NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
He tried. NBC refused to break up their package so a 4th package could be made
I think that's what will happen

Hopefully
The playoffs is the prize. TNT used to do a promo of “40 games in 40 nights” when the postseason started.

Even if you take half of the games airing on NBA TV and put those on TNT, they’ll still not have the postseason inventory since NBC is now taking a lot of it.

:smh: Zaslav

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
I don't get it.

How will letting the NBA go help out their Financials?

Even if it costs a lot, wouldn't they make back the money through ads?

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I don't get it.

How will letting the NBA go help out their Financials?

Even if it costs a lot, wouldn't they make back the money through ads?

Maybe? I don't think anyone has the answer for this. Yes, as a network you almost have no choice but to go after live sports but at these prices and the way cable is being phased out, there will be a time where these deals end up sinking someone financially...

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Maybe? I don't think anyone has the answer for this. Yes, as a network you almost have no choice but to go after live sports but at these prices and the way cable is being phased out, there will be a time where these deals end up sinking someone financially...

CABLE SUPPOSEDLY PHASING OUT
IS IRRELEVANT BECAUSE
THEYRE SHOWING THESE GAMES
ON THEIR MAX APP AND
ARE TRYING TO DO A JOINT
SPORTS APP WITH ESPN/FOX

:devil:
:evil:

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM

What do they mean by "pay tv households" in regards to Fox and CBS NFL rights. NFL games air OTA on those networks, not on "pay tv".

And I don't think the NFL is dumb enough to remove their product from OTA networks the way the NBA did.

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
What do they mean by "pay tv households" in regards to Fox and CBS NFL rights. NFL games air OTA on those networks, not on "pay tv".

And I don't think the NFL is dumb enough to remove their product from OTA networks the way the NBA did.

Basically anybody with a cable and/or satellite subscription. The OTA channels are affected by cord cutting don’t get it twisted. Sure, you can get a digital antenna to get those channels, but that doesn’t seem to be a popular option. Basically his point, FOX and Paramount are gonna be tough spot unless they are bought by a big conglomerate.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
The "Plain English" Podcast is interesting but the dude from Puck News confirmed on it that nobody seems to know how the matching rights work and it's for the lawyers to figure out.

WBD basically said to the NBA "go sign your deals and we'll figure out if we can match them"

So that's that.. Once NBA and ESPN/Comcast/Amazon put pen to paper we will find out soon after what WBD plans to do