Nintendo Switch is under 1.5 million units away from besting PS2's U.S. sales

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I remember when Gamecube was third place, it felt like Sony shut the door on all these gaming companies and Nintendo was DOA. They bounced back with the Wii but then the Wii U dropped and that shyt was pure garbage and they looked dead again. Then they come with the Switch and now here we are 20 years after the PS2 era and Nintendo is back on top and they're gunning for the PS2 in terms of all time sales. Such a crazy turn of events. :wow:

They run the handheld industry. PSP was dope and a good alternate, but then Sony dropped the ball with Vita.

They were smart to create their own category basically with hybrid portable/console.

Their IPs guarantee them that they will always be relevant. :yeshrug:

PS2 had a good nearly 20 year run, but it's still the best selling console of all time. Not videogame system soon with Switch overtaking it, but all records are made to be broken.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Let me put you on game youngin...

Disc read error is why the PS2 sold as much as it did. Basically went undocumented at the time but the problem was worse than the Xbox 360 RROD

And Sony pocketed all the profits, got sued for it 6yrs later. Most people had to buy a second ps2 or go without. :sad:
Facts, I was working at GameStop at the time and we had to halt PS2 trade in's.

Then we they started taking them again, we had to test multiple disc 1st.

At one point you could trade them in at a reduced price of you let us know it was defective for credit instead of just getting turned away.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I remember when Gamecube was third place, it felt like Sony shut the door on all these gaming companies and Nintendo was DOA. They bounced back with the Wii but then the Wii U dropped and that shyt was pure garbage and they looked dead again. Then they come with the Switch and now here we are 20 years after the PS2 era and Nintendo is back on top and they're gunning for the PS2 in terms of all time sales. Such a crazy turn of events. :wow:
The cube couldn't secure 3rd party support even with a powerful system.:francis:

Nintendo was like bet and went back to doing what they do, fun factor and games 1st power and tech after that.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Switch has been a great success, but one thing people don’t talk about when analyzing switch success is that nintendo combined their home console market and their handheld market in one machine.

The numbers are impressive, but very much less impressive if you consider all the handheld buyers that have now purchased a switch.

Nintendo will have lots of other portable/handheld competition going forward. Will be interesting to see how switch 2 performs in this new climate.

I don’t think switch 2 is gonna be the guaranteed runway success people are anticipating.

So much stiffer competition including the OG switch will make the switch 2 a luxury/super fan item for a while.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
Let me put you on game youngin...

Disc read error is why the PS2 sold as much as it did. Basically went undocumented at the time but the problem was worse than the Xbox 360 RROD

And Sony pocketed all the profits, got sued for it 6yrs later. Most people had to buy a second ps2 or go without. :sad:
no sir.

sony ps2 sold so much cause it was the era of DVD and they had the cheapest dvd player out.

and on a tangeant.....sega wouldve been still in the console business if they waited for dvd instead of rushing out gd roms

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
no sir.

sony ps2 sold so much cause it was the era of DVD and they had the cheapest dvd player out.

and on a tangeant.....sega wouldve been still in the console business if they waited for dvd instead of rushing out gd roms
That's not why it reached the sales it did, what you just tried to pull is illogical. I understand that's a narrative that was used at the time, and made sense but that wasn't the case for the entire generation. Just at launch. Not only did DVDs players drop in price, there was an Xbox that did the same thing yet you never heard that narrative used for Xbox :ufdup:

Now back to what you tried to wish away. You didn't even acknowledge that DRE was a thing. Why they get sued worldwide for it? Since that is history you can't change. What impact did it have on total sales? If everyone was forced to get two then they really sold half the total they say and then thru nefarious practices doubled sales. And then you idiots want to celebrate the accomplishment :snoop:

I worked at funcoland at the time, Sony reps told me to my face they know about the problem and wasn't going to do shyt about it :yeshrug:
That's when I packed my shyt and been pro Xbox because they are more pro consumer.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
I told you that Nintendo runs this shyt.
Runs what? Nintendo is for the children. Everybody's kids have switches and then the few adults who try to act like it's more than a kids toy. Sure there's games to play but the reason it's what it is has nothing to do with heterosexual adult males. You get too excited and your name is likely on a restricted living list if you know what I mean. Ol mark cerny looking types

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
That's not why it reached the sales it did, what you just tried to pull is illogical. I understand that's a narrative that was used at the time, and made sense but that wasn't the case for the entire generation. Just at launch. Not only did DVDs players drop in price, there was an Xbox that did the same thing yet you never heard that narrative used for Xbox :ufdup:

Now back to what you tried to wish away. You didn't even acknowledge that DRE was a thing. Why they get sued worldwide for it? Since that is history you can't change. What impact did it have on total sales? If everyone was forced to get two then they really sold half the total they say and then thru nefarious practices doubled sales. And then you idiots want to celebrate the accomplishment :snoop:

I worked at funcoland at the time, Sony reps told me to my face they know about the problem and wasn't going to do shyt about it :yeshrug:
That's when I packed my shyt and been pro Xbox because they are more pro consumer.
you pulled this story straight out of your ass.

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I had one for about a week last year and sold it. Been contemplating about buying another one but I want to buy a PS5 Pro, a gaming PC, possibly get an iPhone and then get the Switch 2 next year so I might have to hold out.:jbhmm:

O³ (O cubed)

No more PAWGs, PLEASE??!!!??
Daps
Reppin
Hackney, London
Runs what? Nintendo is for the children. Everybody's kids have switches and then the few adults who try to act like it's more than a kids toy. Sure there's games to play but the reason it's what it is has nothing to do with heterosexual adult males. You get too excited and your name is likely on a restricted living list if you know what I mean. Ol mark cerny looking types
I'm not even gonna argue with you. But what you're implying about me is very sick.

I'll leave it at that.