NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
That’s fair, my question would be how many people have access to both? I for instance have TNT & Max, so if we’re adding those with TNT to Max subscribers, how many households are being counted twice?

Hard to say, I'm sure there's some overlap but TNT alone is available in 70 million homes in the U.S. and that doesn't account for their overseas coverage (I'm not sure if they were airing games on their overseas networks or not)

And then Max is available in over 100 million homes worldwide and they are debuting it in more countries next year... So the reach is there when you combine both. I don't buy the idea that reach was the driving force.

I think Chuck is right about "getting in the door" with Amazon being their primary focus because they want someone who will continue to overpay

thelonious21

I like my women tall
Daps
Reppin
Da Hood
This is the equivalent to your bytch saying when you goin ask me to marry you over the past like 5 years..

Yall break up or have a bad argument and think ehh. She goin come back..

Next thing u knw there's some next nikka..

Why wait? If you're TNT just be like damn.. aiight.. and pay the fukk up..

Acting like any network is worth more than sports is insane

And when they realized they were fukked they tried to match.. Nah heaux.. we out

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Silver probably doesn't even want Chuck on TV/Streaming going forward if he's going to keep saying shyt like this

I honestly do not understand this attachment people have to TNT. The network has had like 4 different owners during this era...the show is not that special, and it's incredibly replaceable. If you don't believe me, COLLEGE GAMEDAY is as much of an institution to any sport as any show ever has been...it has been an asset to the game

Fox big noon kickoff came and is standing on its corner.

These shows are not irreplaceable, nor are these networks. Chuck needs to retire or start getting ready to cash an NBC universal check

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I honestly do not understand this attachment people have to TNT. The network has had like 4 different owners during this era...the show is not that special, and it's incredibly replaceable. If you don't believe me, COLLEGE GAMEDAY is as much of an institution to any sport as any show ever has been...it has been an asset to the game

These shows are not irreplaceable, nor are these networks. Chuck needs to retire or start getting ready to cash an NBC universal check

I can understand the attachment from the standpoint of there’s a whole generation of NBA fans that have never known an NBA that didn’t have games on TNT with Inside the NBA, similar to how there’s people who 20 years later still couldn’t let go of NBA on NBC

But in the grand scheme, the league will be fine.

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
Charles giving it all up on Dan Patrick right now :pachaha:
Pretty much confirmed he not really retiring
He’s already been speaking to all 3 networks and has a year to think about it.
They all knew it was over for TNT over 5 months ago and all the PR from Turner was just empty talk.
He’s in the 3rd year of a 10 year contract for $210M:wtf:
Turner has to the end of next season to ask him to take a pay cut or guarantee the rest of it. He’s says he’s not taking a pay cut so he will probably be a free agent.
Sounds like he’s willing to work without Ernie, Shaq, Kenny.
Dan says he could get $30M a year and Chuck says of course he will listen.

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
More fans don't have access to Amazon, really. Because WBD was going to simulcast the games on Max and TNT. In total, that is very close to the supposed 200 million subscribers worldwide that Amazon has.

NBA just wants it to be streaming only and Chuck makes a good point. Everyone in media knows that this is a wild overpay for all parties involved, advertising dollars have fallen... meaning that by year 5 or 6 or 7 the reality is they will likely be losing money on these deals.

Amazon doesn't care because it's more about their ecosystem than advertising dollars. ESPN on the other hand is just going to go further into debt...

At the end of the day, it will likely be Amazon, Apple and Netflix who are controlling most of the market.
Amazon is cheaper than cable lol

Its ways legally to get amazon for free or discounted. Or pay 140 for the year

While u had to pay 50-100 bucks a month for tnt :mjlol:

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
I will miss inside the nba if it doesn't come back.
I've always been of the opinion. that the journalistic approach to recreational sports is stupid.
It's a game. You're making a show about a game. Therefore you are making game shows.
Hence the reason the popular hosts win Emmy's instead of Pulitzer Prizes.

But that said if this ends up making the games more accessible i'm willing to live with it. Main reason i don't watch as many game as i want, is because i don't have cable and they often make you jump through hoops to get app access to games. Like i can't access league pass without a subscription to some other service i don't plan on using.
Don't know if you have kids(or play video games yourself), but the last few years NBA 2K has bundled a year of league pass with the deluxe edition of the game. I've purchased the game for my son and taken the league pass sub for myself, win/win

thelonious21

I like my women tall
Daps
Reppin
Da Hood
Good....TNT had its chance and tried to play too cool for school about the rights to the league...

NBA simply said alright bruh and went to a partner that was legitimately interested in getting a deal done

Also Barkley and them other fools were terrible ambassadors for the game.......let them fools go complain bout something else
That's the other part about it..

Yea its funny to us "who he play for" and Shaq and Barkley banter..

But as the NBA you gotta be like :stopitslime: every time they shyt on the product. Calling the games boring or shyt like that..

After a while it gets corny.. we all had times watching "Inside" and we either can't hear/ understand Shaq monotone ass or hearing Barkley repeat the same talking point 5 times in a rant.. Sometimes it legit seemed like they didn't watch the NBA at all outside of the game they're broadcasting.

And as the NBA that's a no no for my product.

charknicks

All Star
Daps
So the most surprising thing to me is the NBC 'regional' game on Tuesday nights.

NBC will have 2 games, but East/Central will have one, and Mountain/Pacific will have the other. Not a national game.

So if we have a Tuesday with Knicks/Celtics, and Nuggets/Lakers, the eastern half will get Knicks/Celtics at 8east/7cent, but that game wont be on in the mountain and pacific. Then, the Nuggets/Lakers will be at 8pac/9mount/11east, but it wont be on in the eastern half of the country (the local NBC channel can decide to show it, but will probably opt for news/Late night show instead). I assume you can still watch the game not in your area on Peacock

Looks like alot of good, important games will be missed on Tuesdays.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

I mean the longevity of the show is unprecedented. They've had award winning coverage time after time. Ernie has been doing it since 1989. There are people who have worked at Turner for the last 2-3 decades. Charles is sticking up for them. That's what it is about.

Hundreds of jobs are gone this time next year.