go. Capcom should, despite them having their own tour. It's a tiny tax write off, and is promotion and encouragement for people to play their game. Idiocy.

Especially when they promote the next season of DLC or their next game.

That’s bullshyt. They could toss the winner 25-50k and not miss it at all. It’s basically advertising for them if done right. They couldn’t get an ad on tv for that low of a price.

Ya'll do NOT understand these companies do not build esports into their budgets like that. This is a new phenomenon. You think 160k viewers is good? Valorant and League average that THREE DAYS A WEEK for ten months a year. The numbers simply ain't there from sponsors/ad buyers. Games cost millions of dollars to develop and maintain. And to be perfectly honest, esports as a vehicle to sell the game is STILL new compared to games like CS:GO and League of Legends. We're in the minority because we follow this shyt. But the average person is not checking for Evo or anything like that. The average CS:GO player watches the esport AND spends money in their market.

Oh, and why do those games make money hand over fist? Why do they have pots so large? Microtransactions.

Its not a "tiny" write off for CPT or Tekken World Tour. There's advertising, venue rentals/fees, TOURNAMENT STAFFING, working with the union contractors at the venues for lighting and sound, paying people to run the stream and cast it. Bro this shyt is NOT cheap. And some of these games aren't even top sellers at these companies. Resident Evil ain't about to COST Capcom money beyond development and promo. If ya'll don't buy skins & stages, Street Fighter does. Even if it costs a million to put this on. That a million that so many other games in their libraries DON'T cost them.

Also, EVO and Combo Breaker are independent tournaments, not owned by Capcom or BamCo at all. Their pots come from pools, which are already down because of COVID apprehension and people just have less disposable income to travel/enter tournaments. That also goes for esports organizations.

I don't understand how ya'll think these companies are just flush with cash. Everyone is not Valve or Riot or Epic. But if Capcom was racking in hell cash from their microtransactions in the way that Riot or EA does, then this is a moot point.
I'm not saying I'm pro-microtransactions like that at all, but economics is economics. Riot is about to show the FGC that off the bat. The game is free, and EVERYONE is about to shell out hundreds on the game for fighters and skins....and their scene will flourish for it.

Last edited:

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Multiversus did that because Multiversus is one of the most popular games in the world right now and it JUST came out. WB has shown that they really believe in this game and so far they've been right

Nikkas got high hopes for this LOL game but I assure you of that game don't have a good ROI Riot gonna abandon that shyt with no hesitation. Then you can forget about pots

This is facts. But from the industry people I been talking to and the anecdotal conversations I'm having....the IP is strong as fukk. Especially if this drops alongside the new season of Arcane.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is facts. But from the industry people I been talking to and the anecdotal conversations I'm having....the IP is strong as fukk. Especially if this drops alongside the new season of Arcane.
Oh I don't doubt the initial hype and money generation. The question is how do they retain and KEEP nikkas

But again it comes back to my point of why the average person hates fighting games. If Riot can make a fg that appeals to the casual or the fringe fg fan they'll do fine

Fighting Games just have a high ass drop once the 10% get too good :russ: that's why I ain't having a judgement on that game till it's out for two years

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Oh I don't doubt the initial hype and money generation. The question is how do they retain and KEEP nikkas

But again it comes back to my point of why the average person hates fighting games. If Riot can make a fg that appeals to the casual or the fringe fg fan they'll do fine

Fighting Games just have a high ass drop once the 10% get too good :russ: that's why I ain't having a judgement on that game till it's out for two years

100%

Look at DNF right now. Week 1 everyone was hype on it. Now here we are a month out and everyone is talking about how its interactions a bullshyt and how there's no plan for its future.
I'm just baffled at how many people have no idea what goes into these events or how modern game development works. EA makes something like 30% of all its revenue from JUST FIFA Ultimate Team. EA was also paying damn near a BILLY to FIFA and they could AFFORD IT because of packs.

F2P is the wave and its coming and we will pay for the packs/characters because we want all the tools at our disposal. This is like complaining that the schools are a shambles but you won't vote for the millage to give them more funding.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town

You cant be serious with that. Probably costs more for a flight, room, and food than you make on winning some of them pots.

Wow. I didn't expect this at all. Not for "Evo" which i thought would be the Wrestlemania of this FGC ish. Didn't realize it was UFC status with the payouts. MK being only 2k doesn't even sound right.

That said, the convo it prompted in this thread was informative and got me rethinking previous assumptions I had. Like, I'd have thought someone like Sonic Fox who's been dogwalking the opposition for almost a decade now would be accumulating a nice annual bag for his efforts.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ya'll do NOT understand these companies do not build esports into their budgets like that. This is a new phenomenon. You think 160k viewers is good? Valorant and League average that THREE DAYS A WEEK for six months a year. The numbers simply ain't there from sponsors/ad buyers. Games cost millions of dollars to develop and maintain. And to be perfectly honest, esports as a vehicle to sell the game is STILL new compared to games like CS:GO and League of Legends. We're in the minority because we follow this shyt. But the average person is not checking for Evo or anything like that. The average CS:GO player watches the esport AND spends money in their market.

Oh, and why do those games make money hand over fist? Why do they have pots so large? Microtransactions.

Its not a "tiny" write off for CPT or Tekken World Tour. There's advertising, venue rentals/fees, TOURNAMENT STAFFING, working with the union contractors at the venues for lighting and sound, paying people to run the stream and cast it. Bro this shyt is NOT cheap. And some of these games aren't even top sellers at these companies. Resident Evil ain't about to COST Capcom money beyond development and promo. If ya'll don't buy skins & stages, Street Fighter does. Even if it costs a million to put this on. That a million that so many other games in their libraries DON'T cost them.

Also, EVO and Combo Breaker are independent tournaments, not owned by Capcom or BamCo at all. Their pots come from pools, which are already down because of COVID apprehension and people just have less disposable income to travel/enter tournaments. That also goes for esports organizations.

I don't understand how ya'll think these companies are just flush with cash. Everyone is not Valve or Riot or Epic. But if Capcom was racking in hell cash from their microtransactions in the way that Riot or EA does, then this is a moot point.
I'm not saying I'm pro-microtransactions like that at all, but economics is economics. Riot is about to show the FGC that off the bat. The game is free, and EVERYONE is about to shell out hundreds on the game for fighters and skins....and their scene will flourish for it.
I use to think Capcom was broke then I found out about how huge Monster Hunter was. Then I found out how good the Resident Evil remakes we're doing and felt dumb :russ: Resident Evil 8 sold 3 million copies the first day. Them nikkas could never make another Street Fighter and be good

Nikkas don't realize how long Ono had to beg Capcom to make SF4 because Capcom was done with fighting games. It's hard for them shyts to make money. They just created a fighting game division so they have more belief now than before but if this SF6 shyt don't work we right back to the dark ages:russ:

And I get nikkas frustration with micro transactions but I really don't mind them. They're optional. If we talking about some pay to win shyt it's a different story but I can't be mad at nikkas selling digital clothes if nikkas wanna buy them. It's fun and nikka you don't HAVE to buy the costume let the nikkas that like it enjoy that shyt:mjlol:

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Ya'll do NOT understand these companies do not build esports into their budgets like that. This is a new phenomenon. You think 160k viewers is good? Valorant and League average that THREE DAYS A WEEK for six months a year. The numbers simply ain't there from sponsors/ad buyers. Games cost millions of dollars to develop and maintain. And to be perfectly honest, esports as a vehicle to sell the game is STILL new compared to games like CS:GO and League of Legends. We're in the minority because we follow this shyt. But the average person is not checking for Evo or anything like that. The average CS:GO player watches the esport AND spends money in their market.

You've told me zero I don't already know. These games don't appeal to casuals the way they want. They possibly never will. Throwing an extra 25K in the Evo pot is not going to kill any of these companies. Monster Hunter alone saved Capcom from being bought or going bankrupt. They can invest some of that into SF if they want it to grow and flourish. This isn't the 90s anymore, and the business model is different since they can't make a grip on coin op machines any more. The reason they should invest into pots:

Unlike the big E-Sports games, there isn't even the ILLUSION you can make a living playing their game. I've been playing Magic: The Gathering since the 90s and they're going through the same thing. They had their own Pro Tour, where if you did well enough, you would get aifare and at certain levels an appearance fee to go play tournaments abroad, along with whatever you won. The company sold itself to Hasbro, and since, has cut the Tour, and keeps scaling back the prizes. There are no "stars" any more. You can't make a "living" playing any more. If the game wasn't so ridiculously good and addictive, it would have failed by now. The FGC NEVER had this. They ALMOST did with the advent of the CPT, but Capcom is so worried about their own events, and not the community as a whole, it stagnated. Someone a tier under Idom, who top 8s semi-regularly, should be able to pay his rent, car and basics by grinding, before becoming a walking billboard for some team. That's how you get people fiending to get to that level, and investing time and money into mastering a competitive sport.

Look at this guy:

He was good at one game, and had his own computer part line, and drove a FERRARI. He was a gaming nerd, but looked (at least surface) like he had a good life off it, and got p*ssy. THAT'S why fools were going crazy trying to play high level Quake III. You can't expect people to dedicate their lives to shyt like that for crumbs. Justin Wong should be as popular as Daigo is in Japan. A poor immigrant kid from NYC that took on the world, the marketing writes itself, but no one tried to capitalize (Triforce did, but he failed on some fronts, along with a huge dose of racism).

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
I use to think Capcom was broke then I found out about how huge Monster Hunter was. Then I found out how good the Resident Evil remakes we're doing and felt dumb :russ: Resident Evil 8 sold 3 million copies the first day. Them nikkas could never make another Street Fighter and be good

Nikkas don't realize how long Ono had to beg Capcom to make SF4 because Capcom was done with fighting games. It's hard for them shyts to make money. They just created a fighting game division so they have more belief now than before but if this SF6 shyt don't work we right back to the dark ages:russ:

And I get nikkas frustration with micro transactions but I really don't mind them. They're optional. If we talking about some pay to win shyt it's a different story but I can't be mad at nikkas selling digital clothes if nikkas wanna buy them. It's fun and nikka you don't HAVE to buy the costume let the nikkas that like it enjoy that shyt:mjlol:

That's what I'm saying. And outside of bug fixes once RE or Monster Hunter Drops that shyt is DONE. No events, no promo, no nothing outside of maybe some DLC which is mostly built along side the main game and doesn't use that many new assets.
And I turned the corner on microtransactions as well. Especially the ones that are purely cosmetic. FIFA/EA FC is the worst because you can't even play online w/o spending money really.
But for other games, who cares. Especially when I can go and buy a Louis Vuitton skin in League :banderas:

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Wow. I didn't expect this at all. Not for "Evo" which i thought would be the Wrestlemania of this FGC ish. Didn't realize it was UFC status with the payouts. MK being only 2k doesn't even sound right.

That said, the convo it prompted in this thread was informative and got me rethinking previous assumptions I had. Like, I'd have thought someone like Sonic Fox who's been dogwalking the opposition for almost a decade now would be accumulating a nice annual bag for his efforts.
Sonic is fine. He's made a high six figures off fgs just from winning so much

Sonic is also smart. That nikka understands branding. He eats real good off his merch

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
You've told me zero I don't already know. These games don't appeal to casuals the way they want. They possibly never will. Throwing an extra 25K in the Evo pot is not going to kill any of these companies. Monster Hunter alone saved Capcom from being bought or going bankrupt. They can invest some of that into SF if they want it to grow and flourish. This isn't the 90s anymore, and the business model is different since they can't make a grip on coin op machines any more. The reason they should invest into pots:

Unlike the big E-Sports games, there isn't even the ILLUSION you can make a living playing their game. I've been playing Magic: The Gathering since the 90s and they're going through the same thing. They had their own Pro Tour, where if you did well enough, you would get aifare and at certain levels an appearance fee to go play tournaments abroad, along with whatever you won. The company sold itself to Hasbro, and since, has cut the Tour, and keeps scaling back the prizes. There are no "stars" any more. You can't make a "living" playing any more. If the game wasn't so ridiculously good and addictive, it would have failed by now. The FGC NEVER had this. They ALMOST did with the advent of the CPT, but Capcom is so worried about their own events, and not the community as a whole, it stagnated. Someone a tier under Idom, who top 8s semi-regularly, should be able to pay his rent, car and basics by grinding, before becoming a walking billboard for some team. That's how you get people fiending to get to that level, and investing time and money into mastering a competitive sport.

Look at this guy:

He was good at one game, and had his own computer part line, and drove a FERRARI. He was a gaming nerd, but looked (at least surface) like he had a good life off it, and got p*ssy. THAT'S why fools were going crazy trying to play high level Quake III. You can't expect people to dedicate their lives to shyt like that for crumbs. Justin Wong should be as popular as Daigo is in Japan. A poor immigrant kid from NYC that took on the world, the marketing writes itself, but no one tried to capitalize (Triforce did, but he failed on some fronts, along with a huge dose of racism).

If Monster Hunter is the game that saved Capcom WHY IN THE fukk should they invest even more money into a game that's niche? By your OWN admission?
If anything, they'd invest in MONSTER HUNTER.
You're acting like Capcom/NRS/ArcSys is asking you to spend another $100. What the fukk is $20 to you to support the scene at the end of CPT. Or donating to EVO or Combo Breaker?
You acting all high and mighty, but don't forget that these companies can EASILY go the Nintendo route and make a basic game with mass appeal and say fukk the community, we'll make our money off middle schoolers and soccer moms. Esports NEVER makes money for game companies. LCS runs Riot at a loss, CPT runs Capcom at a loss. These are not vessels to make money, they are big as commercials for the game. Outside of licensing and not shutting folks down for making money off their game, they don't have to do a thing. If the community wants these games to have bigger pots that money is going to have to come from the community. Because game devs are ALREADY taking losses on ALL this shyt. All of it.

You're talking about selling the dream, and I'm saying that dream is not possible without community support. It wasn't that people couldn't make a living...it was because IT COST TOO fukkING MUCH FOR THEM TO DO IT ALONE.

It's dollars and cents, man. Get your head out of the clouds.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
If Monster Hunter is the game that saved Capcom WHY IN THE fukk should they invest even more money into a game that's niche? By your OWN admission?
If anything, they'd invest in MONSTER HUNTER.
You're acting like Capcom/NRS/ArcSys is asking you to spend another $100. What the fukk is $20 to you to support the scene at the end of CPT. Or donating to EVO or Combo Breaker?
You acting all high and mighty, but don't forget that these companies can EASILY go the Nintendo route and make a basic game with mass appeal and say fukk the community, we'll make our money off middle schoolers and soccer moms. Esports NEVER makes money for game companies. LCS runs Riot at a loss, CPT runs Capcom at a loss. These are not vessels to make money, they are big as commercials for the game. Outside of licensing and not shutting folks down for making money off their game, they don't have to do a thing. If the community wants these games to have bigger pots that money is going to have to come from the community. Because game devs are ALREADY taking losses on ALL this shyt. All of it.

You're talking about selling the dream, and I'm saying that dream is not possible without community support. It wasn't that people couldn't make a living...it was because IT COST TOO fukkING MUCH FOR THEM TO DO IT ALONE.

It's dollars and cents, man. Get your head out of the clouds.
FOH. It's not my job to make SF a success, it's CAPCOM's. I bought SF5 and DBZF for GP to "support", but don't play either. That's MORE than enough. I stopped playing in tournaments over a decade ago, so I don't have to do shyt. If they don't want to make the steps necessary for SF to work, they should stop making it. You sound retarded telling us WE have to pay extra for SF to be a viable tournament game. Why is that needed all of a sudden when SF is 30 years old? 25K is life changing to you I guess, but Capcom probably spends more than that on office furniture per year. It's nothing when you pull in 8 or 9 figures a year.