Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I'm not worried about Goof. He's had some duds each of the past two seasons and winds up fine in the long run. There's enough of a track record not to be concerned about him.

Ben Johnson is another thing. I'd like to add that for all the worries about Tampa's run defense, Detroit wound up averaging 5.1 yards per carry today (Gibbs at 6.5; Monty at 3.2 :sas2: ).

I think the increase in deep shots for Jamo may be convincing Goff to attempt more throws he usually passed on last season. One of the few endzone shots today as to Jamo being double covered and one of the INTs was in double coverage as well. He's not taking check downs as much as he used to. I refuse to believe it's solely due to Josh Reynods being gone because LaPorta can run the same routes. He's just making bad decisions...I expect he'll calm down.

Johnson though....ehh. I don't think the scheme has been figured out. I just think he's getting too cute while also refusing to establish the run. And the tempo and flow of the offense is trash. LaPorta is a top 5 TE in the league, there is no real reason not to get him involved. Same with Amon Ra last week. Some of the routes he ran today were right there last week but the focus wasn't there from Johnson. My question...how many Ls are we gonna pile up before something changes. Because clearly last week didn't change a damn thing in his mind.

I watch the coordinator interviews and it's hilarious how Glenn always gets more antagonism and challenge from the media, whereas Johnson goes up there smiling and having fun without facing tough questions. It's like the press, fans, etc are so enthralled by having a coordinator other teams want to hire that nobody sees what's going on. I'd bet money sports radio will include all types of complaints about Baker "throwing it all over" the Lions (he didn't), not being able to stop the run (we did), etc while Johnson goes untouched.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
All-22 footage is out.

It's like LaPorta didn't exist. Look at this shyt.

This has nothing to do with Goff or Johnson being figured out. This is a mixture of TERRIBLE decisions by Goff and terrible play calling by Johnson. I feel like both could overcome each other if they showed an ounce of common sense. I get it, Jamo is really good so more deep shots have been added to the playbook. But that should not supplant what this team has been designed to do: run the ball, get easy completions, set up YAC, and take some shots once defenses are on their heels. There were 3-5 easy LaPorta shots in that game that could have changed everything.

Remember when you were a kid and would get in trouble about cleaning your room? Mom says clean your room...you make up the bed, but don't pick up the toys off the floor. Then you get in trouble and pick the toys off the floor but don't pick the clothes off the floor. On and on lol. That's Ben Johnson right now. All last week he heard about the lack of Amon Ra, so he dialed up a bunch of shots to him....but nothing to LaPorta. This week he's gonna be asked about the lack of LaPorta, and then against the Cardinals he will send a shyt ton of attempts at LaPorta while ignoring Jamo or the run game. This will go on and on until he finds some level of balance later. But we can't afford to fukk around if the goal is to get a high seed. Sometimes you lose tough games in November and December, it happens. I'd rather go into those months without a bunch of unnecessary Ls in September from stupid decisions.

dh86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I look forward to watching saquon and bijan tonight so Ben Johnson can go see how it’s done smh

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

Dodged a bullet letting him go but our current guard situation isn't great. Gotta hope Christian Mahogany is ready later this season, just in case.