Netflix has Robotech :wow:

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
:mjcry:

Damn that feeling of nostalgia seeing it when I was surfing. You youngbloods probably don't know, but robotech basically started the whole anime craze in the US. When everybody was watching smurfs and thundercats, this crazy show comes on out of nowhere with an adult storyline and people getting killed and shyt. The goat battle scenes, the soundtrack, everything

It's old and dated now, but damn i can watch the whole series end to end. I'm starting to dig this Netflix thing

Geek Nasty

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
The fact that its Robotech and not Macross is a fukking tragedy.
Never heard anyone at the time say the original Macross version was better. Everyone I ever spoke to on it said the English rewrite (whole different background) added a better backstory including tying in the 2 other series to make it an epic.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Never heard anyone at the time say the original Macross version was better. Everyone I ever spoke to on it said the English rewrite (whole different background) added a better backstory including tying in the 2 other series to make it an epic.
People either didn't know what the fukk they were talking about or lied to you.

The story is hacked to hell, scenes are cut to the point of not making sense, and the people who 'own' Robotech are the reason why that property hasn't been able to be used with any significance outside of Japan for the past 20 years. Harmony Gold, the group that holds the rights through some weird licensing hack job, has held a hardline stance of "Either we have everything or we'll fukk everything".

"In the mid 1980s, Harmony Gold hired Carl Macek to adapt Japanese animated programming for American broadcast release. Macek originally wanted to adapt The Super Dimension Fortress Macross, but was instead forced to combine three different anime series together, which became Robotech:

1. The Super Dimension Fortress Macross
  2. Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross
  3. Genesis Climber MOSPEADA
Harmony Gold's cited reasoning for combining these unrelated series was its decision to market Macross for American weekday syndication television, which required a minimum of 65 episodes at the time (thirteen weeks at five episodes per week). Macross and the two other series each had fewer episodes than required, since they originally aired in Japan as weekly series. The production was successful enough to merit a movie and a spin-off, Robotech II: The Sentinels. Due to unforeseen economic circumstances, production was cancelled."

Robotech is literally bullshyt my man.

Now you know.

Geek Nasty

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
People either didn't know what the fukk they were talking about or lied to you.

The story is hacked to hell, scenes are cut to the point of not making sense, and the people who 'own' Robotech are the reason why that property hasn't been able to be used with any significance outside of Japan for the past 20 years. Harmony Gold, the group that holds the rights through some weird licensing hack job, has held a hardline stance of "Either we have everything or we'll fukk everything".

"In the mid 1980s, Harmony Gold hired Carl Macek to adapt Japanese animated programming for American broadcast release. Macek originally wanted to adapt The Super Dimension Fortress Macross, but was instead forced to combine three different anime series together, which became Robotech:

1. The Super Dimension Fortress Macross
  2. Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross
  3. Genesis Climber MOSPEADA
Harmony Gold's cited reasoning for combining these unrelated series was its decision to market Macross for American weekday syndication television, which required a minimum of 65 episodes at the time (thirteen weeks at five episodes per week). Macross and the two other series each had fewer episodes than required, since they originally aired in Japan as weekly series. The production was successful enough to merit a movie and a spin-off, Robotech II: The Sentinels. Due to unforeseen economic circumstances, production was cancelled."

Robotech is literally bullshyt my man.

Now you know.
I was a robotech fanboy back in the day. I know the original 3 series. I know the 65 episode contract issue. You just saw me reference the 2 other series, so no clue why you would throw them in the thread like youre informing me of something. Do you understand that all the editing that Macek did was to support the different background story that Robotech had from Macross? That's why the edited out the 2 suns from the Southern Cross series. if you watch Robotech and whine about how there are inconsistencies with Macross, tath's because the background story is DIFFERENT.

If you want to bytch about Harmony Gold getting a sweet licensing deal, that's another thread.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I was a robotech fanboy back in the day. I know the original 3 series. I know the 65 episode contract issue. You just saw me reference the 2 other series, so no clue why you would throw them in the thread like youre informing me of something. Do you understand that all the editing that Macek did was to support the different background story that Robotech had from Macross? That's why the edited out the 2 suns from the Southern Cross series. if you watch Robotech and whine about how there are inconsistencies with Macross, tath's because the background story is DIFFERENT.

If you want to bytch about Harmony Gold getting a sweet licensing deal, that's another thread.
breh you sound ridiculous :dead:

if someone slapped the john wick in the matrix and ended it with the finale from speed, why would you call that a organic product?

robotech is a frankenstein'd abomination born from studio and licensing bullshyt. "better backstory" no. its a mess.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
:mjcry:

Damn that feeling of nostalgia seeing it when I was surfing. You youngbloods probably don't know, but robotech basically started the whole anime craze in the US. When everybody was watching smurfs and thundercats, this crazy show comes on out of nowhere with an adult storyline and people getting killed and shyt. The goat battle scenes, the soundtrack, everything

It's old and dated now, but damn i can watch the whole series end to end. I'm starting to dig this Netflix thing

Fox only showed it here at like 5 am, and even then on certain days.

I only vaguely remember it.

I DO remember Rick and Lisa kissing in front of the Zentradi and them being like ":gucci::what::whoa::damn::lupe:"

I also remember Roy Fokker>>>Rick Hunter...... but I don't remember Roy Fokker? :jbhmm:

Geek Nasty

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
Fox only showed it here at like 5 am, and even then on certain days.

I only vaguely remember it.

I DO remember Rick and Lisa kissing in front of the Zentradi and them being like ":gucci::what::whoa::damn::lupe:"

I also remember Roy Fokker>>>Rick Hunter...... but I don't remember Roy Fokker? :jbhmm:

Yeah that was one of the unique things about the Macross saga. The main character wasn't the best pilot.

latest

:mjpls:

Roy_Fokker_4_large.jpg