Netflix snuck a new classic out: Squid Game

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
I don't think it's possible to be as crazy as the crazy lady in English

For real! Most of my friends watched this shyt dubbed and I could only :hhh: at them. I told one of my homegirls the acting was better in Korean and she was like, “it’s the same acting :dwillhuh:”. I had to explain to her that voices that come from actual physical acting will never be matched by a dub. Plus some stuff doesn’t translate.

But I get it, folks don’t want to do all that reading

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
yeah me too. I’m not sure why this blew and AIB didn’t. The word of mouth on this show is CRAZY.

I think because Bridgerton took all the attention from AiB and Netflix pushed it instead? I thought for sure Squid Game was going to get the same treatment because it came out with a couple of Netflix's heavy hitters but it still made number 1 anyway :dwillhuh:

AiB still got it's stans though because it's one of the fastest I've seen Netflix renew a show.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Nope, i preferred Alice in Borderland also. Weird that this is the first death game show to blow up

yeah me too. I’m not sure why this blew and AIB didn’t. The word of mouth on this show is CRAZY.
I watched AIB and its definitely good but Squid just hits different. More emotion and some crazy visuals and characters. The Frontman even had a little bit Darth Vader-ish like mystique about him. More fukkery and the overall theme of people in deep debt and extremely desperate in this pandemic era struck a cord with a lot of folks. AIB didn't even have the water cooler talk and memes to back and hype it up so it was basically one of Netflix's better offerings no doubt but it was soon forgotten. Squid is sticking around for alot longer. Just my opinion

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps
Just been thinking why homie dye his head red? Also the fool was going to re-challenge them when the show established that his a dumb motherfukker. Let’s be honest he survived in part due to a lot of people. The only game he did well in was the squid game and that’s just because of who his opponent was. Imagine him facing that gangster in the squid game.:sadcam:

Daps
At first I thought, "this not that bad as long as you follow the rules :patrice:"

Then they start fukking with people with these unfair ass games. Why'd they cut the lights on the glass dude when he figured it out? Then they explode all the glass to cause injuries going into the next game :dead:

They wanted only 2 ppl going into the Squid Game.

Mr Clean

Superstar
Daps
I watched AIB and its definitely good but Squid just hits different. More emotion and some crazy visuals and characters. The Frontman even had a little bit Darth Vader-ish like mystique about him. More fukkery and the overall theme of people in deep debt and extremely desperate in this pandemic era struck a cord with a lot of folks. AIB didn't even have the water cooler talk and memes to back and hype it up so it was basically one of Netflix's better offerings no doubt but it was soon forgotten. Squid is sticking around for alot longer. Just my opinion

Squid Game has characters that are very relatable despite the culture divide. AiB characters felt over the top anime based on its soruce material. Everbody knows a Gi-Hun or his cut throat friend. That lady was like an old ass chickenhead. What ties them together is all of them being broke which struck a cord like you said. The scheming and stategies in Squid Game make a lot of sense. Compared to the AiB dudes are not relatable to most grown folk. The main character is a pro gamer lol. He got a bytch ass friend and a cool friend. All of them feel like anime tropes. AiB has some great ideas but man those characters are trash. It's naturally gonna have a more limited audience in terms of crossover potential because of that.

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Squid Game has characters that are very relatable despite the culture divide. AiB characters felt over the top anime based on its soruce material. Everbody knows a Gi-Hun or his cut throat friend. That lady was like an old ass chickenhead. What ties them together is all of them being broke which struck a cord like you said. The scheming and stategies in Squid Game make a lot of sense. Compared to the AiB dudes are not relatable to most grown folk. The main character is a pro gamer lol. He got a bytch ass friend and a cool friend. All of them feel like anime tropes. AiB has some great ideas but man those characters are trash. It's naturally gonna have a more limited audience in terms of crossover potential because of that.

All facts
AIB seemed like your typical anime made into a show, whereas the only anime that even comes close to Squid Game is Kaji which focused on the same shyt (bunch of losers in big debt, doing life or death gamble risk challenges) It basically hit the sweet spot of a dope niche.

Plus SQ whole story just seems more believable and relatable. AIB ended with viewers not really knowing much more about what's going on. SQ opened up its world to you.