Natural haired ladies, come in here, please!

Lithe

All Star
Daps
Fellow natural here, just curious as to how often y'all have your ends trimmed?

Do you trim them yourselves, or go to a stylist?

Do you have a style you wear to trim? For example, keep it curly, flat iron, trim in twists?

How often do you trim, and how much? How do you know when it's time to trim?

How do you normally wear your hair?

I've been trimming every 3 months except last year, I had went a year between trims. I see a stylist who is a close friend of mine, and I trust her. Only two other women in my 28 years of life have taken scissors to my head, and one was my mother.

I flat iron my hair for my trims, but she has done just a dusting of my ends on a blowout. I normally wear my hair in twist outs or braid outs, because I have different curl patterns and my hair has layers, so it's a more uniform style for me. I know it's time to trim when the ends don't hold neatly together. My ends also seem to thin out and my hair is very thick, so I'm not a fan of the see through ends! She normally only takes 1/4-1/2 an inch, but since I went over a year without a trim at my last trim (late October), she cut 1 1/4 inches and I was very pleased. I love blunt ends!

I have my hair straight right now and I'm itching to get my curls back! When it's warmer, I love to wear wash and go styles. I am working on getting my hair back to bra strap length where it was when I was a little girl. I definitely still have the same thickness I always had. I love my natural hair and all its versatility, I just have to learn more about it so I'm properly caring for it and can retain more length! Not only that, but also making sure I'm nourishing my body from the inside, because it's reflected on the outside.

Thanks for any responses/suggestions/thoughts!

Ms.CuriousCat

All Star
Daps
I have my hair trimmed by a stylist after straightening and it's sporadic. Last time I had it trimmed was early December, I'll have it trimmed again on Saturday. Probably won't do it again for a few months after that but probably at least 2 more times this year...so to answer your question I have no system lol but the hair is always straight and by cut by a professional.

I've started to want straight hair these days, I'm bored of my natural hair :(

Lithe

All Star
Daps
I have my hair trimmed by a stylist after straightening and it's sporadic. Last time I had it trimmed was early December, I'll have it trimmed again on Saturday. Probably won't do it again for a few months after that but probably at least 2 more times this year...so to answer your question I have no system lol but the hair is always straight and by cut by a professional.

I've started to want straight hair these days, I'm bored of my natural hair :(

I hear you, and I understand! I don't like using heat that often, but every once in a while (maybe 2-3x a year) aside from the 4x I flat iron for trims, I'll flat iron my hair just to switch it up. But then I get antsy thinking "what if my curls don't come back?!" So it's never ending!

I almost want to go back to my tapered fade because at least that was different, and definitely less time consuming! Now that I'm at shoulder length, my hair hangs down so I can't get it back into my spherical fro I used to love to wear!

Ms.CuriousCat

All Star
Daps
I hear you, and I understand! I don't like using heat that often, but every once in a while (maybe 2-3x a year) aside from the 4x I flat iron for trims, I'll flat iron my hair just to switch it up. But then I get antsy thinking "what if my curls don't come back?!" So it's never ending!

I almost want to go back to my tapered fade because at least that was different, and definitely less time consuming! Now that I'm at shoulder length, my hair hangs down so I can't get it back into my spherical fro I used to love to wear!

Yeah once it got long enough I'd just tie it up.

I did get some heat damage at the front so my hair never curled how I wanted it. But but but it is just hair, it will grow.

The one tip I'd give is baby your ends I. E. Keep them moisturised and don't comb your hair so often in fact if you can avoid the comb just finger detangle. Then trim it as you do now. After a season of your favorite tv show you'll notice the difference.

Lithe

All Star
Daps
Yeah once it got long enough I'd just tie it up.

I did get some heat damage at the front so my hair never curled how I wanted it. But but but it is just hair, it will grow.

The one tip I'd give is baby your ends I. E. Keep them moisturised and don't comb your hair so often in fact if you can avoid the comb just finger detangle. Then trim it as you do now. After a season of your favorite tv show you'll notice the difference.

Thank you so much! Yes, hair definitely grows back if you take care of it and don't have some kind of health issue that would keep it from growing.

I was all into buying everything I saw on YouTube at the beginning of being natural (it'll be 4 years in March and I cut my hair 3 times in 2012 because that's how much I loved having a fade/TWA) and now that my hair is longer, it's picky! The Denman is rarely used anymore because it was ripping my hair out and causing mid shaft splits.

I've done finger detangling with oil before I shampoo. Wash in twists. I've been trying to lock down my moisturize and seal game so I can get my staple "holy grail" products, but there just so much out there!!

Any suggestions? I think that if I did more moisturizing and sealing (mid week) with the correct products, I'd retain more length! I'm pretty good about my protein-moisture balance and deep conditioning. Always clarify after I've used products with cones, such as after flat ironing.

Thank you!

Ms.CuriousCat

All Star
Daps
@Lithe lol you just reminded me of my product junkie days, crazy times. Benefit though is you figure out what works for you. For me I finally feel like I only need 1 product.

There was a time I wanted a leave in and a sealant. But all leave ins are just chemicals. So for now I'm sticking to castor oil. I also stopped wearing my hair curly so it works for me.

I'd say experiment but know what you're looking for. After a while it hit me that I was actually looking for a product with the right consistency. Creams were too thick and oils too light. Until now wouldn't have thought I'd find an oil heavy enough, you don't know how pleased I am.

If you're thinking of getting something ask the coli girls all of us combined have probably used all available hair products :steviej:

Ps 4 years natural so you're a veteran yourself. Don't know about you but I think most of the products I bought were a waste of money.

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
I don't trim but I need to. My hair is uneven. I don't straighten my hair so it doesn't really matter.

WashIng more frequently has allowed my hair to stay moisturized, break less and thicken up. So I mainly just clip off thin ends of my twists and braids after a wash to keep it trimmed.

Lithe

All Star
Daps
I don't trim but I need to. My hair is uneven. I don't straighten my hair so it doesn't really matter.

WashIng more frequently has allowed my hair to stay moisturized, break less and thicken up. So I mainly just clip off thin ends of my twists and braids after a wash to keep it trimmed.

Sounds nice and simple! I like! I'm afraid to cut my own ends just because of how my hair is layered. Knowing me, I'd probably end up taking too much off.

I like the way my curls look (and twist/braid outs) because of the layers and just the way my hair falls naturally. I also don't get into hair typing, nor do I buy the "good hair" thing.

Good hair is hair that's taken care of and kept healthy. Period. Hell, I wish I would've never had a relaxer, but I can understand why my mom did it. It's a lot of work, but I love it!

Thanks, @CinnaSlim

Daps
I go to a stylist and get mine trimmed. I just cut it though, and can see pretty well w/my mirror. TBH, maybe every 8 weeks. I had dreadlocks, cut them off, was natural before that(since 2011 no perm) and now it's pretty short(think Erykah Badu) I dyed it jet black, do the cherry lola method, followed by dc w/Carol's daughter vanilla , then slap a little kinky curly followed by a light spray of OGX light moroccan oil. Since it's pretty cold here on the east coast, I'll sometimes wear cute hats, but always wearing my silk bonnet underneath. I try not to manipulate it too much, because now I am totally missing the FRO

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
My hair is short so I got to the barber like every 3-4 weeks and probably get the ends trimmed every other trip. The shape of my hair is like hers so on the first trip I just get the sides trimmed down and a soft line up but won't touch the top. The next time he picks the longer part out and trims that along with the sides and a line up.

1f34d98f9afd873b2b39773d1f9a6494.jpg

Lithe

All Star
Daps
My hair is short so I got to the barber like every 3-4 weeks and probably get the ends trimmed every other trip. The shape of my hair is like hers so on the first trip I just get the sides trimmed down and a soft line up but won't touch the top. The next time he picks the longer part out and trims that along with the sides and a line up.

1f34d98f9afd873b2b39773d1f9a6494.jpg

That's beautiful!! My stylist cut 1.5 inches off and gave me a bit of a shape, so my hair looks much better with the fresh trim. I think I'm gonna wash it tonight and do finger coils with this new product I bought yesterday. I haven't worn that style in a long time, and I want to see how this product works in that style because I do not like it for my wash n go. Ended up throwing my hair into a big puff on the top of my head!

Edit: This is the product I bought! I've used the curly curl cream many times for my twists and I love it, but it's so waxy and I don't like that. Hoping this works well!
jk91tx.jpg

September

Symbol Of Excellence
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Idaho.
Do you trim them yourselves, or go to a stylist?
my aunt is a stylist and she's the only person i trust to trim

Do you have a style you wear to trim? For example, keep it curly, flat iron, trim in twists?
just wash it and then get thr trim

How often do you trim, and how much? How do you know when it's time to trim?
every 4-6 months. and very VERY little. only enough to take off the dead ends. and my aunt will let me kno when my ends look bad

How do you normally wear your hair?
bun

RoyalQ

I'm a woman.
Daps
I trim when i feel i need it. When the ends of my twists dont lock up like they should, alot of ssks, splits. I do it on clean, moisturized, dry hair. I take very small sections and cut what i need to. Can be every 2 months or more, depends.

Yo Mama

...the sweeter the juice.
Daps
Reppin
Your dreams
I used to trim monthly when I had tiny twists. Wasnted to keep them tiny.
Haven't trimmed in abuot 4 years. Not seeing as much growth as I'd like to. I think I will start trimming again.