Netflix snuck a new classic out: Squid Game

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
I watched AIB and its definitely good but Squid just hits different. More emotion and some crazy visuals and characters. The Frontman even had a little bit Darth Vader-ish like mystique about him. More fukkery and the overall theme of people in deep debt and extremely desperate in this pandemic era struck a cord with a lot of folks. AIB didn't even have the water cooler talk and memes to back and hype it up so it was basically one of Netflix's better offerings no doubt but it was soon forgotten. Squid is sticking around for alot longer. Just my opinion

:patrice: Decider held a twitter poll.

Right now AiB dominating.

OVER

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GA
I was thoroughly entertained. I kind of assumed the old man was a ringer with his number 1 I thought he might've competed multiple times and was playing up his forgetfulness and not telling them his name made him more suspect. It was obvious he was the boss when you saw the boss after he died and he had old hands, I liked the final game between the two but I probably would've liked it more had he revealed himself before the finals. I question how far were things going to go for the old man like they were supposed to lose the tug of war so had they would they have stopped the competition early or just not cut the rope? I mean he should've been shot after losing the marble game if that were the case and how was the game about fairness with him sharing his expertise in the games and throwing the marble game to the protagonist?

I didn't know what to make of the organ harvesting ring. I don't know if I missed it but they all just knew each other and the doctor was like a mob doctor for them and they all got hired or coincidently got hired and the doctor was also selected as contestant? Or they somehow made that happen? Were they just workers in the game and selected him because he was a doctor?

The twist with the cop brother I kind of guessed that one too. I was wondering why he didn't shoot him and steal his costume then it became more clear when it was shown his bro competed and won in 2016 and him telling the henchmen to bring him alive after seeing his face.

I agree that the VIP's were a narrative mistake. They were so gross and unpleasant I assumed they were bought in to die horrible deaths. I'd have preferred that if they did that. If the old man intended to take the game to the grave with him and clipped them. It would've hit harder had he and the protagonist believed this only for Black Mask to be starting it up again.

I felt the most for Ali because he did have a good heart I just don't know how he didn't see it coming. Why he thought the friend with the glasses was a good dude when he was bringing up the favors he did for him and how he got a plan for both of them to win right when he is about to lose his last marble. I also don't know how all the other contestants let that gangster run wild on them, I know most people are timid but for the illusion of civility you would've hoped they as a community would've figured let's all kill him so he doesn't kill us.

The protagonists was alright, I wasn't that mad at the ending with him but I did think him getting that crazy hair do meant he was going to become the new host of the games, it's probably better for that not to happen. If they make another season I'd be fine with them cutting him. He annoyed me most for clinging to the old man and being too sentimental towards the others but I guess that did pay off. He should've took his ex-wife's husband's money so he could've put his mom up before doing the game.

The games themselves it was between the tug of war and glass bridge, probably the glass bridge were the scariest. I was planting my feet during those scenes.

Last edited:

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Great series that materialized out of nowhere. No complaints about the ending. The protagonist was mentally and spiritually defeated. He lost everyone he'd built a lifelong relationship with and had a life or death duel with his childhood friend. You can't witness hundreds of deaths in a short period of time without severe PTSD.

Legitimately something like this could be going on in North Korea and no one would ever know it. Ali got finessed harder than anything I've ever seen, sheesh.

Exactly. He won all that money but he was willing to give it all up (I would too honestly) to save his boy but instead had to watch him die, watched him turned into a monster and saw countless people get murdered brutally. And after all that the money didn’t even matter because his poor mom who had to work to the bone everyday couldn’t even enjoy it and died alone without him thinking he was still a fukkup who abandoned her. That was hard to watch :mjcry:

Daps
:francis: shyt was kinda wack. NGL. I get the craze behind the concept, the game and all. But everything else about it, the characters, dialogue, etc was kinda meh. None of these characters were likable. And don’t even get me started on the nonsensical ending.