Official "Dark Side Of The Ring" Discussion Thread

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bret was on Martha's side for the initial lawsuit. They had some sort of falling out, that's been left vague on both sides. Martha says Bret's only intentions were getting the tape library for the Harts, and Bret says there are other reasons for the falling out. I'm fairly certain the only reason Bret mended fences with the WWE was for fan service with the hall of fame, DVD commentary and to honor his family's legacy in the business. The WWE has all of the footage. If he didn't fix the relationship, their stories would be lost due to the egomaniacs running the show.

Yeah, Martha recently said Bret was supportive during the lawsuit too. The whole situation is written about in great detail in Bret's book, Martha also has her own book.

In regards to Bret and Martha that was unfortunate, really sad situation there. From the outside it seems to be about disagreements after the lawsuit in terms of Owen's memory and legacy, Bret probably feels Martha after the lawsuit not really allowing WWE freedom to do what they like in regards to Owen in terms of HOF and DVD's etc is hurting Owen's legacy because it's not showcasing what a great talent he was and also he's not being spoken about glowingly as much as he could be by many people who loved or were very fond of him.

From Martha's perspective she doesn't want anything to do with a company that she felt are responsible for Owen's death and who she feels didn't treat her well after at all either.

I can understand both sides, it's a complex situation. Adding on to that, Martha can be a bit down on the business at times and Bret lived and breathed the business and so did his family. I'm sure that would be a source of some of the issues too. Even in the Darkside Of The Ring documentary you can see the children, especially the daughter either don't like the business or are apathetic towards it. Which is understandable after what happened to them.

But Bret may feel like that's a slight against his family and the fans. Owen was very good, I personally always hoped he'd be inducted just to get the credit he so much deserved but I always understood and respected that Martha didn't want that. But if it was infact an accident had hoped for maybe some reconciliation where Owen could be celebrated and maybe another documentary about him.

Bret's career and legacy was very important to him, 1 of the reasons he squashed it was cause he didn't want his career he put so much in to be buried or not appreciated in the way it should be. He was also carrying it as a burden and wanted forgiveness if possible. It's quite a multifaceted issue it seems, I think a lot of it stems from how things were going after the lawsuit was settled.

It's a shame because Bret having a relationship with Owen's children is how things should be, but this bullshyt has got in the way and I think it's a shame. I love Bret but sometimes I think he's been a bit harsh with some of the things he's said towards Martha. It's just a sad situation all round, Owen's death caused devastation and destruction, really fractured their whole family.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Yeah, Martha recently said Bret was supportive during the lawsuit too. The whole situation is written about in great detail in Bret's book, Martha also has her own book.

In regards to Bret and Martha that was unfortunate, really sad situation there. From the outside it seems to be about disagreements after the lawsuit in terms of Owen's memory and legacy, Bret probably feels Martha after the lawsuit not really allowing WWE freedom to do what they like in regards to Owen in terms of HOF and DVD's etc is hurting Owen's legacy because it's not showcasing what a great talent he was and also he's not being spoken about glowingly as much as he could be by many people who loved or were very fond of him.

From Martha's perspective she doesn't want anything to do with a company that she felt are responsible for Owen's death and who she feels didn't treat her well after at all either.

I can understand both sides, it's a complex situation. Adding on to that, Martha can be a bit down on the business at times and Bret lived and breathed the business and so did his family. I'm sure that would be a source of some of the issues too. Even in the Darkside Of The Ring documentary you can see the children, especially the daughter either don't like the business or are apathetic towards it. Which is understandable after what happened to them.

But Bret may feel like that's a slight against his family and the fans. Owen was very good, I personally always hoped he'd be inducted just to get the credit he so much deserved but I always understood and respected that Martha didn't want that. But if it was infact an accident had hoped for maybe some reconciliation where Owen could be celebrated and maybe another documentary about him.

Bret's career and legacy was very important to him, 1 of the reasons he squashed it was cause he didn't want his career he put so much in to be buried or not appreciated in the way it should be. He was also carrying it as a burden and wanted forgiveness if possible. It's quite a multifaceted issue it seems, I think a lot of it stems from how things were going after the lawsuit was settled.

It's a shame because Bret having a relationship with Owen's children is how things should be, but this bullshyt has got in the way and I think it's a shame. I love Bret but sometimes I think he's been a bit harsh with some of the things he's said towards Martha. It's just a sad situation all round, Owen's death caused devastation and destruction, really fractured their whole family.

Wait, so Bret and the kids to this day don’t have a relationship? I know the documentary didn’t really touch too deeply with this. But I didn’t know if like they completely don’t fukk with Bret.

I remember back then they had issues with the other Harts but I though Bret and Martha remained roughly cool

El Poyo Loco

Akrassikauda = Black Scorpion
Daps
Reppin
The 5 Boroughs
Bret was on Martha's side for the initial lawsuit. They had some sort of falling out, that's been left vague on both sides. Martha says Bret's only intentions were getting the tape library for the Harts, and Bret says there are other reasons for the falling out. I'm fairly certain the only reason Bret mended fences with the WWE was for fan service with the hall of fame, DVD commentary and to honor his family's legacy in the business. The WWE has all of the footage. If he didn't fix the relationship, their stories would be lost due to the egomaniacs running the show.

I believe the tape scenario because Bret knew what Vince would do and years later Vince proved Bret to be right. Vince was going to do a Warrior style DVD on Bret and the family and he couldnt let that happen.

DanielAlfredsson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A tough but important watch. It's a shame a large portion of wrestling fans have been so conditioned to defend wrestling against all detractors criticism that they have vilified Martha so harshly. A strong woman. If I die in some fukkery, I hope my wife takes this shyt to the people responsible the way Martha seemingly did.

I haven't had a chance to sift through all the posts so my bad if this was covered, but has it been verified that was Owen's blood on the mat? I've watched this show since sadly and I feel like I would have noticed that. Were there no matches with blood? Not Taker & Austin?

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
WWE was about to do Bret Hart the way they did Ultimate Warrior. They were ready to create a whole DVD shytting on him before the meeting with Vince where they mended fences.

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
I think I'm done with the WWE indefinitely for now. After the Saudi bullshyt, blatant Trump support, poor working conditions for its wrestlers (e.g., Roman & Sami walking out on the corona bullshyt) and clarity on the Owen situation, I can't watch this bullshyt in good faith anymore.
Welcome breh :wow:
Its been fukk the WWE for a long time :wow:

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
Good episode but knowing the story quite in depth I know they could have gone a lot more into this. There was a lot more information.

The Harley Race convo.

Owen asking for his release after Montreal Screwjob.

Making him The Blue Blazer character and why.

Bret’s meeting with Vince.

The story about how the stunt came to be.

And a lot more...

Obviously it would have been of interest to to hear from the likes of Bret, Foley, Russo, Lawler and many others.

Good episode but was a lot more mileage on it. WWE don’t come across well but with the full story they would come off even worse.
What was the Harley Race convo?