Nas & DJ Premier - Define My Name (new single out now, album releasing later this year)

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
Bumped it in the car today. The run from the Intro up to We Will Survive is CLASSIC. I want to talk to you, Dr Knockboot, and Life Is What You Make it bring it down a peg (and Big Things for many people even though I like that song) before ending strong.

I am is the poster child for “Leaks fukked up my album rollout”. Well I am and Food N Liquor.

Life Is What You Make it is a banger tho

Superstar
Daps
Hell he didn’t promote Magic till posting it on IG on Christmas Eve hours before it got released

When I first saw it I thought he was promoting a documentary or some sh1t I didn’t think there was anyway he was dropping more new music

I consider the first “Magic” a timeless personal classic. I sometimes play the other KD’s and Magic’s but Magic 1 is the one I always run back in it’s entirety, often.

Superstar
Daps
:snoop: Smh so you mean to tell me they heard car 85, the cure, speechless, thun, reminice, store run, nobody, slow it down, fever, Japanese soul bar and said mannn this is wack haha. I find it very hard to believe they listened without an unbiased ear.

“Thun” had me locked in instantly. It’s a big reason why KD3 is my favorite of the “King’s Disease” series.

:ahh:

“Speechless” had me the same way with Magic 1.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Facts. I want to hear the shyt him and LL cooked up.

I don’t why more cats don’t reach out to him. He’s a fukkin legend that still is producing heat

Same!

LL played a couple of previews on IG, and they were all crazy! Tip is just one of those people that never stops working on music. But he's also incorporating live instrumentation with samples now too, so he's just taking his normal greatness to an even higher level. It's wild.

Superstar
Daps
I'm Ready :ahh:

featured-photo-13.jpg

:mjcry:

FGQTuF6WYAMFx2P

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Tip still needs to finish that LL album

Theres other people I'd be more interested hearing Nas with at this point (Alchemist, Metro Boomin, Madlib, Harry Fraud) but at this point Im just fine to hear what he got. Only problem I have is Nas gotta fight perception and constantly releasing stuff means people only judge him by his last record and I already know this album gonna bring up those type of fans.

LL said that album is done. I think they finished that a minute ago. Just need to drop it.

Harry Fraud isn't dope enough to do a whole project with Nas. Neither is Metro Boomin. His sh*t doesn't match what Nas does. I highly doubt he would call Madlib. But if he got back with ALC and did a whole project, I think that would be crazy. They still speak.

But you're right about the fans. Because Nas has two types of fans. He has poser fans who just became fans after "Ether", and he has day one fans who remember when he was working at the highest standard in the game, around '94-'98. So I think as long as he's pairing with dudes who are on his same level, but on the production side, he'll be perfectly fine. But he should definitely do that with a certified legend. Hip Hop has been asking for that since like '95, back when he said he would like to do an album with RZA. That level of legacy is what would be really dope.

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I LOVE Ghetto Prisoners tho. Beat and everything.

That beat is horrible :hhh:

This is kinda corny but if you're a real Stanley you'll just play along

Let's play a little game in anticipation of the new track drop and #Illmatic30th anniversary

Say how you listened to illmatic the first time, the last time and whats your favorite version of it.

I'll set things off

First time I've heard the album around 2001 due to the you know what with you know who, online bootleg version.

Most recent, I'm listening right now to Illmatic XX (the remixes sound better now than I remember) and will follow up with the Live from Kennedy Center version from 2018.

My favorite version is the black and white cover 10 year double disc release with Star Wars as a bonus, only physical I own of the record.

God I hope they both bring it for this little track !

YO GO NEXT !!!

I bought the cassette after school on the release date. We'd bring The Source to school and talk about hip hop so getting 5 mics was huge. It was a long ass wait from their review to when the album came out. Might have been two months. Not to mention we waited 3 years for Nasty Nas to put an album out. All we had was Live at the BBQ, Halftime, and Back to the Grill so he was damn near an urban legend. We thought he just disappeared and was never coming out with anything else. No mixtapes or social media then.

I remember popping the tape in for the bus ride home and being in awe but overwhelmed by the lyricism. Normally you'd catch everything on the first listen but not Nas. No one was rhyming like that at the time. NY State of Mind especially. That song is still #1 for me. No one was telling stories with that level of detail and the beat :damn:

Doggystyle was still spinning and I couldn't even listen to it anymore. Snoop just sounded wack to me. 36 Chambers wasn't even hitting the same. Listen to Rae and Ghost on there and then Cuban Linx in 1995. Nas raised the bar and made them step up to another level.

Production was equally a step up. No one had a line up like that. Albums were only 1 producer at the time.