Nate Silver vs Joe Scarborough: $1,000 bet on who wins

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Nate Silver to Joe Scarborough: Wanna Bet? - Yahoo! News

Nate Silver to Joe Scarborough: Wanna Bet?
Political polling guru Nate Silver is so confident in his statistical models that he just offered to bet MSNBC's Joe Scarborough $1,000 that Barack Obama will win re-election. Scarborough, you may recall, criticized Silver's math earlier this week, saying that "Anybody that thinks that this race is anything but a tossup right now is such an ideologue ... they're jokes." He was specifically talking about Silver's FiveThirtyEight website, which shows Mitt Romney with just a 1-in-4 chance of becoming president.

Silver has spent the week firing back, criticizing political pundits for not understanding how odds and probability work and aggressively defending his method against critics. As the week has progressed, his model has only shown Obama's chances of winning increasing, which has not coincidentally increased Silver's confidence in the outcome. (As of this morning, Five Thirty Eight gives Obama a 79 percent chance of winning, with a final Electoral College total over 300.)

The back-and-forth swipes all came to head today with this tweet, with Silver offering a friendly $1,000 wager on Tuesday's result, with the winnings going to charity.

".@joenbc: If you think it's a toss-up, let's bet. If Obama wins, you donate $1,000 to the American Red Cross. If Romney wins, I do. Deal?

— Nate Silver (@fivethirtyeight) November 1, 2012"

After that Politico story claiming Silver was putting his reputation on the line with this election, he's making it clear that he's willing to put more on the line than that. And he's also clearly fed up with pundits who aren't willing to put anything on the line to back up their numerous predictions.

Scarborough was not on the set of his MSNBC show this morning and has yet to respond, but he already has one wager riding on Tuesday's vote. Just yesterday, he agreed to a bet with Obama campaign adviser David Axelrod over their facial hair. (Axelrod will shave his mustache if Obama loses Michigan, Minnesota, or Pennsylvania. Scarborough will grow one if Romney loses Florida or North Carolina.) Will Joe put his money where his mouth—and mustache—is?

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Nate's not the one to test. Dude uses national, state and local polling, weights them and then runs multiple statistical scenarios to come up with his results.
What's Joe using to call the race a tossup? 10 polls? 5? 1? Observation? Or because there are 2 prominent candidates he is just using the most simple probability it's 50/50? Or maybe he is trying to trick his audience into keep watching by claiming it's a toss up and things can change at any second! Na, morning joe can't be that cynical.

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
We need a :smugnate: smiley. He's exposing hacks like Scarborough who are mouthpieces for the media's vested interest in proclaiming every election unpredictable so they can try and garner ratings by building up drama.

I remember on election night last year they were acting like it could go either way and still wouldn't say it's a done deal even after Obama was winning swing state after swing state.

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i wanna believe nate. but this hurricane sandy thing may cost obama nj/ny. that is very scary yall. considering only the rich people who live in these areas will be able to vote..and we all know who most of them are voting for.

Cory MBA

Bigger Picture
Daps
i wanna believe nate. but this hurricane sandy thing may cost obama nj/ny. that is very scary yall. considering only the rich people who live in these areas will be able to vote..and we all know who most of them are voting for.

The Electoral College...:whistle:

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

:childplease:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York

a fraction of NY/NJ have severe damage not the majority. Relax. There is no way Romney carries either.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

:what: those are locks to be blue on the electoral map

this hurricane would have hurt Obama if he didn't act like he was the President and kept campaigning but he showed up in NJ and stayed in DC to monitor the situation along this area of the country

i dont see how this disaster could hurt Obama at all

• Dap
Reactions: OTC

Darth Nubian

I bought my first Ki from my baby momma brother
Daps
Reppin
The Black Star

:whoa: Please stop watching Fox News.

• Dap
Reactions: Oso

OsO

Souldier
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Is there a way I can bet money on Obama to win in real life?

i know i could google a bunch of stuff but for customer quality assurance i only go to the good folks of the coli :shaq:

im puttin all the coli cash on obama but i wanna put some real cash on obama. easy money :obama: