NVIDIA's GeForce Now Streaming Service - Disruptive Innovation?

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
Brehs, I'm a layman but this shyt sounds like it can really disrupt the gaming industry; at least on the PC gaming side. :ohhh:

Listen to this:

NVIDIA proves the cloud can replace a high-end gaming rig

A year ago, NVIDIA's GeForce Now game-streaming service let me play The Witcher 3, a notoriously demanding PC-only title, on a MacBook Air. This year, NVIDIA finally unveiled the Windows version of the service, and it was even more impressive. I was able to play Rainbow Six: Siege and PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds on underpowered PCs that sell for $200 to $300. If NVIDIA's Mac demo was a revelation, playing high-end PC games on discount hardware felt like a miracle. Now, after testing the GeForce Now beta release on PCs for a week, I'm even more intrigued by the possibilities of game streaming.
To put it simply, the service lets you remotely tap into the power of an expensive gaming rig from any computer. It runs on remote servers powered by NVIDIA's GTX 1080Ti GPUs. While the company isn't divulging further specifications, you can bet they're also stuffed with more than enough RAM and CPU horsepower. (NVIDIA claimed they were the equivalent of a $1,500 gaming PC a year ago.) When you launch GeForce Now, you're actually watching a video streaming to your PC. But since there's very little latency between what you're seeing and your keyboard and mouse inputs, it feels as if the games are running right on your computer.

You don't need a very powerful PC to run the GeForce Now client. At the minimum, NVIDIA recommends using a 3.1GHz Core i3 processor and 4GB RAM, along with either Intel HD 2000, GeForce 600 series or Radeon HD 3000 graphics. Those are all specs you'll find in PCs four to six years old. But of course, solid internet access is a must. You'll need speeds of at least 25Mbps, but NVIDIA advises a 50Mbps connection for the best experience. You'll also have to make sure your computer has a reliable link to your router -- which means you'll either need to use an Ethernet cable or a 5GHz Wi-Fi network

This shyt sounds kind of crazy.:whoo:

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
sounds good but do we get all the benefits of gaming at max settings from their servers?
Apparently.

It seems that as long as you have a connection that is good enough to make the input lag negligible, you can pretty much make spending so much money on rigs.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
we have to put the blame on them ISPs for not giving us full bandwidth and overcharging us for slow as connection.
regardless you're streaming from a computer 100's of miles away. even shyt like the Steam Link, which works over your home network (preferably wired), has input lag issues

GreenGrass

All Star
Daps
regardless you're streaming from a computer 100's of miles away. even shyt like the Steam Link, which works over your home network (preferably wired), has input lag issues
well, if you are playing online play , then yeah latency will be an issue but i don't think you see much lag if you are playing single adventure mode.
This is great for people who don't have the hardware tech. hopefully, we will see more improvements to cloud gaming.
i'm jump on that 4k HDR gaming soon but hard ware pieces are hard to get especially GPU. it makes me think they are doing this on purpose.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
well, if you are playing online play , then yeah latency will be an issue but i don't think you see much lag if you are playing single adventure mode.
This is great for people who don't have the hardware tech. hopefully, we will see more improvements to cloud gaming.
i'm jump on that 4k HDR gaming soon but hard ware pieces are hard to get especially GPU. it makes me think they are doing this on purpose.
it'll work for some situations. it just has limitations vs native hardware

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Dudes with the shytty internet connections will weep:mjcry:

This is some innovative stuff though. Reminds me of OnLive which should have been the future of gaming, but gamers will never embrace the 21st century I guess:snoop:.

Probably will test it out to see how The Witcher 3 will do since I can just high/med my specs with the 1050 TI

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yea.

Do you believe PSNOW with a beast internet connection can produce high quality performance?:lupe:

Reading that article, it appears they are able to make the stream look high end.
I'm just saying, this type of thing will be more common in the future as internet speeds get better and more accessible.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Just realizing that I can skip the lag on my non-gaming desktop (GT 1030 :francis: ) and use the free tier of GFN for an hour of gaming at a time. Heck, I could even just play games on my Chromebook

All the free AAA game giveaways that I never got a chance to try are now back in play :banderas:

The one game I paid for is Disco Elysium
u5RlDl3.png

On a related note, it's hard AF keeping up with all the platforms available in 2023