Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Packers looked bad last night, against an even worse Raiders team and still couldn't win.

To me all the talk about Brian Burns, Crosby etc is people playing Madden/fantasy football. Burns is on the last year of his deal meaning you either trade a high draft pick for a one year rental or you pay him 20mil a year next year with a massive new deal. Crosby is on a somewhat affordable long term deal but you'd still be talking about paying 19mil next season.

Lions gotta pay a lot of guys coming up. Goff is getting an extension unless something crazy happens (injury, massive fall off in production over the rest of season, etc). Amon Ra is getting paid, next year most likely and since he wasn't a 1st round pick there isn't a 5th year option. We have the 5th year option for Penei Sewell but he's gonna get a massive deal. Alim McNeill won't get a massive DT deal like elite players but he's going to get paid. Brad Homes' hit rate in the draft is insane but the downside is you gotta start paying guys. Good news is we have a lot of cap space over the next few years but we also have to consider non-draft guys who are coming up. Do we extend Jonah Jackson? What about Taylor Decker?

And we haven't even mentioned the guys coming up later like Hutch. I'd be stunned if he's not a Pro Bowler this season, and we could be talking All Pro next season. He's gonna get PAID paid. If Kerby Joseph continues to improve he's going to get paid. Here or elsewhere? Who knows. Then you got Brian Branch. My point is while I can imagine them taking a shot at a big name at some point, any move Holmes makes is gonna be influenced by the cap situation we have coming up. Maybe he goes "fukk them picks" for the right guy, but I doubt it's any of the names being thrown out right now. I'm seeing people claim we can get Patrick Surtain lol. Most likely name out of them all is Crosby simply due to his contract not being terrible. I just doubt it happens.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
Packers looked bad last night, against an even worse Raiders team and still couldn't win.

To me all the talk about Brian Burns, Crosby etc is people playing Madden/fantasy football. Burns is on the last year of his deal meaning you either trade a high draft pick for a one year rental or you pay him 20mil a year next year with a massive new deal. Crosby is on a somewhat affordable long term deal but you'd still be talking about paying 19mil next season.

Lions gotta pay a lot of guys coming up. Goff is getting an extension unless something crazy happens (injury, massive fall off in production over the rest of season, etc). Amon Ra is getting paid, next year most likely and since he wasn't a 1st round pick there isn't a 5th year option. We have the 5th year option for Penei Sewell but he's gonna get a massive deal. Alim McNeill won't get a massive DT deal like elite players but he's going to get paid. Brad Homes' hit rate in the draft is insane but the downside is you gotta start paying guys. Good news is we have a lot of cap space over the next few years but we also have to consider non-draft guys who are coming up. Do we extend Jonah Jackson? What about Taylor Decker?

And we haven't even mentioned the guys coming up later like Hutch. I'd be stunned if he's not a Pro Bowler this season, and we could be talking All Pro next season. He's gonna get PAID paid. If Kerby Joseph continues to improve he's going to get paid. Here or elsewhere? Who knows. Then you got Brian Branch. My point is while I can imagine them taking a shot at a big name at some point, any move Holmes makes is gonna be influenced by the cap situation we have coming up. Maybe he goes "fukk them picks" for the right guy, but I doubt it's any of the names being thrown out right now. I'm seeing people claim we can get Patrick Surtain lol. Most likely name out of them all is Crosby simply due to his contract not being terrible. I just doubt it happens.
Lions got a shot to win it all you go all in. If Crosby, Burns, Surtain can get us into championship discussion this year why wait

Decker is not longterm answer at LT. Sewell trending into being a superstar. Can see them moving on from Decker soon

Only sewell and Amon Ra will break bank soon. And Goff is signed for one more year and lions still have franchise tag to use on him

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps

You go all in now exactly for the reasons you laid out: they can't pay everybody. Load up while you can for this season and next before the dominos start to fall.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
You go all in now exactly for the reasons you laid out: they can't pay everybody. Load up while you can for this season and next before the dominos start to fall.

Who would you want that to be. Assuming not Surtain, who Denver isn't trading./

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I don’t think there are any untouchables for the Broncos… it might cost two firsts but the Lions can get him and I think they’d be dark horse SB contenders if they did

He's not available. Would love to have a shut down CB on a rookie contract but trading a guy like that should be a fireable offense lol. Out of the other guys who (allegedly) could be available...Crosby alongside Hutch would be unstoppable.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Crosby. Double down on the defensive line and get Hutch a dominant partner. That helps the secondary too.
What would you give up for him? After an outlier bad draft, next year will be a return of a loaded first round, including a lot of QBs pushing other players lower than they would normally go. 1st and 3rd round pick? (We have two 3rd round picks). I guess the admittedly compelling argument is that Holmes has nailed so many later round picks that we can afford to give up a 1st. The positions we'll likely target (CB, WR, o-line, etc) can certainly be found later in good drafts. Would I give up a 1st and 3rd for Crosby? Honestly....yea, sure. That automatically puts us in the Niners conversation for me. At that point you secure the rotation I've been dreaming about. Paschal, Cominsky, Houston, Okwara, etc shifting in and out. Beautiful...

Looking at the schedule for this week and man. Bears v Vikings, ensuring one of them falls to 1-5. Plus Justin Jefferson is out for 4 weeks. Seahawks at the Bengals, who are waking up. Niners at the Browns, which will be the best defense Purdy has faced. NFC could def shift quite a bit, further in our favor.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
What would you give up for him? After an outlier bad draft, next year will be a return of a loaded first round, including a lot of QBs pushing other players lower than they would normally go. 1st and 3rd round pick? (We have two 3rd round picks). I guess the admittedly compelling argument is that Holmes has nailed so many later round picks that we can afford to give up a 1st. The positions we'll likely target (CB, WR, o-line, etc) can certainly be found later in good drafts. Would I give up a 1st and 3rd for Crosby? Honestly....yea, sure. That automatically puts us in the Niners conversation for me. At that point you secure the rotation I've been dreaming about. Paschal, Cominsky, Houston, Okwara, etc shifting in and out. Beautiful...

Looking at the schedule for this week and man. Bears v Vikings, ensuring one of them falls to 1-5. Plus Justin Jefferson is out for 4 weeks. Seahawks at the Bengals, who are waking up. Niners at the Browns, which will be the best defense Purdy has faced. NFC could def shift quite a bit, further in our favor.
I'd give up a first and a third in a heartbeat. He went to Eastern Michigan, never misses a game and already produces on a terrible Raiders team with nothing around him.

I think his personality fits in with the team too.