No Man's Sky (PC, Xbox One, Switch, PS4, PS VR2)

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
do you have the base game installed? or expansions??
All expansions are free on this.

I just got my first freighter and it came with a frigate, gotta start planning expeditions and growing my fleet so I can conquer the universe.

When I got to the second system I fukked around for about 10 or 15 hours just getting exosuit and multi tool upgrades. I don't really mine shyt amymore, I just buy it if I need it.

dontreadthis

philly.
Daps
All expansions are free on this.

I just got my first freighter and it came with a frigate, gotta start planning expeditions and growing my fleet so I can conquer the universe.

When I got to the second system I fukked around for about 10 or 15 hours just getting exosuit and multi tool upgrades. I don't really mine shyt amymore, I just buy it if I need it.
:mjpls:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Essentially you get enough salvage data to unlock the miner and storage blueprints. Have a ship capable of getting to a blue star, the hunt for an S Class Activated Indium deposit, then build groupings of 4 miners over the deposit. They can't be too close or the returns fall off exponentially, and don't connect the networks or it'll have the same effect. Build storage up vertically. If you have a max inventory hauler (any ship really), load it up over a few days, then take it to a system with a pickaxe symbol. Sell all the indium at the best percentage you can. Should net about 300 million on the low end, towards 400 million on the high. Numbers may be off, but after one go you should be able to finance anything other than maybe an A or S class freighter.

Activated deposits only appear on planets with storms. If you play long enough you'll learn that there are some grassy type planets that will have bubbles (they show an anomaly strength when landing and taking off) - those storms won't harm you. So if you hop until you find one of those and set up a mine there, even better. Also if the spot has a nearby power deposit even better. Doesn't need to be any higher than a C class, just put more generators. It takes some time to get up and running because of the metal plating. But at the minimum get the miners going and understand the spacing. Overall it's a "no duh" type of deal but you feel like a dummy for not doing it sooner if you've struggled for money.

Once you got a hundred million you can start farming ships for nanites and storage slots. Things to ease the grind.

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Essentially you get enough salvage data to unlock the miner and storage blueprints. Have a ship capable of getting to a blue star, the hunt for an S Class Activated Indium deposit, then build groupings of 4 miners over the deposit. They can't be too close or the returns fall off exponentially, and don't connect the networks or it'll have the same effect. Build storage up vertically. If you have a max inventory hauler (any ship really), load it up over a few days, then take it to a system with a pickaxe symbol. Sell all the indium at the best percentage you can. Should net about 300 million on the low end, towards 400 million on the high. Numbers may be off, but after one go you should be able to finance anything other than maybe an A or S class freighter.

Activated deposits only appear on planets with storms. If you play long enough you'll learn that there are some grassy type planets that will have bubbles (they show an anomaly strength when landing and taking off) - those storms won't harm you. So if you hop until you find one of those and set up a mine there, even better. Also if the spot has a nearby power deposit even better. Doesn't need to be any higher than a C class, just put more generators. It takes some time to get up and running because of the metal plating. But at the minimum get the miners going and understand the spacing. Overall it's a "no duh" type of deal but you feel like a dummy for not doing it sooner if you've struggled for money.

Once you got a hundred million you can start farming ships for nanites and storage slots. Things to ease the grind.
Help me out here. So NMS was a game I was hyped for way back when, when it first dropped and then I was immediately disappointed. It always felt aimless to me. Like nothing in the game actually mattered. And I continued to feel that way about it even after they released all these different updates. So I see what you just posted there. I'd love a reason to jump back into the game. Explain to me what the purpose of all that is that you just typed. And I'm not asking in a condescending way or anything. I'm legitimately asking.

So if you go and set up all that mining, the purpose of it is to get money. But what is the money for? To buy ships? What are the ships for? Is there some major war or something that you are gearing up for? Part of my problem when they introduced base building to the game was that it felt like you were just playing with legos. Like sure, I can build a base, but what purpose does it actually serve in the grand scheme of things in the game? If for instance there was some sort of alien evil that needed to be eradicated, but you needed to amass power first, and the way to do that was by building bases for some reason, as well as putting together a bunch of ships and making a fleet, that would make logical sense to me. But so far as I can tell, that isn't the case.

So if you have some insight, let me know because I truly would like to understand the game better. Right now to me, it looks like an amalgamation of cool ideas that they have pieced together and it would be better served if some other devs came along and made a real game out of what Hello Games has done. Almost like they built a game engine with all the assets in place and all someone would need to do is come along and make a coherent game out of it all.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Help me out here. So NMS was a game I was hyped for way back when, when it first dropped and then I was immediately disappointed. It always felt aimless to me. Like nothing in the game actually mattered. And I continued to feel that way about it even after they released all these different updates. So I see what you just posted there. I'd love a reason to jump back into the game. Explain to me what the purpose of all that is that you just typed. And I'm not asking in a condescending way or anything. I'm legitimately asking.

So if you go and set up all that mining, the purpose of it is to get money. But what is the money for? To buy ships? What are the ships for? Is there some major war or something that you are gearing up for? Part of my problem when they introduced base building to the game was that it felt like you were just playing with legos. Like sure, I can build a base, but what purpose does it actually serve in the grand scheme of things in the game? If for instance there was some sort of alien evil that needed to be eradicated, but you needed to amass power first, and the way to do that was by building bases for some reason, as well as putting together a bunch of ships and making a fleet, that would make logical sense to me. But so far as I can tell, that isn't the case.

So if you have some insight, let me know because I truly would like to understand the game better. Right now to me, it looks like an amalgamation of cool ideas that they have pieced together and it would be better served if some other devs came along and made a real game out of what Hello Games has done. Almost like they built a game engine with all the assets in place and all someone would need to do is come along and make a coherent game out of it all.
At the core, this game is simply about space exploration. Seeing what interesting shyt you can find from the procedural generation. You're right, it's an aimless game. After a while you have to make your own fun, set your own objectives. They did add in some "story" and side quests to help give some structure, but 90% of it is avoidable and arguably not necessary.

Originally when I typed that all out it was one of the better money making strategies. After this latest update, that's a wasted exercise :francis: . The money would have been to buy ships or materials to ease other aspects of the grind. But honestly that was easily solved with some Cheat Engine usage, and now you can loosen the gameplay rules as much as you want, money is only worth as much as you want it to be.

But you hit the nail on the head - No Man's Sky is a wide collection of ideas with shallow implementation and cohesion. There's no rhyme or reason to base building, ship collecting, exploration, any of it, outside of the initial wonder and whatever self motivation you find.

The reality is, given 15-20 good hours of gameplay, you've seen the bulk of what they can show you. Beyond that there's little reason to pick up the game other than to just zone the fukk out for a little while. There have been times where I load it up, ask myself what the fukk is there to do, then close it back out :yeshrug: . As far as a reason to get back into it, I don't know if I could find a good enough one for you. At best it would be play the main quest through, see some of the lore, try and build a few cool things, then put it down until they drop the next ocean wide puddle deep update :yeshrug:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
At the core, this game is simply about space exploration. Seeing what interesting shyt you can find from the procedural generation. You're right, it's an aimless game. After a while you have to make your own fun, set your own objectives. They did add in some "story" and side quests to help give some structure, but 90% of it is avoidable and arguably not necessary.

Originally when I typed that all out it was one of the better money making strategies. After this latest update, that's a wasted exercise :francis: . The money would have been to buy ships or materials to ease other aspects of the grind. But honestly that was easily solved with some Cheat Engine usage, and now you can loosen the gameplay rules as much as you want, money is only worth as much as you want it to be.

But you hit the nail on the head - No Man's Sky is a wide collection of ideas with shallow implementation and cohesion. There's no rhyme or reason to base building, ship collecting, exploration, any of it, outside of the initial wonder and whatever self motivation you find.

The reality is, given 15-20 good hours of gameplay, you've seen the bulk of what they can show you. Beyond that there's little reason to pick up the game other than to just zone the fukk out for a little while. There have been times where I load it up, ask myself what the fukk is there to do, then close it back out :yeshrug: . As far as a reason to get back into it, I don't know if I could find a good enough one for you. At best it would be play the main quest through, see some of the lore, try and build a few cool things, then put it down until they drop the next ocean wide puddle deep update :yeshrug:
Love this convo you are both having...

The funny thing is, there was an actual point to the story from day one, but the additions make it more useless. The point of the story is to get to the center of the universe. When you first start the game, the orb (i can't remember what it is) asks you a question. If you answer it correctly (it's been a long time, but look it up) it'll begin the story. From there, the entire game is you going planet to planet, getting materials to get to the next planet, and so on, until you have enough materials to get to the center.

But like my man said, what you REALLY want to do is skip that, and explore the endless space. The problem was, at launch, the game was empty and bland. So you didn't want to do the mission nor explore space, cause you'd see it all in about 10 jumps. Since then, they've added about 5 games worth of shyt to do while exploring space, but it's still just exploring space.

Think of it like Sims space. Yea you can do those little Sims missions, but really you just doing some life fukkery.. And every so often, they drop in more shyt to play with. Same thought process

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps

Ok. That's what I figured. I used to get really angry when I thought about the game. Mainly because the game is actually a good game. Or to rephrase that, it has a lot of good pieces. And it felt like they had all these good pieces and did nothing with it. Like if some kind of way UPS dropped off a bunch of Ferrari parts to your home and you had no way to put them all together. But now, I don't even think on the game. I posted that question to you just to see if I'd missed anything in my time away from it.

It sounds like they should develop some mod tools so modders can come in and make some other game with it. I don't really know how game engines work, but maybe they could even make an engine or something out of it, however that works and other devs could take that foundation and build on it. As for the game in it's current form, I give them props for sticking with it. Because boy did they drop the ball initially.

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps

Ok. That's what I figured. I used to get really angry when I thought about the game. Mainly because the game is actually a good game. Or to rephrase that, it has a lot of good pieces. And it felt like they had all these good pieces and did nothing with it. Like if some kind of way UPS dropped off a bunch of Ferrari parts to your home and you had no way to put them all together. But now, I don't even think on the game. I posted that question to you just to see if I'd missed anything in my time away from it.

It sounds like they should develop some mod tools so modders can come in and make some other game with it. I don't really know how game engines work, but maybe they could even make an engine or something out of it, however that works and other devs could take that foundation and build on it. As for the game in it's current form, I give them props for sticking with it. Because boy did they drop the ball initially.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Love this convo you are both having...

The funny thing is, there was an actual point to the story from day one, but the additions make it more useless. The point of the story is to get to the center of the universe. When you first start the game, the orb (i can't remember what it is) asks you a question. If you answer it correctly (it's been a long time, but look it up) it'll begin the story. From there, the entire game is you going planet to planet, getting materials to get to the next planet, and so on, until you have enough materials to get to the center.

But like my man said, what you REALLY want to do is skip that, and explore the endless space. The problem was, at launch, the game was empty and bland. So you didn't want to do the mission nor explore space, cause you'd see it all in about 10 jumps. Since then, they've added about 5 games worth of shyt to do while exploring space, but it's still just exploring space.

Think of it like Sims space. Yea you can do those little Sims missions, but really you just doing some life fukkery.. And every so often, they drop in more shyt to play with. Same thought process
It's a conversation that really needs to be had about this game. In the years since launch they've been able to put together a complete package that finally delivers on what they promised on the pre launch hype train. But many of the systems and ideas they've had have felt so incomplete. Freighters for example: they're cool to look at and it's fun to build the interior, but they serve little function beyond mobile storage. Companions are functionally useless (although the metal horses have some get up and go when you need to get around :ehh: ). Settlements add only a couple of hours of intrigue. Smuggling I haven't tried, but given what I know about the game, it's probably forgettable. The ideas they've had have been great. They just lack depth.

But that's not to say one can't find enjoyment in the game. I'm probably upwards of 5 or 600 hours at this point. Occasionally I'll find some shyt I'd never seen before. I like searching for earth like planets and plopping base computers down where there's a beautiful vista and then struggling to make a good looking base.

Their engine is self made as far as I know. It's probably not set up to support mods, couldn't imagine how much work that would be. Some gamers think shyt is as simple as changing the config.ini in their engine to say "enable_modding=true" :skip: . But an open modding platform could let people who have time and passion expand the systems or add their own. No Man's Sky is a case study in turning around a bad game. Too bad larger studies are more willing to cut their losses and abandon shyt than to actually fix broken or under developed games.