Nas & DJ Premier - Define My Name (new single out now, album releasing later this year)

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
What I'm saying is, he worked with lesser talented producers way too much, when he had the option to roll with GOAT producers who said he didn't call them. Premier being one of them. He said he was trying to do more work with Nas 20 years ago, but Nas wasn't getting back to him.

Nas has worked mad heavily with dudes that can't even touch the greats. So imagine what he could've done if he gave the better legends the same amount of time he's given dudes like HB. I love the singles Salaam gave Nas, but he gave him way more forgettable sh*t. Alchemist said he's been telling Nas for years to get back in with him, but he said it just hasn't happened. Large Professor said whenever Nas is ready to do a project together, he's ready and waiting. But said Nas ain't get with him yet on that. So if he could pivot and work more with dudes at THAT level, we're talking instant classics.

I get people want him to work with names vs who he has chemstry with at the time. And dudes like Dre and Premier are notourious for taking their time which cant always wait for (remember Nas is like he had to rush cause he was about to miss the dealine and he missed the deadline for HHID and I remember him saying "Yo he should really drop in 2007")

Al would be cool but Al got a lot on and I know he hates dealing with labels even Mass Appeal when it was Deacon so we'll see. They'll probably work on a project too eventually

But I will say in the last 20 years, his best work isnt coming from the big name guys at all, so at some people gotta accept the dope stuff may come from people they least expect for him

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Yeah, same.

If he was willing to clear all of Hitboy's samples I'm assuming he would do the same for the Preem album, but I guess we'll wait and see.

... What's the last Alc produced album you listened to? Hitboy does just as much drumless shyt as he does. It's weird how many people try to define him with that shyt.

Robbin Hood Theory was fire though.

From what Ive seen in recent interviews and spaces, a lot of Hit's stuff isnt sample based. Theres some obvious ones like Legit but hes even said he'll make a joint and have someone record vocals to loop and chop as a sample. so he doesnt have that many

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
We don't know the behind the scenes shyt of everything but it was definitely beef with Pete Rock and shyt probably soured with Hav while Nas was beefing with P

It's a shame he didn't work with Premier more in the 00's, I agree on that one...

Also you're bugging on No ID, would easily take his LIG beats over those two Pete Rock Lost Tapes beats...The Art Of It would have been so much better if it hadn't been horribly mixed

Pete was supposed to be on IWW. Submitted beats and all that, and Nas passed. Large Professor was on Video Music Box doing a park jam with Lord Finesse in The Bronx a couple years ago talking into the camera saying, "Yo, Nas! Let's work again, man. The people want that". Almost as if he didn't even have dude's number to call him.

So I don’t get why he passes on working with some of the best ever, but chooses to do mad mad work with dudes that can't even touch the greats. It's weird. I think he wants to dodge the pressure of working with the Ilmatic and IWW crew too much because those are his best joints and people will compare. Because there's no reason why Large Professor should be begging dude to call him back to work together, lol. That's crazy.

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
Pete was supposed to be on IWW. Submitted beats and all that, and Nas passed. Large Professor was on Video Music Box doing a park jam with Lord Finesse in The Bronx a couple years ago talking into the camera saying, "Yo, Nas! Let's work again, man. The people want that". Almost as if he didn't even have dude's number to call him.

So I don’t get why he passes on working with some of the best ever, but chooses to do mad mad work with dudes that can't even touch the greats. It's weird. I think he wants to dodge the pressure of working with the Ilmatic and IWW crew too much because those are his best joints and people will compare. Because there's no reason why Large Professor should be begging dude to call him back to work together, lol. That's crazy.

Hmmm I heard the opposite on Large Pro after Illmatic, Nas wanted him on IWW and Large Pro told him he needed to branch out from his mentor

And like I said with Pete it was beef :yeshrug:

Brandon M.

City of Angels
Daps
big nas stan here

with that said

not a fan of this song
not a fan of these old beats b

we in 2024 b
Magic Catalogue is Classic

this is throwaway honestly

MikeStamina

All Star
Daps
Nas the goat but he got some of the worst taste in beats. :mjlol:

I’m glad he had Hit-Boy to help him out with that.

Right....beats terrible
Yet can go song for song with any rapper
And is in contention for dopest catalog

Somebody make it make sense

If he ain't for you, he ain't for you. Stop forcing it
30yrs of material is enough sample 😒
shyt is just cliche at this point