Need some questions answered for my lil cousin

CarbonBraddock

You will be trolled
Daps
My cousin is wanting to start weightlifting and wanted some questions answered. Rather than send him to bodybuilding.com, i asked here first. He is about 6 feet tall and weighs 120 lbs. He wants to get to about 190 lbs. He has read something about 'noob gains' and doesn't know how much he can expect this to be since he is underweight. Like apparently, you get gains faster at the beginning of weightlifting and those are noob gains. But he feels like his will be bigger bc he is not at the weight level he is supposed to be at. Does anyone here know about this shyt and also about how long does it take to get about 70 lbs of relatively lean muscle mass? I am bigger than his goal weight but i was never that small to begin with, so i can't answer his questions.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
If he is underweight he mite be able to put that mass on pretty quickly

He has to get everything lined up and dialed in though. 1lb a week and hes gotta make gains every week. Get his routine right off the rip too. It could work. Main thing will be for him not to get fat.

CarbonBraddock

You will be trolled
Daps
If he is underweight he mite be able to put that mass on pretty quickly

He has to get everything lined up and dialed in though. 1lb a week and hes gotta make gains every week. Get his routine right off the rip too. It could work. Main thing will be for him not to get fat.

he is naturally thin obviously, but also has muscle definition, like there is no visible fat on him. he isn't 'skinny-fat.' so i don't know if he has good genetics or it's just because he doesn't eat enough. He does have a smaller waist then his shoulders for what that's worth. have you heard of someone putting on over 50 lbs in a year and still being relatively lean.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
he is naturally thin obviously, but also has muscle definition, like there is no visible fat on him. he isn't 'skinny-fat.' so i don't know if he has good genetics or it's just because he doesn't eat enough. He does have a smaller waist then his shoulders for what that's worth. have you heard of someone putting on over 50 lbs in a year and still being relatively lean.

Hell no.... but I feel like it is doable lol. Problem is he is a newbie and he will need expert level knowledge to pull that shyt off. Theres also the problem of his joints... even if he makes those muscle gains his joints won't be able to keep up. So he mite have to break it up into chunks

Its an interesting experiment though... dude is basically a blank slate

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
This doesn't answer your question, but go SLOW and teach him FORM before anything else. If he tries to move too much weight before he has a foundation for it, he'll take a detour thru Snap City on his way to Swole Beach.

CarbonBraddock

You will be trolled
Daps
120-190 all muscle?

Gonna take YEARS,but good genetics help and if he's willing to bulk and cut that'll speed up the process as well.

well someone on the misc told him that his 'normal' weight for being that height is at least 140, so he thinks that the noob gains will take him to there since he's underweight to begin with and then he can get like 30 lbs in a year after that. i don't know about any of that type of shyt though.

edit: not all muscle but mostly lean, like 10 percent bf or whatever you would consider lean. he says he wants to be 'lean.'

Daps
well someone on the misc told him that his 'normal' weight for being that height is at least 140, so he thinks that the noob gains will take him to there since he's underweight to begin with and then he can get like 30 lbs in a year after that. i don't know about any of that type of shyt though.

edit: not all muscle but mostly lean, like 10 percent bf or whatever you would consider lean. he says he wants to be 'lean.'

Still gonna take some years bruh,tell him dedication and consistency is key

DonKnock

KPJ Gonna Save Us
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I made a similar journey, I was really underweight after a long layoff after track in college.

Doing everything right he could probably get 25lbs of lean muscle added on in a year.

There is science that this is near the genetic limit.

Anything past 25lbs will largely be fat gains.:manny:

MF budz

All Star
Daps
More like 2-3 years and that's still with optimal nutrition and dedication.

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
if he is under 23/24, the sky is the limit for the amount of muscle he can put on.

His problem is going to be eating enough...because if he's 120lbs, he is obviously not a big eater.

Squats, Deadlifts, Bench, Press...all lifts that gain mass

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
if he is under 23/24, the sky is the limit for the amount of muscle he can put on.

His problem is going to be eating enough...because if he's 120lbs, he is obviously not a big eater.

Squats, Deadlifts, Bench, Press...all lifts that gain mass
Yea Im really thinking he can do a lot. @HHR makes a good point though, it will probably take him a year just to get comfortable with the lifts and a lot of the gains he makes off the rip should be just getting from a safe learner's weight to actual workload. So yea prob 2-4 years is realistic but he can see crazy crazy crazy gains in that time if he has his shyt dialed in.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
A lot of it will be denote sent on his age. If he is still growing he could make a crazy leap.

That said its a long process. I think we all have had periods where we thought we were doing something big in the gym and you look back and realize you could have been doing more or better.

Just caution him to not want to get there overnight.

Pitfalls0117

Invokana Trump
Daps
Reppin
NJ->BOS->DC
I was 6'1 135 senior year of high school, I'm closer to 170 now (4 years later, but I was like 145 two years ago)

Just teach him good form, get him started on a solid 4-5 day/week plan, and tell him to eat up. Until he's like 150 I would say don't worry too much about diet. When I was a runty little kid the doctor actually prescribed me whole milk and ice cream before bed :wow: