New ‘Not Like Us’ video reference revealed. “say Drake, I heard you like em young - Cellblock One” prison scene | Kendrick Lamar easter egg (🧵)

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
Directors referencing art, photos etc is pretty common. Not just in music vids, that's common in film too. Including from great directors (Kubrick did it quite often).

People dismissing the connection tells me it's more about fatigue/disinterest and the over reliance on "content" over art. Just looking at the specific type of speakers in those pictures, as well as the portraits facing the wall, tells me everything I need to know. And given that the video also references LaToya Ruby Frazier's work later in the video (the black and white scene in Kendrick's grandmother's living room), I think it's safe to say it was intentional. Dave Free cares about his craft...I see nothing wrong with acknowledging it. There are certainly aspects of his style/aesthetic that I'm not a fan of but I respect him as an artist.
Quentin Tarantino famously and unapologetically does it.

MINT

All Star
Daps
It's confirmed real.
Laughed at those saying it was a a reach or just a coincidence....kendrick's art as always been multi layered like HHDX just said...the fract it happens every single time he drops (but never with any other artist?) just proves it's not a coincidence lol

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Dave Free directed this.
And yes this is some weird Easter egg.

Makes me wonder what else is in here.