Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
So to be fair it’s playoffs or bust in 2023 right?

Basically. I think winning the NFC North has to be the goal. Bears are rebuilding, Green Bay may be in a soft rebuild (Rodgers done?), Vikings are the main competition but I really think we're building something that neutralizes their game plan. We don't have the schedule yet but just looking at the teams we play, 10-11 wins seems very doable.

This is gonna be the most important Lions offseason since 2014. People always blame the refs in that Dallas playoff game for dooming us but to me the real doom was that offseason, specifically the draft. When we had a chance to take Aaron Donald and pair him with Suh, and instead drafted a luxury TE who wasn't even that good. And it wasn't just that 1st round pick, the rest of that draft was terrible too. We drafted Kyle Van Noy and then refused to actually put him on the edge, instead turning a 3-4 LB/rusher into a 4-3 LB who couldn't cover. Dude was a bust here and then became really good elsewhere, playing his natural position. That team fell apart the next year when Suh bounced (shocker!) and hovered between being trash and mediocre from there on.

Brad Holmes isn't gonna make that mistake. We aren't taking that Notre Dame TE in the first round. If we come out of this with multiple clear cut starters (outside CB, nickel DB, interior DL) and hole pluggers (RB, guard) this team could be very fukking good. Add in some good free agent signings, like a vet CB, too. If we fix this d-line, specifically interior DL next to McNeill, everything else (secondary) will look better.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

For some reason, it didn't really dawn on me that Sheila is the one running the Lions now. Seems like she's genuinely invested in the team and maybe that's why they finally have good people in the front office and on the sidelines.

I think that's the best description I've seen for Goff and sums up my feelings about him.

If they don’t move on from Goff they could do much worse than him. He’s not so bad it demands they replace him. I think they improve that D and he’s the defacto QB they build around.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
If they don’t move on from Goff they could do much worse than him. He’s not so bad it demands they replace him. I think they improve that D and he’s the defacto QB they build around.
I think the best way you improve or maintain Goff is with a great RB. Swift has all the tools but is unreliable. I'd def look at using one of the 2nd round picks on a RB, depending on how things shake out.

JesusFOREVER

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
My Father in Heaven
Good season, very upsetting we don’t get a shot at the super bowl despite being the 2nd best team in the league the 2nd half of the season…oh well

Super Bowl year next year

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps

Maybe Campbell had a lot more to do with this offense than we've been led to believe. :leon:

Johnson has been great but Lions elite Oline and Campbell uber aggressiveness makes play calling so much easier for Johnson. Campbell probably already got somebody else waiting in the wings. He identified Johnson and brought him along

I heard on the Internet, think it was a lions pod, Campbell has way more say on the offense than the public thinks. They said a lot of the ideology is DC’s and if you look back, you can see it.

The offense struggled a lot in year one and there were no playmakers on defense so we slowed the game down as best we could and hoped we could dirty the game up.

When Johnson came in, Campbell took over play calling. IMO, to steer him into his vision.

Campbell said he wanted to play a game of matchup’s. The same as Sean Payton. If he has to hand hold the new OC or be the play caller next year, that’s what he’ll do.

The way Johnson has flourished, if I was a creative OC I’d come here knowing my coach is down to showcase my skills so long as they fit his matchup ideology.

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
I heard on the Internet, think it was a lions pod, Campbell has way more say on the offense than the public thinks. They said a lot of the ideology is DC’s and if you look back, you can see it.

The offense struggled a lot in year one and there were no playmakers on defense so we slowed the game down as best we could and hoped we could dirty the game up.

When Johnson came in, Campbell took over play calling. IMO, to steer him into his vision.

Campbell said he wanted to play a game of matchup’s. The same as Sean Payton. If he has to hand hold the new OC or be the play caller next year, that’s what he’ll do.

The way Johnson has flourished, if I was a creative OC I’d come here knowing my coach is down to showcase my skills so long as they fit his matchup ideology.
I'm starting to get a better understanding of Dan Campbell. He likes to play the lovable dumb meathead dudebro type in the public eye, and I'm sure that's a real part of his persona too. But he's got more going on upstairs than people give him credit for. The story he was telling Pat McAfee on his show about him watching the wave during that crucial Sewell reception for the 1st pretty much told me how he likes to play it. The story was total bullshyt cause watching highlights and interviews he was totally locked in in that moment, but played the story up like it was a total surprise to him. He was also responsible for drawing up and calling plays after he fired Anthony Lynn too when the offense picked up.

I'm honestly not really worried about the offense if Johnson leaves, as I think Campbell is a lot more involved than people realize, and he likes it that way, to operate that part a little under the radar.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I'm starting to get a better understanding of Dan Campbell. He likes to play the lovable dumb meathead dudebro type in the public eye, and I'm sure that's a real part of his persona too. But he's got more going on upstairs than people give him credit for. The story he was telling Pat McAfee on his show about him watching the wave during that crucial Sewell reception for the 1st pretty much told me how he likes to play it. The story was total bullshyt cause watching highlights and interviews he was totally locked in in that moment, but played the story up like it was a total surprise to him. He was also responsible for drawing up and calling plays after he fired Anthony Lynn too when the offense picked up.

I'm honestly not really worried about the offense if Johnson leaves, as I think Campbell is a lot more involved than people realize, and he likes it that way, to operate that part a little under the radar.
Yeah, I think he’s stupid like a fox if you know what I mean.

You’re right about the Lynn part.

I think Lynn didn’t work because Campbell begged him to cut his time away from football short and work with him. There was no grooming of Lynn cuz how could he under those circumstances. I’m not excepting a job to have my hand held by the person that begged me to come so I’d be more inclined to do it my way.

I think if the first year didn’t happen and Lynn showed up in year 3 (alternate universe) it would probably work because they’d be getting together on a level playing field.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
Carter honestly hasn’t been that impressive in the Georgia games I’ve watched. It’s mostly just a projection. Suh, Donald, McCoy, Fairley were dominant in college. Carter just doesnt seem to be on that level. Will Anderson production does match the hype.

No clue how this draft unfolds. But assume atleast 3 Qbs in top 5 and then Carter and Anderson. Wouldn’t shock me if by draft day Richardson stock is top 5 too. Possible one of them could drop to 6

But Might be the year to look for trade down. Clemson guys are both physical freaks but like Carter weren’t necessarily that productive. 6 Seems high for these corners.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I wonder what Holmes and the Lions think about the Clemson guys, as @djthegreat88 pointed out (Bryan Bresee DT, Myles Murphy DE/DT). As well as Tyree Wilson, DE/DT from Texas Tech who is shooting up draft boards now. Seems likely that all of them will be available at 6, whereas we can probably assume Jalen Carter and Will Anderson will be gone. Bresee has elite run defense (but had an ACL tear in 2021), and Tyree and Murphy are super versatile athletic freaks.

Given that Glen's defense requires heavy man coverage from CBs I think we'll target Chris Gonzales from Oregon or Joey Porter from PSU. Both played heavy man whereas I've read most of the other CB prospects in the first round were zone. Does Holmes risk both CBs being taken before 18, or does he take one at 6? Maybe we go d-line at 6 and then trade up from 18 to get our CB. Who knows. Worth noting the Lions have had a lot of scouts at Oregon games lately. Some people assumed it could be for Noah Sewell, their LB (and Penei's little brother). But given what Holmes has said about drafting LBs later in drafts, I think he's been heavily scouting Gonazles and that's his guy. BTW I trust whatever he does.
:manny:

Dem313wayz

Superstar
Daps
I wonder what Holmes and the Lions think about the Clemson guys, as @djthegreat88 pointed out (Bryan Bresee DT, Myles Murphy DE/DT). As well as Tyree Wilson, DE/DT from Texas Tech who is shooting up draft boards now. Seems likely that all of them will be available at 6, whereas we can probably assume Jalen Carter and Will Anderson will be gone. Bresee has elite run defense (but had an ACL tear in 2021), and Tyree and Murphy are super versatile athletic freaks.

Given that Glen's defense requires heavy man coverage from CBs I think we'll target Chris Gonzales from Oregon or Joey Porter from PSU. Both played heavy man whereas I've read most of the other CB prospects in the first round were zone. Does Holmes risk both CBs being taken before 18, or does he take one at 6? Maybe we go d-line at 6 and then trade up from 18 to get our CB. Who knows. Worth noting the Lions have had a lot of scouts at Oregon games lately. Some people assumed it could be for Noah Sewell, their LB (and Penei's little brother). But given what Holmes has said about drafting LBs later in drafts, I think he's been heavily scouting Gonazles and that's his guy. BTW I trust whatever he does.
:manny:

Interesting. I think you may be right. Look at how the rams where constructed.

Dominant Dline led by Donald. Lock down corner in Ramsey.

LBers all drafted and developed in later rds. Traded for a difference maker in Von to get them over the hump.

I actually like that strategy in todays NFL. You want to pay the most money to your dominant dline edge rusher and top corner