No thread on the 20th anniversary of the release of one of the greatest CBMs of all time?

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!

Can you believe it's been 20 years since Spider-Man 2 swung into theaters on June 30th, 2004? This movie holds a special place in my heart and continues to be a classic in the superhero genre.

Alfred Molina's portrayal of Doctor Octopus was incredible. He brought a pleasingly complex performance that made Doc Ock one of the most memorable villains in comic book movie history. Molina added a level of gravitas to the film that is hard to forget. The special effects in Spider-Man 2 were truly groundbreaking, especially when it comes to Doc Ock's mechanical arms. The use of real props for many scenes added a sense of realism and weight to the character, making him all the more menacing on screen.

James Franco's portrayal of Harry Osborn often doesn't get the recognition it deserves. I thought it was great supporting performance and I feel like they kind of dropped the ball with him in the third film. In my opinion, Franco brought a sullener vulnerability to the character that added layers to the story and his interactions with Peter Parker.

The train fight sequence remains one of the most iconic moments in the film. Whenever I talk with people who remember seeing that film in theaters, that scene is always brought up. The intensity, action, and emotional weight of that scene showcases the high stakes and heroism of Spider-Man. It's fascinating to consider how this particular scene has had a lasting impact on the development and progression of action and superhero films

Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man suit in this film is one of my favorites. I'm not sure what they did, but the colors look drastically different from his suits in 1, 3, and NWH. Maguire's portrayal of Peter Parker brought a relatability to the role that resonated with audiences. Just when it appeared that Peter was on the brink of success, a stroke of misfortune would inevitably derail his progress. That's one of the few things I find relatable about Peter Parker.

spiderman2suit.jpg

And let's not forget about J.K. Simmons' portrayal of J. Jonah Jameson. Simmons' performance added a perfect blend of humor and authority to the film,and plus we got a meme out of it that still gets used to this very day. One of my favorite small scenes in the movie is where Jameson, after initially celebrating Spidey's retirement, begrudgingly admits that Spider-Man really is a hero, before realizing the suit that he bought off of a garbage man earlier has been retaken by Spider-Man, thus causing him to change his position on the character again.

I don't have a top 3 or top 5 or top 10 list, but I would definitely consider Spider-Man 2 to be one of the GOAT comic book films of all time and a standout in the genre along with the likes of Logan and The Dark Knight. I watch this movie at least 2 or 3 times at the very minimum which is more than what I can say for any of the other Spidey movies not named Into the Spider-Verse.

spiderman2-2.jpg

Spider-Man_2

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
I’ve always appreciated that Raimi Spider-Man series has consistently showcased a strong bond between the titular hero and the people of New York City. In the first film, the city's initial divided reaction to Spider-Man was largely influenced by Jameson's negative portrayal of him. However, by the end of the movie, they had come to appreciate his heroism. The second film saw continued support for Spidey when everyone on the train agrees to never tell anyone that they saw him without his mask, and even Aunt May's perspective on him shifted from skepticism to admiration. This progression continued into the third film, where the city celebrated Spider-Man and rallied around him during the final battle. Despite some bumps in the road, this Spider-Man was able to earn and maintain the trust of the people.