Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I wonder what Holmes and the Lions think about the Clemson guys, as @djthegreat88 pointed out (Bryan Bresee DT, Myles Murphy DE/DT). As well as Tyree Wilson, DE/DT from Texas Tech who is shooting up draft boards now. Seems likely that all of them will be available at 6, whereas we can probably assume Jalen Carter and Will Anderson will be gone. Bresee has elite run defense (but had an ACL tear in 2021), and Tyree and Murphy are super versatile athletic freaks.

Given that Glen's defense requires heavy man coverage from CBs I think we'll target Chris Gonzales from Oregon or Joey Porter from PSU. Both played heavy man whereas I've read most of the other CB prospects in the first round were zone. Does Holmes risk both CBs being taken before 18, or does he take one at 6? Maybe we go d-line at 6 and then trade up from 18 to get our CB. Who knows. Worth noting the Lions have had a lot of scouts at Oregon games lately. Some people assumed it could be for Noah Sewell, their LB (and Penei's little brother). But given what Holmes has said about drafting LBs later in drafts, I think he's been heavily scouting Gonazles and that's his guy. BTW I trust whatever he does.
:manny:
I’ll trust anything we do until I’m given a reason not to but if we don’t end up with the next Marshall Faulk or at worst Reggie Bush in this era I’m gonna be pissed. Assuming he falls to 18.

I’m banging the table guys :pachaha: Banging the fukking table!!

He broke 33 tackles as of September. I saw online he broke over 100 tackles this season :whew:, No, I can’t verify, I’ve been searching for a while:sadcam:. I can’t find anyone’s total forced missed tackles.

We have to get this guy. I’m gonna be on this all season. Positional value be dammed :damn:

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
If they address one CB spot and interior rusher in FA. I wouldn’t be opposed to Bijan or Quentin Johnson. Luxury picks but would make offense arguably best in NFL. Swift/Robinson combo would be scary. Two game breaking RBs. And I think they lose Chark in FA. He’s probably best FA WR on market. Would not break bank to bring him back

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I’ll trust anything we do until I’m given a reason not to but if we don’t end up with the next Marshall Faulk or at worst Reggie Bush in this era I’m gonna be pissed. Assuming he falls to 18.

I’m banging the table guys :pachaha: Banging the fukking table!!

He broke 33 tackles as of September. I saw online he broke over 100 tackles this season :whew:, No, I can’t verify, I’ve been searching for a while:sadcam:. I can’t find anyone’s total forced missed tackles.

We have to get this guy. I’m gonna be on this all season. Positional value be dammed :damn:

I assume you're referring to the Texas RB, Bijan Robinson. Dunno man. There's a saying that we can't let great be the enemy of good. Is Bijan great, likely elite talent that would make this team better? Yes. But Zach Charbonnet is good, would make the team better, and could go in the third or fourth round. Jahmyr Gibbs is good, will be there in the second round, is very comparable to Swift, and would make us better too.

I wouldn't be mad if Holmes took Bijan since I trust him, I'm just saying I don't think he will because of how he values talent. Then again maybe Holmes thinks he has a 5 year window to Do Something (playoffs, division title, etc) with Goff, and pairing a potentially elite RB with a potentially elite WR (Jameson) fix that game plan.

dh86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
It makes zero sense to use both first round picks and not spend one on a QB. The Lions are at a fork in the road right now, and I don’t want them to get too focused on ‘plugging holes’. I feel the core of the team is such that Brad Holmes can swing for the fences and go for it. When you take away all emotion and bluster from the situation, if the Lions take Stroud at 6, and traded Goff for picks and gained $20 million more cap space, and with this system and OL, that’s a much better risk than taking the 3rd or 4th best DE in this draft and giving him the same contract. Sure taking the DE could ‘solidify’ the line, but what’s the real upside with the 6th pick taking Bryan Breese? Holmes had the same choice with staying at the bottom of Round 1 with guys like Dax Hill or Brisker that’ll never be stars or moving up for Jameson that can be. Both are easy choices. We can’t fukk this chance up.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I assume you're referring to the Texas RB, Bijan Robinson. Dunno man. There's a saying that we can't let great be the enemy of good. Is Bijan great, likely elite talent that would make this team better? Yes. But Zach Charbonnet is good, would make the team better, and could go in the third or fourth round. Jahmyr Gibbs is good, will be there in the second round, is very comparable to Swift, and would make us better too.

I wouldn't be mad if Holmes took Bijan since I trust him, I'm just saying I don't think he will because of how he values talent. Then again maybe Holmes thinks he has a 5 year window to Do Something (playoffs, division title, etc) with Goff, and pairing a potentially elite RB with a potentially elite WR (Jameson) fix that game plan.
Yes I’m talking about Bijan. If we’re not taking him I don’t want to draft a RB.

Some things need to die like the trade value chart. Positional value while ignoring the ability to contribute elsewhere needs to die as well. If Bijan couldn’t line up and run routes I’d agree with positional value. If he couldn’t pass protect, I’d agree. He’s shown he can play every down.

I live in Texas, I watch these longhorn games. He’s the Jameson Williams of RB. Meaning he looks different when he has the ball in hand. Even more special than swift. Drafting him is worth the bust or injury risk at RB.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
It makes zero sense to use both first round picks and not spend one on a QB. The Lions are at a fork in the road right now, and I don’t want them to get too focused on ‘plugging holes’. I feel the core of the team is such that Brad Holmes can swing for the fences and go for it. When you take away all emotion and bluster from the situation, if the Lions take Stroud at 6, and traded Goff for picks and gained $20 million more cap space, and with this system and OL, that’s a much better risk than taking the 3rd or 4th best DE in this draft and giving him the same contract. Sure taking the DE could ‘solidify’ the line, but what’s the real upside with the 6th pick taking Bryan Breese? Holmes had the same choice with staying at the bottom of Round 1 with guys like Dax Hill or Brisker that’ll never be stars or moving up for Jameson that can be. Both are easy choices. We can’t fukk this chance up.
We’re not taking a QB in the first. It makes no sense, even less than RB in the first the way this team is constructed.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

I gotta disagree. Campbell was pretty adamant that Goff is their guy this week, and I'd expect similar comments from Holmes whenever he speaks to the media in the next few weeks/months. They think this is the window. The team has been rebuilt, there are a few holes that will be plugged after the draft and FA...then they're going out to win now. VS Stroud taking a couple years to develop and then suddenly you gotta pay or replace multiple guys.

I'm not saying I definitely want Bresee but he has elite potential and is already being mocked in the top 10. And end of the day whether all these guys are elite or not, the goal in my eyes is to do what San Francisco has done: stack d-line talent until you have a vicious rotation. To the point where you have elite guys like Nick Bosa who make everyone better. To the point where you have so much depth you can trade a guy like DeForest Buckner without missing a step thanks to guys like Arik Armstead.

We got a complete, potentially elite edge in Hutch. We got a potentially elite pass rusher in Houston. Paschal showed flashes and has a lot of potential. McNeill is a really good. The glaring hole is at the second DT spot (we'll prob never know if Levi was legit or not sadly). Why wouldn't completing the line be a top priority? All those guys will have 3-5 years before we have to pay them.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I gotta disagree. Campbell was pretty adamant that Goff is their guy this week, and I'd expect similar comments from Holmes whenever he speaks to the media in the next few weeks/months. They think this is the window. The team has been rebuilt, there are a few holes that will be plugged after the draft and FA...then they're going out to win now. VS Stroud taking a couple years to develop and then suddenly you gotta pay or replace multiple guys.

I'm not saying I definitely want Bresee but he has elite potential and is already being mocked in the top 10. And end of the day whether all these guys are elite or not, the goal in my eyes is to do what San Francisco has done: stack d-line talent until you have a vicious rotation. To the point where you have elite guys like Nick Bosa who make everyone better. To the point where you have so much depth you can trade a guy like DeForest Buckner without missing a step thanks to guys like Arik Armstead.

We got a complete, potentially elite edge in Hutch. We got a potentially elite pass rusher in Houston. Paschal showed flashes and has a lot of potential. McNeill is a really good. The glaring hole is at the second DT spot (we'll prob never know if Levi was legit or not sadly). Why wouldn't completing the line be a top priority? All those guys will have 3-5 years before we have to pay them.

Coach and gm agree. Can the replace Goff crowd move on already?

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Yes I’m talking about Bijan. If we’re not taking him I don’t want to draft a RB.

Some things need to die like the trade value chart. Positional value while ignoring the ability to contribute elsewhere needs to die as well. If Bijan couldn’t line up and run routes I’d agree with positional value. If he couldn’t pass protect, I’d agree. He’s shown he can play every down.

I live in Texas, I watch these longhorn games. He’s the Jameson Williams of RB. Meaning he looks different when he has the ball in hand. Even more special than swift. Drafting him is worth the bust or injury risk at RB.
I didn't watch their games but the one thing I don't like about Bijan from watching clips is he gets caught from behind. It doesn't look like he has breakaway speed. He does everything else great but I'd prefer a guy who can run away from people.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
he showed anzalone a lot of love during this :lupe:
Watching the post game interviews from Sunday it sounded like Anzalone is leaving to me. He said something about it being time to feed his family basically. Maybe Holmes gives him the type of deal he wants but I wouldn't be stunned if he takes the bag elsewhere.

That Holmes press conference was interesting. Doesn't show his hand on anything but did say he expects to re-sign some guys. Curious how the market determines what he thinks about re-signing Chark or Jamaal, both of whom could likely get more money elsewhere.

Def bring that man back. Buggs too.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
The two QBs really worth taking will be gone by pick 6. The Texans and Colts will see to that. Since that's the case no reason to use such a high draft pick on a QB.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Watching the post game interviews from Sunday it sounded like Anzalone is leaving to me. He said something about it being time to feed his family basically. Maybe Holmes gives him the type of deal he wants but I wouldn't be stunned if he takes the bag elsewhere.

That Holmes press conference was interesting. Doesn't show his hand on anything but did say he expects to re-sign some guys. Curious how the market determines what he thinks about re-signing Chark or Jamaal, both of whom could likely get more money elsewhere.

Def bring that man back. Buggs too.

When was the last time someone wanted to be here for something other than money? Wow. Hope he comes back too.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
where we getting this developmental QB? Wouldn’t mind Rattler or McKee with vikings pick or 3rd round pick