Nas & DJ Premier - Define My Name (new single out now, album releasing later this year)

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
People forget that back in the “day” artists, ESPECIALLY Nas, were notorious for what was once known as “The Street Single”. These were songs that were meant to wet the appetites of fans while the artist was in album mode. A teaser so to speak. Sometimes the street single would gain traction and be included on the final tracklisting and sometimes it would gain just enough buzz for some mixtape inclusions and DJ Spins. Nas does this often. The General was the street single for Stillmatic. Where Ya’ll At was the street single for Hip Hop Is Dead. Be A ****** Too was the street single for Untitled. Nasty was the street single for Life Is Good. The only one of these songs that ended up the actual album was Nasty and that was only on the Deluxe Edition.

Define My Name is dope to me personally, but I think its clear this song was meant to be a celebration of Illmatic 30, a gift to fans, and an announcement that the long awaited, mythical, mystical, monumental collab album between the greatest lyricist of all time and a top 5 ranked producer was indeed happening. This is the STREET single. We should all enjoy it as such and not necessarily as a clue of the sonic direction Nas and Preme will take with the album.

I'll never forget going to NaS's website (He's one of the first artist to have an interactive website). When "Stillmatic" was about to drop, all the sudden the site changed and the "The General" beat started playing. (LOL@ Both Swizz tracks ended up taken off Stillmatic). NaS has always utilized street singles to promote his albums. Good post. Also I loved "Where Ya'll At" and "Be A N!@@a Too". Wasn't "The N" a street single too? I know it ended up on that Def Jam Compilation around the same time as "Hip Hop is Dead". I got a CDQ version with the instrumental. I like that joint as well.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I'll never forget going to NaS's website (He's one of the first artist to have an interactive website). When "Stillmatic" was about to drop, all the sudden the site changed and the "The General" beat started playing. (LOL@ Both Swizz tracks ended up taken off Stillmatic). NaS has always utilized street singles to promote his albums. Good post. Also I loved "Where Ya'll At" and "Be A N!@@a Too". Wasn't "The N" a street single too? I know it ended up on that Def Jam Compilation around the same time as "Hip Hop is Dead". I got a CDQ version with the instrumental. I like that joint as well.

If i’m not mistaken The N was a leak that they just ran with

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
He wasn't announcing the hit shyt until it was wrapping up or done. I liked that. Let's see how this goes.

I think this Premo album will have more build up and more of a traditional rollout, which I think it definitely deserves. They should be doing interviews, videos, the whole 9 yards.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
My name existed forever
Before christians came into america, even better
when click sounds of they mouths was language for humans
with stick figures in caves mmy names written fluent
nasty like way before even rome had sewage

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
I can't even go on Nas just raps different on Primo beats

DNA of king james, kin of saint michael
Polygamous-minded, seven wives on ridiculous timin'

maaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

TEACH THESE nikkaS HOW TO RAP YO
HOW ITS SUPPOSE TO SOUND
:damn::damn::damn::damn::damn:
200w.gif
Yea Nas just sounds "at home" on this type of production. Even though the beat itself is not great. Nas still sounds better on it than any of those flat ass hitboy Beats.

Figaro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 36 Chambers
Premier - You got another album coming out

Nas - :lupe:....yeah with Premier :mjgrin:

Nas rightly knows to get tight lipped with any other news around Premo.

I can remember Premo was leaking reacords he produced on his radio set in the mid 00's with out rappers permission :mjlol:

Had a few rappers tight.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Premier - You got another album coming out

Nas - :lupe:....yeah with Premier :mjgrin:

Nas rightly knows to get tight lipped with any other news around Premo.

I can remember Premo was leaking reacords he produced on his radio set in the mid 00's with out rappers permission :mjlol:

Had a few rappers tight.

Lmao I watched that part twice to make sure it was Premier asking that question. I thought it was the white dude in the studio with them