Nas & DJ Premier - Define My Name (new single out now, album releasing later this year)

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
Kinda what I had expected it to be. Primo is my favorite producer ever but we all know he's way past his prime. So the critique doesn't come from a hate standpoint. Every producer has a formula/standard sound, so that's not the problem. The problem is that Primo's formulaic sound hasn't been updated to modern times and it's stuck in 99. Nas lyrics is sharp as it always is, so that's never a problem. I'll hold off judgement until we get the full album (if or when that happens).

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
beats and lyrics. I don't care how great your lyrics are, if your beats are trash, I'm not gonna like it. And you Nas fans (that nikka t i informant), don't start this bullshyt. I was buying Nas albums or shyt she was featured on when most of you were still learning to conjugate verbs. I been down since bbq. shyt, I've bought Illmatic and different forms of it such as 10th anniversary, 20th anniversary at least 6 or 7 times in tape, cd, and vinyl format. I have versions of Nas albums and vinyl you don't even know existed So don't come at me with this bullshyt today. fuk off
Take your tampon out. My parents were friends with Nas' pops.:umad:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
@TheDarceKnight man the ownerz is a personal classic to me too. I still play that a lot.

And @Blessed Koala i had kinda slept on that record I’m glad you posted it. I’ll give it another shot.

But for me this is the last Primo beat that made me say WOW. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.

This was like 14 years ago.

I'm a resident Ev stan but I like the stuff that he and Preem do together

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Have to disagree with Preem not making beat battle type beats. shyt like Boom and Half and Half is fading 99.9% of cats. I agree that he does purposely tailor his beats for vocals to standout though.
I mean I didn't mean to paint with that broad of a brush. He definitely has beat battle beats too, but I just mean like his first concern is always the rapper and making sure they have enough space to work in. Most of the greats are like that. Dre's beats have lots of spaces. Etc.

I get why this beat is underwhelming to some cats, and it's not their best song or anything, but it's not wack at all.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Well I liked "Beat Breaks". I hope it's an "Illmatic" 30th Anniversary EP or track.

artworks-000169683389-wo5dm1-t500x500.jpg

I've NEVER heard this song, and it's :fire:

:whew:

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Beat is weak but wasn't expecting much as premo fell off at least a decade ago. I will say though. The beat itself bangs way harder than any of those hitboy beats and nas's lyrics just come through way cleaner.

That's another issue I have with hitboys beats. The mixing. They always sound so flat and the levels are all over the place. This premo beat is very mid but at least nas's voice and lyrics are popping through. Nas just feels more at home on this style of production. It's just the facts:yeshrug:

But overall this is the reason I wasn't necessarily too hyped about them coming together. Cause premo's sample game just isn't the same anymore. They have no character. Just way too monotonous and repetitive. He shoulda gave Nas the beat he gave snoop. This shyt is WAY better.

This right here.

Same thing I've been saying about Preem's beats for the past few years. They definitely don’t have character anymore. They used to come to life and kill everything else that was around back in the day. Nowadays, it's more about just being happy to see dude still working. Even the Snoop joint was kinda dry to me. But that beat was better than the Nas beat too, but still not that dope.

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Because Nas rhymed over the beat. It's the beat primo presented to him and he chose it. Primo said he mostly makes beats for artists and not have them choose from a variety of them (as most producers do). Edo G detailed the "sayin something" track he did with Primo. He said Primo made ONE BEAT for him and he didn't like the first one and then he made another one that he picked. Similar to Dilla and Common with the beats he gave him for Electric Circus. Dilla said those are the tracks that Common wanted and the direction he wanted to go. If Nas didn't like that track, he could have had Primo make him another one. It's the one he chose for this song.

No one is forced to rap over a beat.

Premier made the Devil's Pie beat for Canibus. He didn't like it so Premier gave him his money back. He ran into D'Angelo, told him the story about the beat, D asked to hear it, and bought it for himself.

Alchemist said Nas was supposed to use the We Gonna Make It beat but he never recorded to it and tried to pass it to Nashawn. Al then played it for Jay and he passed on it too.

Havoc was about to erase the Shook Ones beat because he didn't like it. If P hadn't walked in the room and stopped him we'd never get that song.

Rappers hear a great beat and don't use it but then rap over a beat people don't like. You can't blame the producer when the artist has the final say.

Tommy Gibbs

Superstar
Daps
No one is forced to rap over a beat.

Premier made the Devil's Pie beat for Canibus. He didn't like it so Premier gave him his money back. He ran into D'Angelo, told him the story about the beat, D asked to hear it, and bought it for himself.

Alchemist said Nas was supposed to use the We Gonna Make It beat but he never recorded to it and tried to pass it to Nashawn. Al then played it for Jay and he passed on it too.

Havoc was about to erase the Shook Ones beat because he didn't like it. If P hadn't walked in the room and stopped him we'd never get that song.

Rappers hear a great beat and don't use it but then rap over a beat people don't like. You can't blame the producer when the artist has the final say.
that's the point I was making. Primo didn't have a gun to his head. He made the beat and Nas took it with no problem