News websites that still block content behind a Pay-Wall so you can subscribe, is such an ancient business model

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
I'm googling an injury update for the NBA playoffs, clicking on websites and seeing a pay-wall

Literally asking for paid monthly subscriptions..... in 2024. Like are you f*cking kidding me :dead::deadrose::laff:

In this day and age, you are lucky people clicked that website. I can easily just search on Twitter for the content. Even exclusive interviews with celebrities aren't safe to block content with either. A site like Twitter or Youtube would have an independent content creator just relay the interview in audio form

Maybe the New York Times or the Wall Street Journal are the only newspapers that can still get away with this. MAYBE

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I mean what do you want them to do. Their business model is kind of finished. They used to sell ads not news.

Once these old journalistic institutions are gone so will be the professionals. Then you will be left with click bait and tabloids. We've already seen what skewed information does to stupid humans. It wasn't this bad when they just had papers. The internet opened up a world of shyt for idiots and simultaneously began the end of proper news. Which had editors picking content etc. It's a free for all

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
I mean what do you want them to do. Their business model is kind of finished. They used to sell ads not news.

Once these old journalistic institutions are gone so will be the professionals. Then you will be left with click bait and tabloids. We've already seen what skewed information does to stupid humans. It wasn't this bad when they just had papers. The internet opened up a world of shyt for idiots and simultaneously began the end of proper news. Which had editors picking content etc. It's a free for all
yep. we're seeing it in real time. i feel like modern civilization started with Gutenberg and the printing press, and ended with the widespread embrace of the internet by regular people. you can blame social media, but a lot of these news organizations and institutions dug their own graves anyway, be it through compromising their own ethics or just being plain old greedy. and after all, there's no reason real grassroots news organizations couldn't work... internet news has always been garbage. drudge report has been around forever. and i doubt AP and reuters are going anywhere... smaller papers though, for sure.

thankfully you can bypass around 40% of most news sites just by disabling javascript. especially local news sites, theyre usually thrown together with the same templates if you look closely.

one thing that freaked me out was there's a great add-on called bypass-paywalls-clean that maintains a list of site and ways to override them. they were hosted on gitlab until some shady organizations (probably newspaper owners) started mass spamming his account's hosts with DMCA takedowns. he's been kicked off of the mozilla firefox add-ons store as well. i dont use chrome anymore, and you shouldn't either. but thats another topic.

anyways, if you still want to use his plugin, he publishes the .xpi file on twitter and github semi-regularly. it still works on about 98% of sites.

i use 3.6.9.0-custom version personally for firefox. make sure you go through ALL the options and import the json from gitlab/enable Custom checkboxes (dont forget the opt-in page) (click the Import from Online button at the bottom of the Custom page) and click Save on each page!
the economist does this as well it's fukking annoying
12ft.io to

But 12ft won’t work for NYTIMES.
both sites above work with bypass-paywalls-clean above :blessed: :salute:

ReturnOfJudah

Veteran
Daps
Only time that shyt is worth paying is when you are looking up historical news articles. My uncles use to claim they ran the city back in the gap. So i ran a search on their ass and them nikkas was putting up numbers in b ball and football lol