Nas & DJ Premier - Define My Name (new single out now, album releasing later this year)

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sounds like a lot of bullshyt mixed in with some probable guess work.
I do believe Nas was recording with Preme while also working with hit boy. So that sounds believable. I don’t know about everything else though.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I do believe Nas was recording with Preme while also working with hit boy. So that sounds believable. I don’t know about everything else though.

Thats the believable part/guess work. Almost everything else sounds like fan fiction.

Nas planning an entire tour just as a smokescreen sounds like the dumbest shyt ever. Its both good business and very on brand for Nas to tour Illmatic on its important anniversaries.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I would Hate for David Kim to master/engineer Nas projects again. It's my only issue with the Nas/Hitboy Era. I think it was less noticeable on KD3 and Magic 1, but overall Nas' voice seems to "hover" over the beats. Go listen to Life is Good, and notice the striking difference in the engineering. There, Nas' voice sounds evenly layered on the beat or even "behind" the beat. Just sounds way smoother and crisp. I'm not a sound engineer so don't know the proper terms to describe it, but it's very noticeable.

Even on "Define My Name", the improvement is noticeable from Premo's team/engineer.

Eddie Sancho always works with Premo and he's engineered/mixed some of the greatest rap shyt of all time. I wasn't a big fan of Define My Name but one thing is undeniable: it knocks and everything sounds right sonically. Some of the mixing/engineering on the Hit Boy stuff felt a bit light but I think that's how Hit prefers his stuff to sound.

T.H.E.GOD

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’m loving the energy here. We started the promo ourselves for this shyt. I can feel we about to be lit within the next coming months.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I would Hate for David Kim to master/engineer Nas projects again. It's my only issue with the Nas/Hitboy Era. I think it was less noticeable on KD3 and Magic 1, but overall Nas' voice seems to "hover" over the beats. Go listen to Life is Good, and notice the striking difference in the engineering. There, Nas' voice sounds evenly layered on the beat or even "behind" the beat. Just sounds way smoother and crisp. I'm not a sound engineer so don't know the proper terms to describe it, but it's very noticeable.

Even on "Define My Name", the improvement is noticeable from Premo's team/engineer.

Idk he seems like a perfectly good engineer. Certainly on the KD series everyone talks about sonically the mixes and sequences sound
Whereas with Primo idk. Eddie Sancho don’t even do Preem’s mixing anymore, I think it’s Parks from the Joe Budden pod who’s good also

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Sounds like a lot of bullshyt mixed in with some probable guess work.

Theres some things that dont add up but to be fair even the OP says hes uncertain on. Magic was not the Lost Tapes of KD1/2, not sure where allthat 2pac diss stuff comes from etc etc. I dont think they did this awhile back but its possible (I've always believed he had been working with Alchemist secretly and he was around for the Hit Boy/Nas sessions. Basically I do believe Nas has done sessions with other producers during this run)

I do believe Hit Boy is involved from the Plug's tweet

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Theres some things that dont add up but to be fair even the OP says hes uncertain on. Magic was not the Lost Tapes of KD1/2, not sure where allthat 2pac diss stuff comes from etc etc. I dont think they did this awhile back but its possible (I've always believed he had been working with Alchemist secretly and he was around for the Hit Boy/Nas sessions. Basically I do believe Nas has done sessions with other producers during this run)

I do believe Hit Boy is involved from the Plug's tweet

Premier was definitely around during the Hit-Boy sessions, especially from Magic 1-KD3. As far as how much Hit himself has been involved with the Premo produced album I cannot say but it wouldn’t be out of the realm of possibility.

The bullshyt is in Magic 1 being KD3 throwaways. Their not and both Nas and Hit-Boy have spoken on the origins of Magic. Also Nas touring as a smokescreen for the Premo album is complete bullshyt

Dylmatic

All Star
Daps
Reppin
France
A comment on Reddit :

I watched him perform at a festival in Belgium a few weeks ago and he performed a part of Define My Name. After the song he said “Y’all ain’t ready for what’s coming next, but I have to get this one right tho” Clearly referencing their upcoming album so it’s definitely still coming, don’t worry.