Nas & DJ Premier - Define My Name (new single out now, album releasing later this year)

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Not announcing a date and saying "later this year" in the press release means it might come out in December for all we know or even get pushed back to 2025. :lolbron:

Probably smart to take in any feedback and see

But also we know Nas has a work ethic, Preemo is the one you gotta see. He’s working Prhyme 3 so it’s better not to set any release date

UnQuantized

Superstar
Daps
I'm not hearing the hate, can't understand it. This is dope. It feels like this will be added to the album as a bonus track though, its just a teaser.
This is how I am looking at it, Nas came through but I know Premo can do way more considering what he did with PRhyme.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
On an overall all time list of greatest producers sure, but for Nas?

Salaam has given better overall stuff to him than Dre even. Phone Tap and Hustlers was great but yall were the ones not liking Nas is coming
Meanwhile salaam gave him some of his best street singles in the 00s

What I'm saying is, he worked with lesser talented producers way too much, when he had the option to roll with GOAT producers who said he didn't call them. Premier being one of them. He said he was trying to do more work with Nas 20 years ago, but Nas wasn't getting back to him.

Nas has worked mad heavily with dudes that can't even touch the greats. So imagine what he could've done if he gave the better legends the same amount of time he's given dudes like HB. I love the singles Salaam gave Nas, but he gave him way more forgettable sh*t. Alchemist said he's been telling Nas for years to get back in with him, but he said it just hasn't happened. Large Professor said whenever Nas is ready to do a project together, he's ready and waiting. But said Nas ain't get with him yet on that. So if he could pivot and work more with dudes at THAT level, we're talking instant classics.

Last edited:

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
Didn't sound like a sample. I've heard him use some of those sounds before.
Yeah, same.

If he was willing to clear all of Hitboy's samples I'm assuming he would do the same for the Preem album, but I guess we'll wait and see.
I dunno if I want Nas over a whole album of that drumless psychedelic shyt either tbh
... What's the last Alc produced album you listened to? Hitboy does just as much drumless shyt as he does. It's weird how many people try to define him with that shyt.
Song ain't wack at all, but it doesn't stand out either. It's just kinda "there". Reminds me of "Robbin Hood Theory" off Moment Of Truth.
Robbin Hood Theory was fire though.

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
What I'm saying is, he worked with lesser talented producers way too much, when he had the option to roll with GOAT producers who said he didn't call them. Premier being one of them. He said he was trying to do more work with Nas 20 years ago, but Nas wasn't getting back to him.

We don't know the behind the scenes shyt of everything but it was definitely beef with Pete Rock and shyt probably soured with Hav while Nas was beefing with P

It's a shame he didn't work with Premier more in the 00's, I agree on that one...

Also you're bugging on No ID, would easily take his LIG beats over those two Pete Rock Lost Tapes beats...The Art Of It would have been so much better if it hadn't been horribly mixed
Yeah, same.

If he was willing to clear all of Hitboy's samples I'm assuming he would do the same for the Preem album, but I guess we'll wait and see.

... What's the last Alc produced album you listened to? Hitboy does just as much drumless shyt as he does. It's weird how many people try to define him with that shyt.

Hall and Nash 2 or maybe that Earl Sweatshirt shyt I think, they were cool but the beats get kinda samey to me :yeshrug:

Dylmatic

All Star
Daps
Reppin
France
Feedback has been mostly positive from what I read on Twitter and other places.

I like it a lot for a warm up single celebrating Illmatic 30th birthday and announcing a future album.