Nintendo Q1 sales fall 4.7% to $2.3bn, Switch sales down 23%

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Looks like nintendo is also trending down post-covid lockdowns. They also released multiple games last quarter so the drop in hw/sw can’t be blamed on no games releasing. I wonder if they will thug it out or announce the switch successor sooner rather than later?

Nintendo suffered declines in the first quarter of its financial year, with net sales dropping almost 5% to $2.3 billion – due largely to a decrease in hardware sales.

3.43 million Switch units were sold to retail during the three months ended June 30, 2022. That's a year-on-year decline of 22.9%, which Nintendo attributed to "the effects of supply shortages in semiconductors and other components among other factors."
The decline is no surprise. Nintendo already saw a 26% year-on-year decline in the previous financial year, which it also attributed to the semiconductor shortage. Last week, it was reported that a major assembly, Hosiden Corp, is having issues securing components for the console.

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
I think they will thug it out for a bit. There's still life in the Switch and I haven't heard, or just haven't payed that much attention, of any solid leaks of a successor. So they'll whore it out for the next 3 years or so before announcing their next console. Whatever it is I hope it stays mobile.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I think they will thug it out for a bit. There's still life in the Switch and I haven't heard, or just haven't payed that much attention, of any solid leaks of a successor. So they'll whore it out for the next 3 years or so before announcing their next console. Whatever it is I hope it stays mobile.

3 years? No way.

I don’t think they make it to 2024 without announcing a successor. I wouldn’t be surprised if HW releasing next year tbh. The worst thing Nintendo can do is once again lose complete momentum before dropping their next console.

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
It's definitely to be expected cause the Switch peaked in 2020
Console sales pretty much all have a curve where they spike in like the 3rd or 4th year and then trend downward after
The only thing that could do to offset that is dropping the price but seems that's not such a lucrative option anymore for these companies going off last gen.
I think the successor will be out towards the end of next year. That would be over 6 years on the market which is pretty standard for a console gen. They might stick it out till early 2024 but that might be waiting a bit too long imo

ball15life

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The unknown
Discretionary spending has been down because of inflation :yeshrug:

I'm sure other companies are going through the same thing

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Switch is 5 yrs old at this point. I would expect the next one to be announced in a year or 2.