Obsidian Md Software

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Bumping this. I've been using this for the past month and LOVE it for my personal knowledge management.

Highly recommended.
Been looking into Obsidian for a while now especially since I have plans to dive into AI/ML. OneNote has been a good tool so far but I think my ideas and projects are starting to out grow the capabilities of it. Can you post a screenshot of what yours looks like? You can create a dummy one with random info if you would like. Just trying to get an idea of how I can migrate my information from OneNote and keep it in a format that would allow me to expand on certain ideas and topics.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Been looking into Obsidian for a while now especially since I have plans to dive into AI/ML. OneNote has been a good tool so far but I think my ideas and projects are starting to out grow the capabilities of it. Can you post a screenshot of what yours looks like? You can create a dummy one with random info if you would like. Just trying to get an idea of how I can migrate my information from OneNote and keep it in a format that would allow me to expand on certain ideas and topics.
Where is OneNone falling short for you? Obsidian is better in most ways (imo) but I'd like to give better advice based on your use-case.

Also, I'm not sure if screenshots do justice to Obsidian tbh. The best way I'd describe it is like the text-editing version of VS Code.. there are so many plugins and customizations and alternative layouts that are possible that it's hard to look at an individual layout and grasp the potential.

If you are planning on utilizing AI/ML within Obsidian, there are a few plugins that you can use so that AI does things like summarize your notes. I used it for journaling and instructed AI to review my notes for patterns & to give constructive feedback. (Required an OpenAI API key btw)

If you are planning on using Obsidian to take notes on AI/ML courses, one workflow that I use is that I have a custom-template that loads instantly every time I start a new note, and at the bottom is an area where I ask and answer questions (with slightly different formatting adjustments in this section). The special formatting is tied to a plugin that integrates w/ my flashcard app (Anki) so that once I hit the sync button in Obsidian, it takes my q&a notes and turns them into flashcards.

One piece of advice is to take things slow in the beginning. I overwhelmed myself when I realized just how many avenues I could customize (keyboard shortcuts, javascript-enabled template triggers, cross-device sync, git compatibility, snippets, AI, Obsidian Canvas, etc). It can be a lot to bite off at once, so take your time and utilize the Obsidian videos on YouTube for an idea of what is possible/best practices.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
My use case would be mainly note taking and mind mapping. Essentially I have some ideas that I want to start working towards that are probably 5-10 years away. So I will need something that I can consolidate and store all my research, notes, people of interest, and how they are connected. I think the custom template is what I'm looking for at the moment and as I yet further along, I can build on that and refine it to fit my needs better. Would you mind posting a link to the template so I can take a look at it? Thanks.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The Obsidian Forum is pretty popular. The 'Share & Showcase' section is different ppl sharing how they use Obsidian. Good for inspiration or if you are having trouble w/ a specific problem. Here is a post in that forum of someone explaining their template in templater:

Alternatively here is a breakdown video

It's seems complex at first, but after a while you realize it's just very basic Javascript that you can grasp even if you don't know Javascript

I dabbled in Mind Mapping earlier this year. I drew them out on a separate device and then uploaded the pdf to Obsidian, but there are those that draw inside of Obsidian too IIRC. That's another one that should have some explainer videos on Youtube

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Maybe my favorite app on the planet.

The ExcaliBrain plugin with Dataview is straight up incredible.

I got my entire STEM notes from all my classes all on this thing and making connections to what was seemingly not related. Everything I study formally and advice from online is connected. They got CircuitJS and code snippets runners for plugins right now too so things like Leetcode are going to be pretty easy to connect problems together.

Combined with Concepts and Notability to make some drawings here and there, knowledge and relationships really scale up the more that's added.

Last edited:

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Maybe my favorite app on the planet.

The ExcaliBrain plugin with Dataview is straight up incredible.

I got my entire STEM notes from all my classes all on this thing and making connections to what was seemingly not related. Everything I study formally and advice from online is connected. They got CircuitJS and code snippets runners for plugins right now too so things like Leetcode are going to be pretty easy to connect problems together.

Combined with Concepts and Notability to make some drawings here and there, knowledge and relationships really scale up the more that's added.

Jumped into DataView for the first time a few weeks ago. It's great but I'm patiently waiting for the next release that includes tables so that I can really take things to the next level. I started using the dataloom plugin but it's not ideal for my workflow currently