Nets to retire Vince Carter Jersey #

young yeesh

All Star
Daps
Super random, I ain’t a New Jersey fan but I don’t see what strong impact he had with that franchise

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Carter is third in franchise history in points and is in the Nets' top 10 in numerous other categories.

When you put it that way :manny:

I mean when someone says Vince Carter I don't think 'Nets great'.... but if he's got the pedigree why not?

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The standards for retiring jerseys has always been crazy to me
There is no “standard” though, it’s each team’s individual decision, and usually a decision made by the ownership group anyway. Perhaps having Vince on the squad put extra money in their pockets at the time and that’s why they’re doing this. Could be he’s just extremely likable and had great relationships and they’re rewarding him for that. Could be that he’s going into the Hall so they’re trying to piggyback off of that. They may feel it’s legitimate. Could be for any reason.

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
He may have done a lot of work in the community that went unnoticed. He strikes me as a humble giver.

Over a decade ago, the suburb of Harvey, Il, just outside of Chicago, named a street after Barry Bonds because he made a lot of contributions to underprivileged kids there while playing.....a place he has absolutely no roots with.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
There is no “standard” though, it’s each team’s individual decision, and usually a decision made by the ownership group anyway. Perhaps having Vince on the squad put extra money in their pockets at the time and that’s why they’re doing this. Could be he’s just extremely likable and had great relationships and they’re rewarding him for that. Could be that he’s going into the Hall so they’re trying to piggyback off of that. They may feel it’s legitimate. Could be for any reason.
the current owners of the Nets were not the owners of the Nets when Vince played. That was like 2 or 3 ownership groups ago, lol.