Non actors and actresses in movies. What do y'all movie heads think about them and this process?

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
if the director actually finds a role that fits that person then it's fine
if not then please don't do it

yeah, i think it's cool when they can find someone who can do it but they should know right from the cutting floor if it's not going to work

if it works, it adds some level of authenticity to the role/film but if not, it just becomes a big mess.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Generally when its some singer or sports figure forced into a role its trash.

But sometimes directors use it to add authenticity to background characters like in the Wire for example. Lotta actual baltimore brehs were playing bit roles, and i actually had no problem with it in that case.

There are exceptions though, because some of these singers were triple threats growing up and went to drama schools, but i wouldn't really call them non-actors in that case, they just got on in one lane before getting on in the other. Tupac & Lady Gaga for example went to performing arts schools

Last edited:

BlackAchilles

Veteran
Daps
Generally when its some singer or sports figure forced into a role its trash.

But sometimes directors use it to add authenticity to background characters like in the Wire for example. Lotta actual baltimore brehs were playing bit roles, and i actually had no problem with it in that case.

There are exceptions though, because some of these singers were triple threats growing up and went to drama schools, but i wouldn't really call them non-actors in that case, they just got on in one lane before getting on in the other. Tupac & Lady Gaga for example went to performing arts schools

A lot of athletes try their hand at acting and and are terrible at it

On the other hand if its a sports setting thats being depicted I often like when they cast real athletes in these roles because it can feel more realistic

It's fake to the point of being distracting when they try to cast a bunch of small Hollywood guys as football or basketball players, or have some goofy doughboy that usually plays comic relief be a top nose tackle